7wsm or 280ai

True, but I think it's simpler to just neck down the 300 with a bushing than fire form and you get a tad more case capacity. JMO

EDIT: after thinking about this for a minute... how can you fire form to a smaller case? Am I missing something?

7mmWSM is bigger.

Necked down Norma 300wsm on the left, regular 7mmWSM on the right.

S8000682.jpg

[/QUOTE] EDIT... Cooper rifles are a bargain for the price, and with a little load work will usually shoot .2's-.3's. No flame to Tank, but the Coopers *are* guaranteed to shoot less than .5 MOA *and* come with factory shot target. Said target is only shot @ 42 yds, but many groups resemble one hole. In fact the first Cooper target I ever saw - I thought it was only one shot. Coopers are also made with custom quality craftsmanship and materials. Take a close look at their bolts and actions. Not at all knocking Savages... most apparantly shoot very well, but there is no guarantee and no tartget and in no way can compare to Cooper in overall quality. You usually get what you pay for and Coopers are a bargain.[/QUOTE]

I have always liked the cooper rifles- since they started making the repeaters I have thought about thinning out some safe queens and buying one exceptional shooter to handle 90% of my needs. Cooper rifles just seem like a whole lot of bang for the buck- just strap on a good scope and be done with it. No messing around tinkering with things to get to a 1/2 moa.
If I did alot of high country hunting, I don't think I would hesitate to invest in the cooper- it would be a hell of a medium weight rig. What I think I really want is something with a little more heft to it, with a little longer, beefier barrel. Something that really settles in and holds well. Something with an almost tactical look and style to it.
My son will be shooting this also. He has never shot at long ranges- he actually just killed his first buck with a rifle this fall. We did pass up on a 165 class whitetail this trip- he was 325'ish in a good wind, and he wasn't comfortable with the shot. It was a very makeable shot, just not for him at this time. I think he will be more interested in shooting if it has that tactical/sniper look and feel. We may just settle for a 308 to start with, just to get him some reps.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.