6.5creedmoor vs 7mm08 for whitetails under 350 yards

I agree that a .243 is marginal for deer hunting. The 6.5 is exactly halfway between a .243 and a 7mm with regard to the bullet's frontal area, which is very important in converting bullet energy into tissue damage. For terminal ballistics the 7mm-08 is superior. But the 6.5 is still satisfactory for deer and has tons of good factory ammo available.

The cool thing is you can't go wrong here. After spending lots of time deciding which is the best you'll pick one and it will work great... because both will. It doesn't really matter.

As the venerable Cold Trigger Finger says - It works. I made the longest shot on a deer I've ever made - I like to put the sneak on them - last year, at 420 yards with my Cold Trigger Finger clone Ruger with an 18" barrel.

I started the "6.5" thing 15 years ago with a Swede and have used that, an Encore in .260 and a couple of Creedmoors ever since. Every deer dies. "Put the pointy thing point forward in the chamber and shoot 'em in the front half . . ." They tip over.

PRS shooters use truckloads of 6.5 Creedmoors. I shot at a match in eastern Nebraska last Saturday and the farthest target getting a whacking was over 1300 yards from the shooters. The nearest was just over 200 yards. That cartridge is popular with everyone from top shooters - not all - to beginners - most.

The only reason I wasn't using my 6.5 Creedmoor on Saturday was because some guy took the 6.5 barrel offa my Stiller and screwed in a "6mm Confusion" barrel. I had to neck down my 6.5 brass to fit it, but I finally got them to slip into the chamber . . .

You ask me to go kill a rabid skunk, deer for the table, an elk tiptoeing through the rose hips, a moose on solid ground, a coyote slinkin' after a rabbit in a corn field . . . I'll grab my Cold Trigger Finger clone, 18 " Ruger and use it for what it was designed for.

(Hello, Alaska!)

Looking to shoot 120-140 grain bullets so I think 1:8 twist in the 6.5cm is what I'd get. 1:9 in the 7mm08 for similar bullet weights.

Yup, that should work. Just watch out that the rifle you want really has that twist. Seen lots of guys buy a rifle and then find out later that the twist is wrong.

By the way, my 6.5 really likes 120gr bullets. And what she likes, I like!

I have both a 6.5 CM and 7mm-08. They're both stainless Tikka's. I've had the 7mm-08 several years now and have taken many mule deer and one elk (all up to and under 350 yards). I use 140 grain bullets. The 7mm-08 Tikka has been a great accurate rifle and none of the deer and one elk went more than 40 yards after only one shot.

I picked up the 6.5 CM back in the spring. It is no joke...this round is inherently accurate!!! The rifle was sighted in with just the first three shots through the barrel. The next five shots were a clover leaf. This was done using Hornady's 143 ELDx ammo. I used the rifle for my Montana mule deer hunt this fall. A nice 3-pt buck presented himself at 100 yards. One and done! The 143 ELDx dropped the buck in its tracks.

You can put a few more grains of powder in the 7mm-08 as compared to the 6.5 CM, so yes, I can tell there is less recoil in the 6.5 CM. It really is a pleasure to shoot and very accurate. I've only taken one deer with it thus far, but its one and done performance was impressive. I always take two rifles with me on my hunts in case one goes down. It's good to have a back-up and the 6.5 CM easily gets the job done!

There is no such thing as inherent accuracy... Accuracy has to do with the gun, not the cartridge or caliber that it's chambered for. Some cartridge designs are less picky, but that does not make them "inherently accurate".

6.5CM vs 7-08
I'm impressed with the 6.5 Credmoor as have others. It's accurate and with a great trigger and scope like any rifle it'll do it's part. Many of my varmint and deer hunting friends are buying them. That said it still requires marksmanship abilities. Correct shooting skills and practice. The recently closed deer season found many of those individuals with empty freezers because they failed applying the basics.
I've been shooting the 7-08 for 35 years. With 120gr TTSX deer and pigs are in a serious hurt locker. Elk I've shot have been at 300, 450, 470, 530 and 540 yards. All taken with the Barnes 140gr TTSX.
This past Sunday 11/25/2018 I shot a 2x2 Buck at 513 yards with the 120gr TTSX. It's in my freezer now. That deer didn't know if it was a 300WM, 7-08. 6.5CM or a 6.5-284 (Which my son was shooting and missing with).

