6.5 WSM vs 6.5 SAUM what is the difference?

Terry Scott

Just don't know the SAUM well so I was curious to what the difference in case capacity.
I am also looking for reloading help with the 140 berger, and the 160 matrix.
Will the matrix fit into this short case?

For all intents and purposes not that much...the difference would be a 100 fps maybe in favor of the wsm... The SAUM would have a longer neck, brass for either can be had now but who knows what will happen 5 years down the road. You might be better off to go to a 6.5/06..at least brass can be found.

Look at the difference in the parent cases for each. (I think they are based on the 7mm or the WSM could be a 270 WDM case necked down.

You have to know what the parent case was to get the approximate case capacity plus any changes to this case. (Shoulder angle. body taper, neck length.

Normally the WSMs have slightly more case capacity that the SAUMs (Only a few grains).

J E CUSTOM

Just my experience. I have built the 6.5wsm and a 6.5saum. I liked the saum. I built it last year. I built the rifle using George Gardner's GAP 4s reamer. He figured the round out. Great velocity with Awsome barrel life. I was shooting the Berger hunting 140 vld bullets at 3100 fps out of a 24" Bartlien 1-8 twist barrel. This load was low in pressure. Was shooting 60 of H1000 and a Fed 210m.

Go with the GAP 4s

GAP is now having brass made for them through Hornady

GAP also sells die sets

Brian

Just don't know the SAUM well so I was curious to what the difference in case capacity.
I am also looking for reloading help with the 140 berger, and the 160 matrix.
Will the matrix fit into this short case?

Between the two, I would pick the saum because it is a better case design and easier on barrels for the small gain you would get with the wsm. Unless you build them on a long action or single load, bullets like the 160 Matrix, or even the 140 berger, have to be shoved into the case a ways which sacrifices performance. This is exactly why I designed the SS case. It sacrifices nothing in performance, and in fact is a gain over the saum. It has a better neck and better barrel life than either......Rich

I would also go with the SAUM in the 6.5.
I have loaded for the 270, 7, and 300 WSM. The 6.5 SAUM is pretty alluring. Easy to load for.

I have loaded the 160 Matrix in the 6.5 SAUM and gotten ~3000 fps with Retumbo at 61.0 gr. I would work up to this, but didn't see any pressure signs in my GAP rifle, 26" Bartlein, Tula LRM primers.

I load 61.0 gr H1000 with the 140 Berger Hybrids and get 3100 fps, I also shoot the 130 VLD and 130 AR Hybrid and get 3250 fps.

That SAUM cartridge case design doesn't get the respect it deserves !! You very seldom ever see one show up at any type of match but those that do always hold their own and usually impress everyone with their accuracy. I have model 7 stainless in .300 SAUM that will shoot 3/4 inch groups all day long, bone stock off the shelf... Sad part "big green" didn't promote their own design, I don't think they even offer it today but handle wsm's...never quite got that!!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.