6.5creedmoor vs 7mm08 for whitetails under 350 yards

Edit... I didn't see until a few posts in that this is for your wife, and that she's recoil shy... If that's the case the new Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Grendel would be an excellent option. SUPER low recoil, but is still pushing 120-123gr bullets around 2,600 FPS MV. Perfect for deer hunting inside of 350 yards.

Daughter wants a new (smaller and lighter) rifle....

Have both 7mm-08 and 6.5 Creedmoor. As far as recoil is concerned, it is almost unnoticeable between the two. For inside 350 yards the 130 grain sledgehammers are great in the Creedmoor, I took a warthog and a blesbok with mine this past spring in SA, both pretty much dropped at the shot.

I've killed a bunch of caribou with my 18.6" barrel , 6.5 Creedmoor.
Out to just under 400 yards.
Shooting mostly 130 gr TSX and 130 gr Sirocco2 @ 2775.
1 shot each. Bang flop.
The heaviest was 300+ lb @ 300 y.
130 gr TSX . straight on . bullet went in beside the wind pipe and exited next the nut sack. Around 46" of straight penetration . Bull turned about 140° and fell over dead.
I might not have had the confidence to make that shot with the Grendel. But that is probably just me.
Having watched lots of guy with bigger rifles consistently average 2 shots per bou at closer ranges. Including 300 RUMs and several 06s.
I can guarentee the 6.5 kills that size game every bit as well as anything bigger.

It's all about putting the bullet where its supposed to go.
Not in any way saying something stupid like the 6.5 is a more powerful killer than bigger carts.
But, for something that kills as well as the 6.5s do. They ( mid vel 6.5s) are very easy to shoot well.
The difference between the 2 ( 6.5 Cm vs 7/08) is like the difference between the 06 and 280 Rem.
Not enough to matter.
Other than personal preference.
As to light recoil. The 110-123 gr bullets in the 6.5 are very mild in recoil.
The Grendel is even milder yet. And even easier to shoot very well.

I don't think there is a deer out there that will ever know the difference between a 6.5 CM and a 7-08. They are both more or less equally lethal at more or less the same ranges. I don't see any point splitting hairs over it. You will see a much bigger difference just be changing bullets than you will by changing cartridges. Same goes for recoil.

HOWEVER, there is one difference that you need to be aware of before you buy. The two normally come with quite different twist rates. A slow twist will limit your maximum bullet weight.

As another poster said, choose your bullet first, and then choose a rifle with a barrel that works with that bullet.

Then enjoy shooting whichever rifle your wife thinks is second best...... LMAO.

Better yet, get her a Cooper. Happy wife, happy life!

I don't think there is a deer out there that will ever know the difference between a 6.5 CM and a 7-08. They are both more or less equally lethal at more or less the same ranges. I don't see any point splitting hairs over it. You will see a much bigger difference just be changing bullets than you will by changing cartridges. Same goes for recoil.

HOWEVER, there is one difference that you need to be aware of before you buy. The two normally come with quite different twist rates. A slow twist will limit your maximum bullet weight.

As another poster said, choose your bullet first, and then choose a rifle with a barrel that works with that bullet.

Then enjoy shooting whichever rifle your wife thinks is second best...... LMAO.

Better yet, get her a Cooper. Happy wife, happy life!
Looking to shoot 120-140 grain bullets so I think 1:8 twist in the 6.5cm is what I'd get. 1:9 in the 7mm08 for similar bullet weights.

There has been a huge surge in 6.5creedmoor lately and I think I want to jump in on that train. I do already own a 7mm08 for my wife and she loves the rifle... many people on here would say "since you already have reloading dies for that why not stick with it"...well I am a tinkerer so a new caliber is always welcome in our stable. My concerns are two fold though...is the 6.5creedmoor here to stay or will it become difficult to find ammo over the counter and brass for reloading? Is the 6.5cm truly a good whitetail caliber OR is it more towards the unsuitable side similar to a 243 (I am a believe in dead is dead so why not have the horse power if you do not mind the recoil). yes I know plenty of 243s have killed a ton of deer but I still think it is a marginal caliber for strictly deer.
To assuage your concerns, yes the 6.5 Creedmoor is pretty much here to stay. Ammunition is plentiful and diverse, it passes the "Walmart test" and is turning up in General stores. The fact that the US military has selected it for the new intermediate cartridge has all but sealed its permanence and milsurp brass will start trickling into the system. As for being more than a "deer gun" Ryan Cleckner (NSSF spokesman, Army Ranger and Special Operations sniper) recently took one to Africa and harvested several game animals there. Anecdotally, the 6.5x55 Sweede has been enough to take reindeer and moose for about 100 years. The Creed is, for all intents and purposes, a updated Sweede that's been pseudo-Ackley'ed.

Go ahead and get one.

I have three 7mm-08's and just picked up a 6.5CM. I believe the 6.5 has less recoil (not that 7-08 is bad). Haven't shot a deer with it yet, but I have no doubts it will do just fine. I have a 7mm-08 Remington 700 Varmint Special that is the best shooting gun in my safe. The other two 7-08's are my kids deer hunting rifles since they were 8 years old (14 and 12 now). I have told some folks lately that if I were buying a kid a rifle today, 6.5CM would be my choice because of the light recoiling and very accurate factory loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.