Reloading for either cartridge is the only way to become proficient in long range shooting.
Buy the rifle you want. I.m 72 and will be buying a CZ527 6.5 Grendel for my grandkids. It's an incredible rifle in 22 Hornet and will be perfect in the Grendel. I have an AR in 6.5 Grendel that I use out in the desert for coyotes.
But here in California every Cop and his mother wants to shake me down.
Gonzo
SEMER FIDELIS

There has been a huge surge in 6.5creedmoor lately and I think I want to jump in on that train. I do already own a 7mm08 for my wife and she loves the rifle... many people on here would say "since you already have reloading dies for that why not stick with it"...well I am a tinkerer so a new caliber is always welcome in our stable. My concerns are two fold though...is the 6.5creedmoor here to stay or will it become difficult to find ammo over the counter and brass for reloading? Is the 6.5cm truly a good whitetail caliber OR is it more towards the unsuitable side similar to a 243 (I am a believe in dead is dead so why not have the horse power if you do not mind the recoil). yes I know plenty of 243s have killed a ton of deer but I still think it is a marginal caliber for strictly deer.
I've piled up over 30 deer and hundreds of hogs over the last five years shooting the .260 Remington which is basically the 6.5 CM's ballistic twin.

In the right hands, with the right bullet and shot placement Even 600-750yds is more than doable on deer sized game.

Wildrose,
I agree totally.
6.5 Swede, 260 and Creedmoor are basically the same animal.
I shot a Swede in shilouette matches and at 500 yards sometimes the ram would spin on the rail, rather than fall off. The 7-08 with 160 Matchkings solved that issue.

I've killed a bunch of caribou with my 18.6" barrel , 6.5 Creedmoor.
Out to just under 400 yards.
Shooting mostly 130 gr TSX and 130 gr Sirocco2 @ 2775.
1 shot each. Bang flop.
The heaviest was 300+ lb @ 300 y.
130 gr TSX . straight on . bullet went in beside the wind pipe and exited next the nut sack. Around 46" of straight penetration . Bull turned about 140° and fell over dead.
I might not have had the confidence to make that shot with the Grendel. But that is probably just me.
Having watched lots of guy with bigger rifles consistently average 2 shots per bou at closer ranges. Including 300 RUMs and several 06s.
I can guarentee the 6.5 kills that size game every bit as well as anything bigger.
That has everything to do with bullet choice and shot placement and has nothing to do with bigger, more powerful calibers being inferior.

I love my 6.5's but the math is pretty simple. Bigger and faster equals more energy down range and it is energy that kills.

There is no such thing as inherent accuracy... Accuracy has to do with the gun, not the cartridge or caliber that it's chambered for. Some cartridge designs are less picky, but that does not make them "inherently accurate".
That's a throwaway line someone put in gun article probably 20 years back that caught fire and has been repeated ad nauseam since.

Bullets can be inherently accurate or inaccurate.

Rifles can be inherently accurate or inaccurate.

Scopes can be inherently accurate or inaccurate.

All depends on how well they are designed and put together.

There's nothing supporting the idea of any cartridge being "inherently more accurate" than any other at least in terms of modern cartridges.

You can have a one holer in any caliber if you have the right load and the right rig to shoot it.

6.5CM vs 7-08
I'm impressed with the 6.5 Credmoor as have others. It's accurate and with a great trigger and scope like any rifle it'll do it's part. Many of my varmint and deer hunting friends are buying them. That said it still requires marksmanship abilities. Correct shooting skills and practice. The recently closed deer season found many of those individuals with empty freezers because they failed applying the basics.
I've been shooting the 7-08 for 35 years. With 120gr TTSX deer and pigs are in a serious hurt locker. Elk I've shot have been at 300, 450, 470, 530 and 540 yards. All taken with the Barnes 140gr TTSX.
This past Sunday 11/25/2018 I shot a 2x2 Buck at 513 yards with the 120gr TTSX. It's in my freezer now. That deer didn't know if it was a 300WM, 7-08. 6.5CM or a 6.5-284 (Which my son was shooting and missing with).

Reloading for either cartridge is the only way to become proficient in long range shooting.
Buy the rifle you want. I.m 72 and will be buying a CZ527 6.5 Grendel for my grandkids. It's an incredible rifle in 22 Hornet and will be perfect in the Grendel. I have an AR in 6.5 Grendel that I use out in the desert for coyotes.
But here in California every Cop and his mother wants to shake me down.
Gonzo
SEMER FIDELIS
Like you, I built an AR in 6.5 Grendel years back, and really fell for the cartridge. It really does give you the most performance out of the AR15 platform. I have been a fan of it since it was released back in 2003, but never got around to building one until around 2015. But always felt it would have been an awesome little deer and varmint round in a bolt-action platform.

I've heard that the newer CZ rifles aren't quite holding up their reputation for quality, because they're focusing more on semi-auto pistols now. I hope that's not true. They've always been known for building high-quality weapons.

Another good option that would save you some cash, would be to go with the new Ruger American bolt-action in 6.5 Grendel. They have one that takes AR mags. It's got a 22" threaded barrel, and from what I've heard, they're quite accurate. I've been wanting to get one since they first announced them back at SHOT show in January.

https://ruger.com/products/americanRiflePredator/specSheets/26922.html

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.