6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag) Q@A

I hit pressure at 3140.
These were some of the first rounds through the gun. I backed off to 3030 and put 20 together at that load. Using RL 26.
I pushed some 160's at 3100, but couldn't get consistency in my velocity.
Just got a box of 150 smk but haven't shot any yet.
I will prolly stick with the 147's.

I hit pressure at 3140.
These were some of the first rounds through the gun. I backed off to 3030 and put 20 together at that load. Using RL 26.
I pushed some 160's at 3100, but couldn't get consistency in my velocity.
Just got a box of 150 smk but haven't shot any yet.
I will prolly stick with the 147's.

Are those the new SMK? I really like the BC in those and was thinking they would be one of the first bullets to try when I get my 6.5 SS put together. I'd be really interested to see how those shoot in a 6.5 SS.
Kris

Yes they are the new ones.
I have high hopes for them, but there has been lots of conflicting results on animals so..... I just wish they were tipped like the eldm's.
I have had good ( consistent) results with the 170 bergers in .277 so possibly the smk's with be fine. The meplat is significantly tighter on the smk than the Bergers.

Elkaholic, thanks for the resurrection, lots of good questions here. One I did not see, about what will the ADG brass run, cost wise ? And it will not need neck turning, correct ?
I am still undecided about what my next build will be, as in smaller, or larger, than my first builder, which is a 338. I love big block engines and big bore guns ! I just keep thinking, I can hardly keep from choking over the cost of shooting my 338.378Wby, I would prolly have a stroke over any thing LARGER ! So, I lean toward the smaller cases. I have 2 30cals, so it doesn't make sense to build another one. The 6.5 scene is making a big splash, those little boogers seem to be really, really, accurate, and after all, only accurate rifles are interesting. And I would like to have something a little outside the norm. Especially some thing that performs like I am seeing in the Sherman line ! What twist, for the 6.5 SS ? And Prefit ? Or not ? Cut , or button? That's all I can think of, at the moment . Thanks, Rich.

The brass will not need anything, but the first load will be fire forming. The sst will only need minimal forming and full loads will be ok. The ss will require a moderate pressure load because the shoulder will be formed. I don't have an exact figure on cost yet, but will have soon. It will be under $3.00 for sure. Maybe $2.75? An 8 twist is what we have been using, but a 7 or 7 1/2 may be required for some of the new bullet offerings?
Prefit or standard chambering are both options.
My personal barrel preferences are cut rifled in a Bart or Krieger, but there are certainly other good options.....Rich

I'm with ya Bruce. I don't like it either! Facebook is merely a tool to send people to my webpage which should be up soon.....rich

I am just finishing up getting all my parts in for my first build. Was set on a 6.5 GAP 4s but after looking up and reading everything I could find I have now decided that a 6.5 SS will be what I am going to chamber. I absolutely am blown away at all the shared info on this cartridge. I'm hoping to be dropping it off at the smith within 2 weeks then shortly ordering some brass and a reamer rental. I am building it of the deviant tactical action with a Bartlein 1-7.5 5r finished at 26" and a RHR brake. Thank you for bringing this true performer in a short action!

Didn't know where exactly to post this info. but hopefully this will help with questions about the brass. I run the 6.5sst and purchased 100 pieces of the first batch from Rich, not sure if it was ADG or bertram... but all that was required to load them& shoot was for me to resize necks to 292 for my 6.5sst due to the fact they only were available for 7mm, but the necks were already turned and neck thickness consistency was extremely good and much appreciated too. The fired rounds compared to the virgin brass were only 25-50 fps faster with no real accuracy difference b/n the 2. I had Redding make up a full resize die& a neck only resize die, as well as a seating die, but I didn't have to run the virgin brass through the full size, only neck die and had zero feeding issues. I've fired all 100 pieces twice& am now on my 3rd firing& the primer pockets are still good...not loose at all.