6.5 ss final design

Didn't make it out today but I will tomorrow, I decided to move to H4831sc and see what that yields, I'm getting the feeling Retumbo may be a little slow for this case. My case density looks like better with the h4831sc, I'm shooting 56.3, 57,57.5 and 58 gr, the 56.3 load is a killer accurate load in the 6.5 Sherman and we've documented it well so I wanted to shoot it in the 6.5 SS as a direct comparison between the two.
Formed up another 15 pieces of brass and I ran them all through with just a little bit of dry lube on the necks and I didn't have a single dent and sizing was smooth and fast.

I don't want to see any paper between the holes:D......Rich

Thanks Andy.....I'm still hoping to share a hole in a bear if my smith gets my rifle together. I'm fast running out of daylight with season ending in my unit the end of May.......Rich

So I got the candle lit today, it was interesting to see what came of the 56.3 grains of H4831sc compared to the 6.5 Sherman. The 6.5 SS ran right in the same speed as the 6.5 Sherman and accuracy was there also :D I did hit some pressure signs at the top end at the 57.5 and 58 gr but not excessive, the 58 grains shot poorly, the 56.3 and 57 looked very good, the bottom shot on the 57gr I reefed the trigger like I had a grudge against but I think it may be a good one to reload and give it a fair shake.
022.jpg

Darn, I'm so envious I could spit! I've always had excellent accuracy with H4831 in the 6.5 but usually not near top velocity. I think some RL22 and 7828 would really light that thing up! I have about every slow powder made if I ever get my rifle together:rolleyes:.......Rich

Thats really great news Rhian and Rich, Im convinced that a long action I have could be a 6.5 Sherman or 280 version, A short SS now looks a great way to get a great SA new 6.5. I may have to get the SA I have a line on coming sooner now!! Ive got matrix bullets waiting also. Keep up the great work guys!

Andy

I missed the distance you shot the groups at did you say 600?:D

Just kidding, (I hope!) I am assuming 100 yds.?

What were your velocities or did you not chrono this time?

Thanks

Last edited:

Thanks

Rhian will probably chime in later but I think he has hit 3230' and hasn't topped out yet with the powders we think will perform (142 gr. Matrix). Looks like Rhian will have to continue to carry the torch for a little longer. I talked to my smith today and he is waiting for an extractor:rolleyes:....Rich

Thanks

I'm going to load a batch and run them out there farther soon, I shoot much better once the range gets interesting. I got velocities from 3060's to 3240 fps from this batch of loads. I should have 40 Norma 300 SAUM brass soon and I'm thinking that will be the icing on the cake!

Rich I've been reading you post about your new design on the 6.5 short mag.
Are you blowing the case out, if so how much

Don

Finally got my SS back from the smith today. I hope to get a chance to shoot a little this weekend? I put two rounds down the barrel today just to form a case and say I got to shoot it. A fairly mild load of RL 22 clocked 3060' with a 142 Matrix. Here is a pic of the rifle......richDSCF0564.jpg

DSCF0563.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.