6.5x284 help

greatwhitehntr

So I picked up a custom cz550 from a buddy. It has never been shot and was built by CZ for there hunting show CZ USA hunting America it just never got used.
It was chambered with old 6.5x284 win reamer so it had no room to run 140' s without shoving them way to far into the case. So I had it touched up with a Lapua reamer and throated a touch longer, with the thought of running 147 eld m for hunting. Broke gun in and it has been good, started to speed up around 80 rounds. Went from 2960 to 2990 par for the course. Deep cleaned it stripped all copper out of it bore scoped it to check and HBN coated the barrel and 200 of the 147 eld M's. So this is when stuff started to get a little off to me,
I was at 57.6 grains of retumbo before HBN and Lapua brass and fed 215 match primers. All good. While working up went to 56 and worked back up in .5 grain increments to 59.5 grains between 58.5 and 59.5 found a great node.
I am at 3099 average FPS, ES of 5, SD of 2.4 for 3 rounds. I tested it 3 times I couldn't believe it. Almost the same numbers every time. So a total 12 rounds in that node have been tested.
This seams stupid fast to me??? 59 grains is what I settled on in middle of the node. This is a lot of powder for a 6.5x284. I have checked the brass over and over and it is still with in spec primers are still stupid tight. Checked at the head and web and it has only grown .001" that is what every other load has come out at and it is only a thousandth over factory lapua brass.
So here are the specs
26.5" hammer forged barrel 1:8.6 twist
59 grains of retumbo
Fed215 match primer
Lapua Case's prepped per my usual and weight sorted by internal volume x3 firings. 12 @ 4 firings
With 147 ElDm BTO is 2.245" that is .045" off lands to my specs
Do you think it is over pressure?
Any thoughts?
Any one withe quick load could you run this for me. My computer is at the doctor.
Is it just me or does this seam to be stupid fast and not seeing any pressure has my little tyrannosaurus Rex pee brain boggled.

Thanks for thoughts and help

While you are definitely near maximum case capacity with Retumbo, and may be compressing your load, I have had 6.5x284's that ran at similar velocity and ES as the one you describe. Barrel, chamber, seating depth, and powder lot can all be factors. I currently run 57-58grs of Retumbo out of my rifles at velocities that range from 2980-3070FPS. My preferred load using 140 class bullets is something 2975-3000FPS. I think barrel and case life is better, I get a bit of margin, use 100% of the case without compression, and can see little to no difference in ballistics or terminal performance on game out to 1000 yards or so.

I have a 6.5x284 and I run 58gr of Retumbo. My 200 yd groups are .05 MOA or less at 2980 fps at 1100ft MSL. It is my main hunting rifle. I'm also using 142gr VLD Berger's

While you are definitely near maximum case capacity with Retumbo, and may be compressing your load, I have had 6.5x284's that ran at similar velocity and ES as the one you describe. Barrel, chamber, seating depth, and powder lot can all be factors. I currently run 57-58grs of Retumbo out of my rifles at velocities that range from 2980-3070FPS. My preferred load using 140 class bullets is something 2975-3000FPS. I think barrel and case life is better, I get a bit of margin, use 100% of the case without compression, and can see little to no difference in ballistics or terminal performance on game out to 1000 yards or so.
I run 58.2 grains Retumbo with 143 ELDX 3075 -3100 FPS

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.