6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag) Q@A

Thanks Elk, I'll have to measure my action. I have a nice little model 7 in ss with the stock 20" barrel. Nice little gun for normal hunting but what a gun it could be in 6.5 ss with a 24" to 25" # 3 or #4 flutted. If not I'll do a 260 imp.

SS is shorter than the 260 Imp.

Thanks Elk, I'll have to measure my action. I have a nice little model 7 in ss with the stock 20" barrel. Nice little gun for normal hunting but what a gun it could be in 6.5 ss with a 24" to 25" # 3 or #4 flutted. If not I'll do a 260 imp.

Hey elk, I'll have to measure it. It is a 260 rem. from the factory , I didn't realize the 260 imp was longer. Thanks I'll do some measuring.

I see in the Oneillops review he is running this cartridge in an ai magazine. I have been looking to convert my .243 which takes ai mags, into one of the short mag cartridges. Will the 6.5 sherman work just fine out of an unmodified ai .308 mag? I have about 6 .308 ai mags and would hate to convert this .243 into something i can not use these mags for or have to modify them.

I see in the Oneillops review he is running this cartridge in an ai magazine. I have been looking to convert my .243 which takes ai mags, into one of the short mag cartridges. Will the 6.5 sherman work just fine out of an unmodified ai .308 mag? I have about 6 .308 ai mags and would hate to convert this .243 into something i can not use these mags for or have to modify them.

The 308 AI works great! All you have to do is spread the lips .080" to fit the .550" head size. Just measure the gap at the top and bend each side out .040". Mine feeds flawlessly...........rich

Rich, has anyone built the short mag on a savage short action? I guess you would need to change out the bolt face as well but everything else should go fine with the stock gun correct? I just found a really nice used Savage predator hunter that would make a great platform for this great cartridge. Thinking hard about doing it.

Rich, has anyone built the short mag on a savage short action? I guess you would need to change out the bolt face as well but everything else should go fine with the stock gun correct? I just found a really nice used Savage predator hunter that would make a great platform for this great cartridge. Thinking hard about doing it.

You better go for it. I just built a 7SS on a savage 16 which was chambered in 300 WSM, so I did not have to change anything. The thing works flawlessly and shoots lights out. I can hit 3050' with the 180 Bergers and I held .3 moa at nearly 1100 yards with a load clocking 2960':D

A few months ago , I did this same thing for the 6.5 Sherman, and because of all the questions I've received, I thought it might be good to do the SS as well.
The 6.5 SS was designed to be a TRUE short action with magnum punch. When I say "true short action" I refer to a round that will be able to cycle through a short action mag box with the long VLD style bullets and not have to be seated back into the case. This can not only affect accuracy, but also defeats the purpose of a large volume case being able to produce top velocity. In order to accomplish the above criteria, we selected the 7 SAUM case as a parent. By pushing the shoulder back, blowing out the body taper, and sharpening the shoulder, we were able to maintain most of the case capacity in a much shorter case. This shorter powder column increases the efficiency of the cartridge, and I think this has proven out with the performance we are getting. We were also able to produce a much longer neck at the same time. This not only helps with accuracy potential, but IMO, also reduces throat erosion (longer barrel life) by containing the flame point point further back in the neck rather than directly into the throat area. The dimension from the case head to the neck junction is very close to the Creedmore, which establishes the OAL of the cartridge.
As far as performance goes, the SS is everything we had hoped for. With RL33 it appears that 3100' is doable with a 160 in a 26" barrel. With the 140's, 3200'+ is no problem. Accuracy is very good as is case life. This is especially true when we use the 300 SAUM Norma cases.
As far as case prep goes, I like to be right up front with people. The SS is not difficult to form, but by the same token, it is not for everyone. If you don't mind a little bit of fuss, the rewards are there. You will need a 7 SAUM die shortened by about .090". This allows for pushing the shoulder back. I like to leave the expander ball in and "iron" out the case neck with 6-8 strokes of the press. This usually pushes the extra brass to the "outside" of the base of the neck so it can be removed during neck turning. I then trim the case length to spec and use a Hornady hand neck turner to true up the neck wall and create the proper clearance for the chamber. I turn the neck approx. .005-010" farther than the chamber spec which gives a nice clean junction at the neck/shoulder after fire forming. Next step is to run through the SS die to neck down to 6.5. I set the die to leave the neck approx. .010" short of where the new junction will be. This assures proper head spacing when fire forming. You can then either load a bullet and fire away, or use the cow method with shotgun/pistol powder, which is what I prefer.
We think this will make a great light weight carry rifle and/or a very good long range weapon for big game, up to and including elk with the 160's at 3050-3100'.
For anyone wanting to join the party, I have both the reamers and custom dies in stock for a quick turn around on your build.
Feel free to post any questions or comments.......Rich

I just realized that I posted the wrong pics, but you can get the idea.

I am resurrecting this old thread because a lot of new members call and want to know what the ss is? There has been a lot of water under the bridge since this thread started but still some useful info. A good number have been built with some pretty happy shooters. Between the 6.5 Ang larger bore versions, they have become a very effective long range choice. Because of the success, we will soon have some high quality head stamped brass from ADG. The brass will also be available for the little brother SS/T (Tactical) version which is getting some attention in PRS matches.
Those of you who already have builds, feel free to add your comments..... rich

I am resurrecting this old thread because a lot of new members call and want to know what the ss is? There has been a lot of water under the bridge since this thread started but still some useful info. A good number have been built with some pretty happy shooters. Between the 6.5 Ang larger bore versions, they have become a very effective long range choice. Because of the success, we will soon have some high quality head stamped brass from ADG. The brass will also be available for the little brother SS/T (Tactical) version which is getting some attention in PRS matches.
Those of you who already have builds, feel free to add your comments..... rich

I've pretty much decided to build the 6.5 SS for my next build. Would I be able to use my 308 SAKO action or should I plan on buying another action?

Kris

I've pretty much decided to build the 6.5 SS for my next build. Would I be able to use my 308 SAKO action or should I plan on buying another action?

Kris
You would need a magnum bolt face. You should ask a smith if a short mag would work well in it? The Tikkas, which are built by Sako, make a GREAT SS platform.

You would need a magnum bolt face. You should ask a smith if a short mag would work well in it? The Tikkas, which are built by Sako, make a GREAT SS platform.
Mine was a Tikka T3 Lite in 7mmRM before I had it chambered in 6.5 SS. I upgraded the bm to PTG long and bought an Alpha Type 4 10rd mag and could not be happier. Others will likely chime in regarding the "short" Sako action and any mods that might need to be made beyond the bolt face.

elkaholic
I'll be taking my .308 Sako to my smith in a few weeks when I go to pick up another build. He's going to look at it and see if we can do the SS build on it. He thinks we can probably open the bolt up. When we get ready to barrel this or another action are the reamers easy to find? would we be able to rent or buy a reamer?

Kris