6.5x284 or .280ai

I will give you my opinion on these calibers.

The 280AI out performs the 6.5 x 284 across the board on anything 140gr or higher. If you plan on shooting 140gr bullets the 280AI will have about 500lbs more energy at the muzzle and will shoot flatter, this will come at the cost of slightly more recoil and more powder burned. The 140gr bullets start to level out after about 600 yards due to the better ballistics of the 6.5 bullet and are really close at 1000 yards energy wise but with the slower velocity of the 6.5 will have dropped an additional 40ish inchs over the 280AI at that distance.

If you decide to jump up to a 168gr or 180gr bullet with the 280AI then there is really no question the 280AI is a better choice since you cannot get that heavy of a bullet for the 6.5 and at 500 yard the 168gr bullet is carrying 500lbs more energy that the 140 from the 6.5 and at 1000 it is still 300lbs more with 20in less drop.

Essentially the 280AI will shoot a 180gr bullet at the same velocity that the 6.5 will shoot a 140gr bullet. In the end it comes down to what you want out of the rifle, if you are only planning on loading 140gr bullets or lighter you might as well just buy the 6.5 since you will not be using the 280AI to its full potential anyways. If your particular rifle has feed issues then that could cost you a shot and defiantly is something to consider.

I personally went with the 280AI because I want the extra energy it has and I will be using it for both deer and elk hunting. I am shooting 168gr Bergers at 2932fps. I have only had the rifle for a few months and I am very pleased with it. It is built on a 700 action with a 25" barrel.

I can reload my brass for $1.10 a round using retumbo, BR2 primers and Berger Bullets. Add another $1 a round for new Nosler or Norma brass or .50c for Remington if you can find it. IMO that is pretty reasonable for a round capable of shooting and hunting out to 1000 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.