6.5x284 grouping help

marioq

I need some help guys

I have a Mcmillan 6.5x284 that I can not get to shoot.
I have tried HSM ammo. I have tried Norma ammo. Then I tried reloading with 140 grain Berger and Retumbo powder starting at 57.0 grains and I've been up to 59gr by .2 gr increments.
I have also tried seating them at about .020 off to .010 and no change. All about 1.5 Moa at 100 yards.

I bought some eld-x 143 gr and I am going to try them. But I just don't understand why a custom gun can't shoot at .5moa with stock ammo. My mcwhorters can all shoot really well with stock ammo.

Anyway thought I would pose the question to y'all since there is so much knowledge here. Also checked scope and call Mcmillan. They said torque to 50 in lbs and it wasn't there but it is now.

Any way thanks in advance for any ideas.

Thanks

Mario

I need some help guys

I have a Mcmillan 6.5x284 that I can not get to shoot.
I have tried HSM ammo. I have tried Norma ammo. Then I tried reloading with 140 grain Berger and Retumbo powder starting at 57.0 grains and I've been up to 59gr by .2 gr increments.
I have also tried seating them at about .020 off to .010 and no change. All about 1.5 Moa at 100 yards.

I bought some eld-x 143 gr and I am going to try them. But I just don't understand why a custom gun can't shoot at .5moa with stock ammo. My mcwhorters can all shoot really well with stock ammo.

Anyway thought I would pose the question to y'all since there is so much knowledge here. Also checked scope and call Mcmillan. They said torque to 50 in lbs and it wasn't there but it is now.

Any way thanks in advance for any ideas.

Thanks

Mario

I couldnt come close to shooting 59 grains in any I've been around. All mine have shot 140 Bergers and 56.5 grains w/210m's and lapua brass fairly well. One gun liked them just off the lands, another liked them .010 jammed. Heard alot of guys running them up to .100 off.

Thank you!!!! I'm gonna go buy some 4350. I just read so much about retumbo on another thread here. But also frustrating is a custom gun can't shoot better with stock ammo.

Thank you and I'll try that load. Starting lower and work up of course.

Depending on the lot you may find the Retumbo accuracy load under 57 grains. The Shilen I had was 56.5.

Mario, my 6.5 x 284 loves the H4831SC with Bergers and Sierra MK.

I just loaded a bunch up last night with that powder with 140 grain burgers seated Where Bob Beck told me to seek them on his other Mcmillan as he used to shoot. I hope it makes a difference. I will find out later today. I'm also waiting on a call back from Kelly Mcmillan about my rifle.

What is the twist rate of your barrel?
Of my three 6.5x284's, two shoot .25MOA at .075" off the lands, one .020"
off the lands. Seating makes s significant difference and should be tesed from at lands to .1" off lands.

off the lands. Seating makes s significant difference and should be tesed from at lands to .1" off lands.

Wow. Didn't realize it was such a range. Ok I'll be much more vigilant of this.

off the lands. Seating makes s significant difference and should be tested from at lands to .1" off lands.

+1! What he said!

65x284 likes a little squeeze and the neck tension and some room up in the nk area,
mine shot 50 gr 4831sc 140 vld's .030 off the lands, they are sometimes hard 2 tune, I sold mine wish I still hader,

Keep playing with seating depth and see where it takes you. Also keep in mind that not all custom rifles are 1/2 MOA shooters . You are right to expect a high level of accuracy, and a 6.5x284 should deliver, but regardless of the cartridge and money spent, some rifles simply aren't capable of extreme accuracy. Good luck, keep experimenting.

Keep playing with seating depth and see where it takes you. Also keep in mind that not all custom rifles are 1/2 MOA shooters . You are right to expect a high level of accuracy, and a 6.5x284 should deliver, but regardless of the cartridge and money spent, some rifles simply aren't capable of extreme accuracy. Good luck, keep experimenting.

Hahaha if so I'm sending this thing back to mcmillian!!!!

Hope not the case

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.