6.5x284 or .280ai

Magnum would be nice, but I don't want one. I want something with a standard bolt face that will fit in a savage 110 action because that is what I have to build on. If I build a magnum it will be the 28 nosler.
You do realize the .28 Nosler and 7mm STW are virtually identical ballistically speaking, right?

I did not know the 6xc was the cartridge of choice for elk, especially at 1k. Hell that means all them stw owners can kill elk 2 states over. Learn something new everyday.

So I was a little overzealous w/ the 1500ft/lbs.. more like 1200ft/lbs.
I'm an STW guy, but that was some funny stuff. :D:D:D

Didn't say it was the choice cartridge. Just saying that they kill elk at 1000 yards with it but the 280ai don't have enough energy to do it?

How is that?

Yes that's what I said. A 280 will not and cannot kill an elk at any distance with any charge.

yeah I know the stw and nosler are similar but I like the nosler.

For the ones arguing velocity and energy would a .357 magnum pistol kill a elk at 10 yards?

No! It will just bounce off!! Sounds to me like too many people just repeat what they hear or what they read on forums. It all sounds too familiar. Build what you want, elk are not bullet proof, just tenatious.

SemperFi

Are you gonna single feed or mag feed? Because that's where the 6.5x284 falls short, the 280AI will mag feed easily from most systems. But I'd run the 6.5x280ack, you get the reliability of the 280AI for feeding and the power/fun factor of the 6.5x284 plus some. With my 6.5x280ack I'm getting 3200 with the 130 berger and 3066 with the 142 Matrix, both loads ran with Retumbo and BR2. Not that the 280AI lacks anything but for a fun smaller rifle the lack of recoil in the 6.5 is nicer IMO.
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

The .284 case can be a little tricky. My 6.5/284 is built on a 111 action, purchased new as a .270 win. I bought direct from Savage the specific 6.5/284 magazine shell and hinged floor magazine bottom metal (the donor rifle being a blind mag). As long as I close the bolt smartly, it feeds fine. If I forget and just casually slide it forward gently, the top round often pops free before the bullet is contained inside the receiver and will go sideways. It has never happened to me when shooting fast strings, only when I baby the bolt. My 280 Ackley on the other hand, has the standard long action magazine liner and has never hiccupped even once, fast or slow makes no difference whatsoever. Both these rifles are the newer "centerfeed" style magazines.

Maybe calf elk at 1k. Your load falls below 1500ft/lb by 600yds, at 1k its a measly 705ft/lb. I wouldn't even shoot squirrel w/ that little energy.

Given the op shoots mostly deer w/ the occasional elk I would build the 6.5 and you have the option of using lapua brass. I can't comment on mag length but I know if you shoot the 280 loaded long w/ the bearing surface ending at the neck shoulder junction you'll probably have a single shot. I know my 280 is (savage).

anyone that makes a statement like I would not shoot a squirrel with a 705 ft lb rifle would surely be off 100% on the energy of the 280 AI at 1000 yds

OP, for the two options of cartridges you gave, I would go with the .280 AI also. While the 6.5 will kill an elk at longish range with proper bullet and shot placement, the .280AI will have a little more oomph at those same ranges, and will extend your range while remaining above your personal threshold for energy and velocity remaining on target. Remember, bullet manufacturers often state a minimum velocity for proper expansion. Heavier bullets at about the same velocity and BC as a lighter bullet will bleed off speed slower.

Either one would be PLENTY for deer at 1K. Coyotes would not stand a chance at 1300+.

I think either round will do the job, and an elk or deer couldn't tell the difference between the two under similar circumstances. My personal favorite is the 6.5x284. My rifles produce benchrest accuracy, light recoil, and the 140 VLD's driven at 3000FPS give exceptional terminal performance on game between 200 and 1000 yards.

Has anyone used the 6.5x284 in a savage staggerfeed magazine? The donor rifle is a staggerfeed blind mag.

I haven't decided yet. I was gonna let how It will feed out of the magazine determine it. I want both and from what I can gather is that both will get the job done.

I haven't decided yet. I was gonna let how It will feed out of the magazine determine it. I want both and from what I can gather is that both will get the job done.

The 6.5 x 284 feeds just fine without modifications from a Savage long action blind magazine. Good luck on your build.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.