6.5 or 6.5x284

Greyfox, you have some load info for me to start out with? Light for break in the starting point for hunting loads? Appreciate it.
A good starting point would be:

140gr VLD
Lapua Brass, .292" neck OD
56gr Retumbo, Fed 210M/215M primer
Seat: start .020" Off the lands-
-Optimize between .010"-.090"
-Work up charge in .3gr increments.
Velocity range: 2950-3015FPS

One of my loads:
1BE1535F-9DC7-4FD7-874F-D027264B4216.jpeg

6.5 X 284 is an excellent choice. A Savage long range hunter is also an excellent choice as the initial investment is below a grand. Barrel life can be an issue but if it's going to be primarily a hunting rifle I seriously doubt if you'll ever wear the barrel out. Generally those concerned about barrel life and accuracy are those who are shooting competitively and who are looking to put all of their shots thru the same hole. Again, for a hunting rifle this will last you quite a while if not forever. Even if you were to wear it out there are very prominent barrel makers that make drop in replacements for right at 325.00. The Savage that I mentioned above even comes with a muzzle break ,though not needed with the 6.5 X 284, but given your shoulder situation it would be of a great benefit. Prior posts speak to a high cost for factory ammo and their right. However, the reloading options are many. The 6.5 X 284 is the perfect caliber for accuracy, very little recoil, long range considerations, and it's an easy cartridge to reload. If you or your friends do your reloading just spend the extra $ for top - notch brass. Lapua or Nosler. Hope this helps.

just tossing this out to learn some, I have model 700 adl that I am considering building off of or selling it and putting cash toward Christensen Ridgeline. Gun is 280 Remington. Smith said to turn into a 28 would be more cost than what it would be worth(not sure what all is involved) but reading more on the 6.5 calibers I am liking the lower recoil issues. I had shoulder surgery last year and I really turned into a softy now and 6.5 seems to be nice in that area? From studying on here the 6.5 Creedmoor is gonna have better barrel life but 6.5x284 has higher performance. What's better trade off for whitetail gun and maybe a couple elk mule deer trips someday down the road ? My head is spinning with all the info on here . Thanks

Not going to read all of the post above, but.....a 280 shooting 140's vs a 6.5-284 shooting 140's.....with the same platform...you can't tell the difference between the two when it comes to recoil, so why change? Your title says " 6.5 or 6.5-284". A 6.5-284 IS a 6.5, so I don't know what you are asking.

If I was changing from a 280 to a 6.5, and recoil was an issue, I would chamber up a 6.5-47L and shoot the 123 - 130 class bullets.

Just my .02,
Tod

6.5 X 284 is an excellent choice. A Savage long range hunter is also an excellent choice as the initial investment is below a grand. Barrel life can be an issue but if it's going to be primarily a hunting rifle I seriously doubt if you'll ever wear the barrel out. Generally those concerned about barrel life and accuracy are those who are shooting competitively and who are looking to put all of their shots thru the same hole. Again, for a hunting rifle this will last you quite a while if not forever. Even if you were to wear it out there are very prominent barrel makers that make drop in replacements for right at 325.00. The Savage that I mentioned above even comes with a muzzle break ,though not needed with the 6.5 X 284, but given your shoulder situation it would be of a great benefit. Prior posts speak to a high cost for factory ammo and their right. However, the reloading options are many. The 6.5 X 284 is the perfect caliber for accuracy, very little recoil, long range considerations, and it's an easy cartridge to reload. If you or your friends do your reloading just spend the extra $ for top - notch brass. Lapua or Nosler. Hope this helps.

Since you have a long action I would go 6.5-284 or 6.5-06 if you want a 6.5 cal or just keep your 280 or convert to 280AI. All will take any animal in North America.

Last edited:
I decided to leave my 280 as is for now, possibly do stock , barrel and trigger later on. I bought a Christensen arms ridgeline in 6.5x284 and bought a nightforce ATACR 5x25x56. I thank everyone on this forum for all the advice and knowledge!

Thanks guys, big cheese for sure . Never had anything of this caliber of equipment before. I will keep you posted I hope to get some rounds loaded up for barrel break in and see how it all plays out.

Thanks guys, big cheese for sure . Never had anything of this caliber of equipment before. I will keep you posted I hope to get some rounds loaded up for barrel break in and see how it all plays out.

Get some RL26 and start around 53grs with the 140s EOLs and move up. 53gr of RL26 should get you around 2989fps out of a 28" 1-8 barrel. I found a accuracy node around 3125fps in my barrel.

I started off looking for 140 hybrids but with the Berger shortage due to factory relocation I went with 143 ELDX. I have read good things about them on the forums as well.

I started off looking for 140 hybrids but with the Berger shortage due to factory relocation I went with 143 ELDX. I have read good things about them on the forums as well.

I have been mainly shooting the 140 RDFs with that 26RL load and with better accuracy than the 140 EOLs...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.