6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag) Q@A

Thanks for posting to start with !! Awesome stuff there.
I am currently running a 6.5 PRC on a TL3.
If I would have known what I know now I would Have went this direction from the beginning with this build. Well I am now going to make the switch to SST and put the PRC barrel on the shelf...
New barrel will be Bartlein 5R @26" for sure.. has anyone done any testing with the A-Tips, 135's or 153's and how do they mate up with this chamber ?
Looking forward to this coming together soon...

Last edited:
Hello Mr. Osborne...I'm a 6.5sst shooter& have been for nearly 2yrs. I've got quite a bit of load info. I posted some under the Sherman load data post on LRS...but I can absolutely say that the v560 and re26 powders run well with regular. primers & the 14- 147grain bullets but also one powder that I haven't heard anyone else say anything about is 7828 standard not ss...I've gotten the lowest s.ds as well as best velocity from it when paired with br2's and hornady 143's and 147's. Retumbo also has been better than most and gives great s.d's and velocity with the heaviest bullets such as 147's and 150's. Hope that can help a little.
Thank you for the information !!! This will be very usefull I'm sure. I would like to know if anyone has run the A-Tips yet and what kind of results they have been getting.

Last edited:
I haven't shot the hornady 6.5 A-tips yet but I have run the 6mm110 grain a-tips in my 6 creed. The 110 grain A-tips came in box's of 100- I ordered 500- and each box had an internal clear plastic egg carton type of holder where each bullet is held vertically in place, not touching any other bullet keeping it from being knocked around or dented during shipping. They were all extremely uniform in length and weight,but packaging alone would make cost go up. And they are high priced compared with other hornady bullets, but I gotta say they do look pretty cool with the aluminum tips. But without taking measurements the general shape of the 6mm 110's looks extremely similar to the hornady eld-m 108's just a hair longer. So they're definitely not a newer design or a vld type shape, I can't speak for the other a-tips for different calibers ,but they appear to be very similar to the eld-m's but with the aluminum tips being the only significant new feature as well as having heavier grain bullets in all the caliber offerings. I shoot the 115 d-tacs and really like them, go through 5000 or so a year,and I've also shot a lot of hornady's eld-m 108's and for the price are also a decent bullet. I've run the smk 110's,several thousand of them,and they're good bullets, a little bit more difficult to get tuned than the hybrid type ojive bullets. The new 110 grain. a-tips look like they'd be easy to get tuned in but I've had zero luck getting them to shoot the 1/4 moa 100yrd groups that I know my gun can shoot and does shoot with 115 d-tacs. I started off with them lightly jammed and made up 3 round tester groups backing off .4 (BTO measurement) from the previous group,shooting 10 separate 3 round tester groups,never achieving anything better than just under 1moa @ 100yrds my first trip to the range. Being a little disappointed and knowing I have 500 rounds of these new bullets I made another 10 groups of the 3 round tester groups but this time I only lowered the BTO measurements by .2 per each of the 3 round tester groups. Again no luck finding a sweet spot. I'm not sure how all the other calibers and weights are going to be working out for everyone but I'm gonna wait a while and listen to other people's results before I invest any more cash into this new line of a-tips. The 30 cal 250 grain a-tips look good as well as the heavy 6.5.... but only time will tell.

I haven't shot the hornady 6.5 A-tips yet but I have run the 6mm110 grain a-tips in my 6 creed. The 110 grain A-tips came in box's of 100- I ordered 500- and each box had an internal clear plastic egg carton type of holder where each bullet is held vertically in place, not touching any other bullet keeping it from being knocked around or dented during shipping. They were all extremely uniform in length and weight,but packaging alone would make cost go up. And they are high priced compared with other hornady bullets, but I gotta say they do look pretty cool with the aluminum tips. But without taking measurements the general shape of the 6mm 110's looks extremely similar to the hornady eld-m 108's just a hair longer. So they're definitely not a newer design or a vld type shape, I can't speak for the other a-tips for different calibers ,but they appear to be very similar to the eld-m's but with the aluminum tips being the only significant new feature as well as having heavier grain bullets in all the caliber offerings. I shoot the 115 d-tacs and really like them, go through 5000 or so a year,and I've also shot a lot of hornady's eld-m 108's and for the price are also a decent bullet. I've run the smk 110's,several thousand of them,and they're good bullets, a little bit more difficult to get tuned than the hybrid type ojive bullets. The new 110 grain. a-tips look like they'd be easy to get tuned in but I've had zero luck getting them to shoot the 1/4 moa 100yrd groups that I know my gun can shoot and does shoot with 115 d-tacs. I started off with them lightly jammed and made up 3 round tester groups backing off .4 (BTO measurement) from the previous group,shooting 10 separate 3 round tester groups,never achieving anything better than just under 1moa @ 100yrds my first trip to the range. Being a little disappointed and knowing I have 500 rounds of these new bullets I made another 10 groups of the 3 round tester groups but this time I only lowered the BTO measurements by .2 per each of the 3 round tester groups. Again no luck finding a sweet spot. I'm not sure how all the other calibers and weights are going to be working out for everyone but I'm gonna wait a while and listen to other people's results before I invest any more cash into this new line of a-tips. The 30 cal 250 grain a-tips look good as well as the heavy 6.5.... but only time will tell.
Here is a 5 shot group with the 135 A-Tip out of my 6.5 PRC... 3166 fps with a 7.3 SD... much different over all shape than the 140 eldm for sure, more like a Beger 140 Hybrid...
I am hoping that I can get them to shoot in the SST...

