6.5mm Super in the works.

stonehands1

Just thought I'd share my new build. We'll a little bit anyway. I'm a big speed freak to say the least. My current .308 pushes 150 grainers at 3775 out of a 26" tube. I love how flat shooting it is and it does the job on animals.
I'm totally into the 6.5mm but can't find one that will push the 142 grainer at 3700+ so I've decided to build one. Can't take all the credit cause I'm getting some help from the pros but am super excited about the potential of this build. Yep it will burn the shat out of barrels but I really don't care. Still working out all the details but here are
Some of the basics:
Sako m995 action.
Benchmark 30" tube
McMillan A5 stock

Just thought I'd share my new build. We'll a little bit anyway. I'm a big speed freak to say the least. My current .308 pushes 150 grainers at 3775 out of a 26" tube. I love how flat shooting it is and it does the job on animals.
I'm totally into the 6.5mm but can't find one that will push the 142 grainer at 3700+ so I've decided to build one. Can't take all the credit cause I'm getting some help from the pros but am super excited about the potential of this build. Yep it will burn the shat out of barrels but I really don't care. Still working out all the details but here are
Some of the basics:
Sako m995 action.
Benchmark 30" tube
McMillan A5 stock

You mean 2,775, right? You're about 1,000 fps faster than the normal speed...

You're not going to find many calibers that will push a bullet over 3,500 fps... I think you might be a bit misguided on your numbers.

I most definitely mean 3700. My current .308 will actually shoot 130's at close to 4000. But that's obviously not some super accurate long range combo. Not that it's horribly inaccurate, just not sub moa. But if you want to see some coyote carnage at 100 yds then the 130's are the ticket.
100 grains of 7828 gets the 150's moving. I'm still working on a 180 grain combo and have seen a best of 3625 using 107 grains of r25 but it's hard on cases. 114 grains of H50bmg is easier on cases but a fps is down a little. Like I said still working on that recipe.
Basically I'm going to neck down my current .308 case to .264 and shoot 142's unless someone makes something a bit bigger. Would like to shoot 150ish size pill in 6.5mm but not sure if that is even an option.

I most definitely mean 3700. My current .308 will actually shoot 130's at close to 4000. But that's obviously not some super accurate long range combo. Not that it's horribly inaccurate, just not sub moa. But if you want to see some coyote carnage at 100 yds then the 130's are the ticket.
100 grains of 7828 gets the 150's moving. I'm still working on a 180 grain combo and have seen a best of 3625 using 107 grains of r25 but it's hard on cases. 114 grains of H50bmg is easier on cases but a fps is down a little. Like I said still working on that recipe.
Basically I'm going to neck down my current .308 case to .264 and shoot 142's unless someone makes something a bit bigger. Would like to shoot 150ish size pill in 6.5mm but not sure if that is even an option.

What .308 are you talking about? .308 Winchester?

I'm taking a guess and saying he has either a Warbird or a 30-378. Based on that sako action.

To the Op: you should do a search for Swamplord. He has designed cartridges that accomplish what you're after. He's even using the same action. Very cool stuff.

I'm taking a guess and saying he has either a Warbird or a 30-378. Based on that sako action.

To the Op: you should do a search for Swamplord. He has designed cartridges that accomplish what you're after. He's even using the same action. Very cool stuff.

Thanks Boman. I'll check out swamplords build.

Not to hijack the thread but is it possible to get 3000fps+ out of a 6.5x284 norma with a 26 inch barrel shooting the 140grn or 142grn bullets? Or should I be looking something more like a 264 win mag.

You need to read Swamplords post. He has created the 6.5 Pro that pushes the 140gr bullet to 3700fps. He has set up for it to go into production. The 264 WM is good with the right powder combo. I have pushed a Woodleigh 160gr PPSN to 3261fps which is out of a Remington 721 with a 30" Shilen barrel with 6 grove 1 in 8 twist.

Prometheus.... the Bringer of Fire..... is reborn !

Bullet Weight:
140 gr

Muzzle Velocity:
3700 fps

Muzzle Energy:
4257 ft-lbs

AmmoGuide is now... "Interactive"!

The original case dimensions were created in May 2011 for the "7.62 PRO" then re-designed and necked down to 6.5mm in February, 2012 by Pro Martusheff specifically for the Sako TRGS M995 action. The idea evolved in the spring of 2011 and became reality when KRG Welcome to KRG made a stock for the SAKO M995 that uses AICS "CIP" length 5-10 round magazines, The parent 338 Norma Magnum was perfectly suited for this action and and AICS mags.

Given the amount of powder it burns for the 6.5mm bullets, the wildcat was originally named "6.5 Prometheus" to pay homage to the Greek Titan Prometheus (the bringer of fire) who stole fire from Zeus and gave it to man. The short name for it is 6.5 PRO (Precision Rifled Ordnance). Basically it's a 6.5mm cannon that brings fire. The shoulder was changed to 35° and neck length to .342", the base of the case was retained at .589", the shoulder pushed forward to 1.9549" , I wanted a bit more taper in the case for extraction when shooting high pressure max loads and the width at the top of the body is .570" giving the case a .019" taper
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger

Some of the basics:
Sako m995 action.
Benchmark 30" tube
McMillan A5 stock
How are you getting 3775 out of a 308 and holding good accuracy ?

How are you getting 3775 out of a 308 and holding good accuracy ?
Burning lots of powder and wrecking brass! 😆
Oh man have I learned much in the past 6 years.
Thanks for bringing this thread back to life. It was a good reminder of the early days.
More specifically to answer your question... It was a Warbird that had a 1/12 twist barrel on it (if I remember correctly). I was shooting coated 150 grain barnes solids. It would shoot 3/4 moa at 3750+.
I tried to shoot heavier bullets but it didnt like it as much. Eventually I grew up and got over the whole speed kills thing and rebarreled it to a 300 Norma Improved. These days I run 230 berger at 3200 in a 28 inch. Much better at longer range.