6.5 x 300 wea

Frank in the Laurels

I was browsing my flyer from Grice gun shoppe, noticed they were taking deposits on this beast...$1800.00 and you can get a range certified version for a couple of hundred more, delivered in Feb/Mar. Question I have is that seems to me to be lots of powder to be burnt in a .264 bore, I realize they are long throated but even with the slowest know powder the throat has to take a beating and would show spider cracks very quickly or does wea. have a secret up their sleeve with a special powder. Their claiming 3531 fps, for every action there's an equal and opposite reaction, the barrel can't last long driving a bullet that fast...WHAT do you think ??

Also saw it in the ad (heading there this Sunday again) the 6.5 x 300 would be a great hunting cartridge, but people flip out about the 264 win mag calling it a barrel burner and overbore, this takes that to a new level, but 3550 with a 140 amax... That's fast

Barrel erosion is a problem with any over bore cartridge and can shorten the accurate life if not
taken care of properly. Shots In rapid succession Is the main culprit because of heat build up
in the throat and bore.

A hunting rifle that is not shot very much and that is taken care of during range sessions will normally last a life time.

There is also no reason that one cant back off the velocity and powder charge to improve barrel life,
the problem with this is when you buy a hot rod, you want speed. so which ever way you chose, Take care of the barrel and it will take care of you.

J E CUSTOM

I'm temped to build one on my lh bdl mag action.... Currently my brother is beating his chest talking about how fast his 26 nos rifles are... I need to hobble him a bit and both the 6.5mm stw and 6.5mm rum are very likely to stay wildcats forever.

You will be very lucky to see 1,000 round accuracy life. I suspect average bore life for a pushed rifle will be 600 rounds. I'd go ss, and melonite the bore I guess...

I'm guessing 6-800 round barrel life.... but these are not rifles to rag on while at the bench... short of being in the field. They are the equivalent of 1/4 mi strip cars. Run them WIDE OPEN and let them rock.
MY M48 Patriot and the Western Hunter in 26 Nosler run just fine how they are.... I'll torch the Browning just because its the red-headed stepchild of my gun safe...lol
Nevermind the fact that the Nosler rifle cost me about three times as much.
I'd LOVE to have a 6.5x300 roy... but it's duplicating something I already have duplicated.... and it's complete with the **** belt.... :rolleyes:

I have more interesting things going down this month... my overhauled 280 Rem is coming back from the smith in SD...

and it's complete with the **** belt.... :rolleyes:

I have more interesting things going down this month... my overhauled 280 Rem is coming back from the smith in SD...

I like a belt; it keeps the pants up.... No one can see my skid marks or vertical smile then... As to a cartridge with a belt; it is a moot point for the most part but I'd rather fire-form brass for a cartridge that is belted as it creates another head-spacing point...

As to your 280ai.... the jury is still out on that chambering imo... I'd rather have a 7stw or 7rum myself but the 280ai you already have is doing well.

Well... when the new AI comes back, we'll see what she'll do....
Keep in mind I have a 28 in Brux barrel in 28 Nosler being built as well...

Well... when the new AI comes back, we'll see what she'll do....
Keep in mind I have a 28 in Brux barrel in 28 Nosler being built as well...

Keep in mind brother that I have a tired out 300rum begging for a new pipe.... I might just do a switch barrel rig and have the 'smiths I know locally and in Bowman each do up a barrel or two for me... A nice bonus or three should pay for most of this ballgame... I like the 6.5x300 and am likely to do one, but another barrel will likely be a 338 edge... I might do a 375 or 41 cal of some sort to...

I have been wanting a 264win mag accumark with a 28 or 30 inch barrel .If you used 160 gr long range bullets instead of 140 grain the barrel might last longer .I have three 338-378 Weatherby mag accumarks they are awesome guns.I Have shot under an inch at 300 yards awesome!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts