6.5x284 grouping help

I think you're on the right track, keep at it and keep us informed . When members solve issues like these it helps everyone when the solution is posted up .

For sure. Thanks for the input. I shot the other powder where bob to me to put it with OAL and didn't reach max pressure so I'll keep going. Then I'll come all the way out to lands. But I'll keep it up

ok so I want to run this by y'all for the next step
Measured OAL with OAL gauge and other ways and came out to 3.245for Berger and 3.258 with a barnes ttsx.

Does this sound reasonable to you?? and if so, what should my next set of shots be seated at. Mainly asking the guys that shoot this regularly.... GreyFox included...

I think I should be able to get the Retumbo to shoot but willing to go buy some H4350 if needed..... Anyway, input appreciated..

MQ

I have heard of this. Never read it. Thanks for the info!!!!!

Now, does this hold true for the elite hunters and hybrids?
Only asking because I actually avoided the VLDs cuz I understood they were a pain to load and get to shoot. Maybe my bad info gathering I'm busy for the next couple weeks so I have no time to try this now but as soon as time permits, I will start down this path

Thank you very much.
Mario

Only asking because I actually avoided the VLDs cuz I understood they were a pain to load and get to shoot. Maybe my bad info gathering I'm busy for the next couple weeks so I have no time to try this now but as soon as time permits, I will start down this path

Thank you very much.
Mario

I have found Elite Hunters and Hybrids to be no different. Others claim otherwise. I have never found a bullet that did not respond to seating depth changes.

Thank you very much.
Mario

While I think the VLD's are more sensitive to SD, I have found that standard designs may be optimized as well.

I need some help guys

I have a Mcmillan 6.5x284 that I can not get to shoot.
I have tried HSM ammo. I have tried Norma ammo. Then I tried reloading with 140 grain Berger and Retumbo powder starting at 57.0 grains and I've been up to 59gr by .2 gr increments.
I have also tried seating them at about .020 off to .010 and no change. All about 1.5 Moa at 100 yards.

I bought some eld-x 143 gr and I am going to try them. But I just don't understand why a custom gun can't shoot at .5moa with stock ammo. My mcwhorters can all shoot really well with stock ammo.

/QUOTE]
FWIW, I shoot 600 yard benchrest with a trued Remington 700 and a Guillard barrel (from Canada), with a 4 oz. Jewell trigger, so don't expect this from a hunting gun. Having said that, the 142 Sierra MK seems to be the best performer, and we have had such results with H4350, at 48.6 grains, that we don't mess with it. Just this past Saturday it shot one target (5 rounds) into 1.408" at 600. Now that's a personal best, and it will frequently group under about 3.5". BR primers too.

I called Kelly mcmillian. He built 2 guns the same mine and another. He said the other wouldn't shoot. Told me to send it back. He is going to rebuild it!!!!

May take a few months but that's fine.
Good man
Good company standing behind their product

Thanks for all the responses. I'll keep you up to date on what happens.

Man, you can't ask for anything more from a gun builder. Probably not even his fault. Some barrels just won't shoot. Had a long conversation with John Krieger at the NRA meeting about that. They are trying to develop some kind of test regimen to identify characteristics of barrels that differentiate hummers from tomato stakes. They suspect its in the chemicals of the steel, but can't prove anything. Send McMillan a bottle of good single malt for stepping up to the plate.

I had the same problem with my 6.5 x 284 it would not shoot any ammo under 1.5 inches at 100.

Then I had the barrel re-crowned by another gunsmith, as the one that built it had moved from England to Australia

He borescoped the barrel and there was a shadow at the crown, so he re-crowned it, what a differance, the first 3 140 SMK's touching at 100yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.