6.5 saum vs. 6.5 wsm

• Thread starter Deleted member 25294
  • Start date
Wow I see my old post got resurrected..
I ended up going with the 6.5 Saum on a tikka action, and I could not be happier.
One major reason for wanting to go with the Saum over the wsm was recoil, and the 6.5 is much lighter on recoil with the 147's @3050fps than the 270wsm was with 150's.
For brass I'm running norma 7mm Saum cases through a hornady 6.5 gap die, neck turning and shooting. Very simple to form, I've loaded some test cases 8 times and the primer pockets are still tight.
I love the 6.5 Saum, I killed two bull elk with it this year, it's my go to rifle now for all occasions, and it's really light.
blackaj
Looks like this thread won't die. I am in a similar situation you were in deciding between the SAUM and WSM, having several hundred WSM brass on hand. If you don't mind, what tipped the scales toward the SAUM? I am having a hard time determining any real advantage of one over the other. There are reports of extended barrel life with the SAUM but only see empiracle evidence attributed to the slightly lower powder volume/velocity. Reports of accuracy seem to be equally available depending on who you ask. Having the proper head stamp is a valid benefit of the GAP. There is also some benefit with the shorter SAUM case in a short action but I, like you, will be using a long action. I am clambering it for the new 150 SMK and 155 Berger with a 1:7.5 twist. I have no preference and am just wondering if you have any insight you would like to share

Now that the Sherman Shortmag will have head stamped brass, it may well be the best choice depending on your needs. It will easily outperform the Saum and is right there with the wsm? It will have better barrel and brass life, and best of all, it has a coal under the magic 3"......rich
Yes, I do have a horse in the race but check with the people who have built them.

I was looking for a cartridge for a 40X with a Magnum bolt face I picked 6.5 Remington Magnum after securing 1000 cases. Replacing the barrel in a year of so will again depend on what brass is available at the time. But more than likely will remain 6.5 something.

blackaj
Looks like this thread won't die. I am in a similar situation you were in deciding between the SAUM and WSM, having several hundred WSM brass on hand. If you don't mind, what tipped the scales toward the SAUM? I am having a hard time determining any real advantage of one over the other. There are reports of extended barrel life with the SAUM but only see empiracle evidence attributed to the slightly lower powder volume/velocity. Reports of accuracy seem to be equally available depending on who you ask. Having the proper head stamp is a valid benefit of the GAP. There is also some benefit with the shorter SAUM case in a short action but I, like you, will be using a long action. I am clambering it for the new 150 SMK and 155 Berger with a 1:7.5 twist. I have no preference and am just wondering if you have any insight you would like to share
Yeah I think you can't go wrong with either choice, I ended up going with the 6.5 saum over the 270 wsm for recoil and barrel life.
My main objective was to stay really light without high recoil, I had a tikka 270 wsm and it had noticeably more recoil than my 6.5 Saum.
I guess it comes down to your objectives, are you looking for max down range energy or reduced recoil.
That is really the only difference between these two rounds.

Wait you're looking at the 6.5 wsm not the 270.
In that case definitely the barrel life was my deciding factor.
I only have 100 rounds through my saum so I can't confirm the claimed barrel life, but from everything I've read you'll be lucky to get 600 rounds out of a 6.5 wsm barrel.

Jerry M
Point well taken. What brass is available? Most of these 6.5 short magnums are close enough that one will not significantly outperform the others and will accurately push a 140gr bullet >/=3000 fps
Yeah I think you can't go wrong with either choice, I ended up going with the 6.5 saum over the 270 wsm for recoil and barrel life.
My main objective was to stay really light without high recoil, I had a tikka 270 wsm and it had noticeably more recoil than my 6.5 Saum.
I guess it comes down to your objectives, are you looking for max down range energy or reduced recoil.
That is really the only difference between these two rounds.
Chasing after that elusive round allowing one to track impact, deliver optimal performance on large game, and still be able to pack it, is an never ending game of compromises. When hunting with no spotter it is challenging and maybe a little irresponsible to take a longrange shot when recoil prevents a hunter from reliably holding the target and marking the impact point. The creed will fit that bill but looking for a little more down-range energy potential. Sounds like the 6.5 Saum is at least moving in the right direction for you vs 270. Regardless of the short mag used, guess I can always dial it down a bit. Just seems wrong :)

I have a 6.5 wsm that has around 400 rounds down it. Ill report back on barrel life if i shoot it out this year. I have a really hard time believing that a 6.5 Saum would have a +2000 round barrel life compared to a 600 round barrel life of a 6.5 WSM.

I have a 6.5 wsm that has around 400 rounds down it. Ill report back on barrel life if i shoot it out this year. I have a really hard time believing that a 6.5 Saum would have a +2000 round barrel life compared to a 600 round barrel life of a 6.5 WSM.
Agreed. You might want a 1:7 twist by then anyway. Would be interested to hear from anyone who actually had a great shooting 6.5 wsm who experienced short barrel life. Seems to be mostly positive reports from those shooting the wsm as well as the saum

I question short barrel life by not chasing the lands and having a barre "burn" out in 500 rounds. I have had throat wear from trying to push it to hard in the beginning. The load I am running now I could neck size and has over 8 loads on same brass. 147 at 3080. Es is 11 FPS and accuracy is .3. Great accuracy node. Can't see wanting any more. This is with a 24" barrel. Perfect 7-800 yard hunting rifle.

Now that the Sherman Shortmag will have head stamped brass, it may well be the best choice depending on your needs. It will easily outperform the Saum and is right there with the wsm? It will have better barrel and brass life, and best of all, it has a coal under the magic 3"......rich
Yes, I do have a horse in the race but check with the people who have built them.
Rich. If I were to consider this option where can brass be purchased/price and why does the design outperform the saum and have better barrel/brass life while outperforming it? How will it perform on the 155 Berger's and 150 smk's? Do you have a reamer available? Is the brass ready to load or does it have to be fireformed? I'm all about making the best choice if it is. -Ty

The ss has a shorter burn column than the Saum because the shoulder is back considerably. There is no capacity lost because of less body taper and the 40 degree shoulder. The design of the case allows for the bullet to be seated (out of the case body) to the base of the neck
which gives more USEABLE capacity than the Saum. This more compact design keeps the coal much shorter so it will function in a short action. i.e. shorter burn column means more efficiency coupled with more useable capacity equaling more velocity at equal pressure! In addition, the low body taper and 40 degree shoulder create more radial pressure and less bolt thrust which allows the cartridge to operate at higher pressure than normal Saum brass. The velocities between the two have been proven by Smith's building both cartridges while using the same brass. The ss also has less case stretching because of lower body taper and sharper shoulder angle equaling less trimming and better brass life. The sharper shoulder coupled with a longer neck than the Saum means the hottest flame point of the burned gases Is better contained inside the neck rather than directly into the throat. This is why a 6.5/284 gets less barrel life by far and yet falls at least 200' short in velocity. The ONLY downside to the ss WAS brass but I currently have prepped brass ready to load (form) and head stamped brass of Lapua quality will be available this summer! You can get CLOSE to ss velocity if you throat a Saum and single feed or go with a much longer mag,; but why? The Saum is a good cartridge; make no mistake, but the ss is better! As a matter of fact, if you just want to equal the Saum and do it with a 2.770 coal with a 147 eldm, just build the sst which will also have brass. I run the 147 in mine for hunting at 3107'....rich

Oh ya. Reamers and dies are in stock and no one has shot the Heavy Berger's and Sierra's yet but I see no drop off in performance there. We have shot the 160 Matrix at 3100'.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts