30 Sherman Mag vs 300 PRC what is the difference?

Kmccord

Next year I plan to do several builds and I have always wanted a 30 Caliber, but wanted something other than a 300 Win Mag. I had thought about a 30 Nosler and 300 NMI, but decided against it. I was thinking of building a 6.5 PRC on a L/A with an HS Precision Hunter DBM and thought why not a 300 PRC barrel as well. I was pretty much sold on it, then saw a 30 Sherman Mag that uses 300 PRC cartridge to form the Sherman Mag. What are you gaining going to the Sherman Mag from the PRC? Better velocity and easier to tune? I want to hear of people's experience between the two and if one has a definite advantage over the other?
Thanks.

Better velocity
Both are great. you get added performance with the Sherman, and can shoot factory ammo in it in a pinch or to fire form. It depends on how much it is worth to you. Factory ammo is still hard to find, and is averaging $60 a box. Still have to buy dies for both.
I love to tinker, so it's worth it to me.
Tuning is up to the tuner
Mine shoots factory ammo just about 1 MOA at 100, but not as good out to 500.
Reloaded with 245's holds 1 MOA to 1360 so far

the best thing about the Sherman is you can run the PRC upper end accuracy loads at lower pressure combined with the 40" shoulder will give you better brass life or if your a speed freak you can go well past the PRC velocity wise.

only downside is the initial start cost will be higher with the Sherman

Yeah, I looked at the Sherman dies and noticed the price, but hell anymore everything is up in price, if the performance is there and better than the PRC that part would not bother me. I am mainly looking for performance and accuracy. If the tuning is easier than my 28 Nosler, it is not hard but takes a while at times to get it down to where I want it.

the best thing about the Sherman is you can run the PRC upper end accuracy loads at lower pressure combined with the 40" shoulder will give you better brass life or if your a speed freak you can go well past the PRC velocity wise.

only downside is the initial start cost will be higher with the Sherman
And that. I got 5 to 6 firings on hornady brass pushing them hard. but switched to the ADJ brass, And now I'm shooting a comfortable 2950 fps with 245's. hoping to get double or triple the life with ADG. For a hunting and occasional range gun, I shouldn't have to buy brass again

And that. I got 5 to 6 firings on hornady brass pushing them hard. but switched to the ADJ brass, And now I'm shooting a comfortable 2950 fps with 245's. hoping to get double or triple the life with ADG. For a hunting and occasional range gun, I shouldn't have to buy brass again
that is the best thing about improved cartridges, better brass life for same performance, maybe even better barrel life. its a win for the brass your barrel and your pocketbook and we all know how the better half feel about the pocketbook

the dies are expensive compaired to the PRC but not bad if you look at other custom dies. some people dont like the idea of fireforming but to me it dont matter because i always fire a case once before i do any load work up
Yep I use that time to break in barrel. No sense loading before that because you gain speed. So why do load work twice it doesn't seem to be a waste of barrel in my book. Especially how accurate factory loaded PRC rounds are. I can always fireform while hunting if shots are 400 and under.

Depends on
That is what I was wanting to hear, the dreaded clicker everyone talks about. So, is the performance better or about the same using 215 - 245gr Berger's?
depends on distance. I always like the speed. I'm running. The 214 hammers at 3180fps and that not pushing it. Since im able to get out to 1200 with my 300 win mag and 181 at roughly the same speed the 214 in the Sherman should get me way out.