Attachments

• 20190626_095346.jpg
    20190626_095346.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 137
Looks like you definitely had a lot better luck with yours than I had. You should try the 150's with the sst and get full advantage of the high b.c. with the set's velocity. In my opinion though the eld-m's are similar with the Berger hybrids the olive's don't have that secant sharp vld shape,but you know what they say about opinions... no matter what you decide on I'm sure you'll really enjoy the sst. I almost built the 6.5prc also,I had even purchased 200 pieces of brass and had the reamer, but I have zero regrets with my decision. The shorter fatter sst case provides better powder burn and the shorter case benefits are many. The ability to send the 147gr eld-m's & SMK 150 grain high b.c. bullets at 3050 plus fps without burning your barrel up,like with the 264 mag. or dealing with the heavier recoil of bigger cal. bullets makes the 6.5 sst an excellent gun to have for longer range engagement's whether ringing steel or shooting m.o.a. of elk...enjoy! -have a good one!

Looks like you definitely had a lot better luck with yours than I had. You should try the 150's with the sst and get full advantage of the high b.c. with the set's velocity. In my opinion though the eld-m's are similar with the Berger hybrids the olive's don't have that secant sharp vld shape,but you know what they say about opinions... no matter what you decide on I'm sure you'll really enjoy the sst. I almost built the 6.5prc also,I had even purchased 200 pieces of brass and had the reamer, but I have zero regrets with my decision. The shorter fatter sst case provides better powder burn and the shorter case benefits are many. The ability to send the 147gr eld-m's & SMK 150 grain high b.c. bullets at 3050 plus fps without burning your barrel up,like with the 264 mag. or dealing with the heavier recoil of bigger cal. bullets makes the 6.5 sst an excellent gun to have for longer range engagement's whether ringing steel or shooting m.o.a. of elk...enjoy! -have a good one!
I am really looking forward to getting everything together.. Like I said before If I would have known what I know now I would Ha e gone the SST route for sure.
Thanks I appreciate any help I can get...

I do know a couple others shooting the 6mm 110gr A-Tips and they are have some good success with more jump than they usually run. Maybe they prefer a running start... I know that I will be trying that with the 153 AT's and see if that makes any difference... photo is 153 AT @ 100 out of the PRC... I wonder how they will shoot out of the 6.5 SST ???

Attachments

• 20190720_135451.jpg
    20190720_135451.jpg
    743.4 KB · Views: 117
**** nice group! I've been waiting to get my hands on the 153's...but still on back order ...I'm sure they will shoot great once a bto... oal... is found in the sweet spot...

Rule 4 nice group! I've been waiting to get my hands on the 153's...but still on back order ...I'm sure they will shoot great once a bto... oal... is found in the sweet spot...
Could I ask what RULE 4 means ? I am ignorant to that one, admittedly!!!!

Hello gentleman. I currently have a Havak 6.5 PRC but it's just not for me so started looking into a SAUM/GAP 4s. I kept coming across the same theme, that to take advantage of the latest high BC heavier bullets an intermediate action was the route to go. I'm wanting to go short action with a 24" barrel to keep things light and more packable for hunting. As luck would have it I saw a few folks mention the SS, which I hadn't heard of before. Did a little research and messaged Rich on Facebook (I'm assuming it was him), but hadn't come across this particular thread and glad I did. To get to the question, I'm not a fan of the eld's so looking to stick with Berger. I like what I'm hearing about the 156 EOL's but if my barrel doesn't like them will I be able to load up the 140 hybrid target/hunters and still have the proper freebore to seat to the lands and chase them with throat erosion without running into COAL hitting mag length? Same question goes for the new heavier 6.5 bullets.

I'm learning more as I go along but still get a bit confused when it comes to freebore, even though I know what it is. Thanks folks!

The new hornady A-tip 153grain is another good option you should definitely consider. The people I've spoken with that have already been shooting them say they're easy to get dialed in and shoot as good as you can ask for. Although it's a match bullet I would think it's jacket might be too thin for elk sized game but I haven't seen any ballistic tests with it yet to tell how it might perform on animals...if that's what they would be used for.

The new hornady A-tip 153grain is another good option you should definitely consider. The people I've spoken with that have already been shooting them say they're easy to get dialed in and shoot as good as you can ask for. Although it's a match bullet I would think it's jacket might be too thin for elk sized game but I haven't seen any ballistic tests with it yet to tell how it might perform on animals...if that's what they would be used for.

I have a 300 Norma for elk. This would be for deer. Rich (I'm assuming) did get back to me on Facebook saying the SST may be a better option for the 156 Berger's and fitting them into most magazines, but would the SST put me into 6.5 Saum velocity territory or does it still hold an advantage? Of course this is considering a short action. Is there a mag that would best suit the SS for the longer bullets or is it best to go in the SST direction?

Okay, so I finally pulled the proverbial "trigger" on the 6.5 SST....
Ordered brass and dies from Rich and have a 26" proof Sendero carbon fiber barrel being done up by Nick at Straight Jacket Armory.... Switching up from my PRC...
So here is what I will have...
6.5 SST
Proof Sendero CF 26" 1/8
Manners T4A Team Elite Hunter C/F Elite Tac- MCS-DBM Mini Chasis
BigHorn TL3 S/A DLC Coating
Athlon Optics Ares BTR 4.5 - 27 x 50
NightForce Ultralite 6 screw rings
Atlas Pic rail and Bipod
Trigger Tech PVC Primary trigger
Area 419 6.5 HellFire or Odinworks 6.5 muzzle brake.
Now I have several weeks to wait for the barrel....
I cannot wait to get this together and get to the range !!!!