6.5 ss final design

HEY ELK! If you ever need a guinea pig for trying out new projects.... IM YOUR MAN!!!! I know how terrible it is to have to try an choose between projects and what rifle to shoot.:D

HEY ELK! If you ever need a guinea pig for trying out new projects.... IM YOUR MAN!!!! I know how terrible it is to have to try an choose between projects and what rifle to shoot.:D

Ya, I feel pretty blessed! I dont spend much $$$$ on anything else and buy and sell to raise $$$$ for my fun. It's a lot cleaner life than my old one!.......Rich

Question......
Will the 6.5 ss fit on a 308 short action or does the bolt face need modification
Just so happen to have a stiller in 308 bolt face looking for a home and this sounds like a great idea

Some news on the build. Both PTG (go gauge) and Whidden (dies) said they will ship this week. I picked up this nice Manners MCS-t3 from a forum member and also an action, last week. All I need now is a SA bottom metal. Hopefully, my smith can do something next week? Here is a pic of the stock....Rich DSCF0521.jpg

Whats the OAL of the case? Did you shorten the SAUM brass a bit to get the neck back behind the ogive of a 140 Berger at 2.95" or so? This sounds like a neat project and I bet it works well. It is a lot similar to My .264 Raptor Which sends 130 bergers or Accubonds over 3200 with a 24" Barrel. Yours will make a great cartridge for almost anything from Mountain hunting to F Class! Good Luck!

7 SAUM, 264 Raptor, 7WSM, 270 WSM

DSCF3586.JPG

Sub 6lb (with scope) Mountain rifle.

DSC_1037.JPG

Whats the OAL of the case? Did you shorten the SAUM brass a bit to get the neck back behind the ogive of a 140 Berger at 2.95" or so? This sounds like a neat project and I bet it works well. It is a lot similar to My .264 Raptor Which sends 130 bergers or Accubonds over 3200 with a 24" Barrel. Yours will make a great cartridge for almost anything from Mountain hunting to F Class! Good Luck!

7 SAUM, 264 Raptor, 7WSM, 270 WSM

DSCF3586.JPG

Sub 6lb (with scope) Mountain rifle.

DSC_1037.JPG

Very nice! The case is 1.96" in length but the secret is the length to the base of the neck which is .320". This allows the long bullets to be seated properly for max performance and still fit in a 700 mag box. Taper was removed from the body and the shoulder sharpened to gain back some capacity (around 71 grains h2o) and also to lengthen throat life......Rich
p.s. looks like the Raptor has a 35 degree shoulder?

Ahh, So shortened a bit but shoulder pushed back also. I avoided pushing the shoulder back to make sizing easier. The boat tail on the 140 berger hangs just below the neck when seated to fit a Wyatt's box, but the 130 fits quite well. The design also allows the use of a 130 accubond in a Model 7 action which I like for some builds.
I'll definately be checking this thread to see the SS when you get it running with those 160 Matrix bullets. The website says they are bonded, and if thats the case I might have to try some out!

Rich
Can you give me a breakdown of the differences between your round and the 6.5 RSAUM, and the advantages to your round. Looking for a 6.5 with the case capacity to use H1000(slower powder) for more barrel life at lower pressures.
Thanks
Jim

Rich
Can you give me a breakdown of the differences between your round and the 6.5 RSAUM, and the advantages to your round. Looking for a 6.5 with the case capacity to use H1000(slower powder) for more barrel life at lower pressures.
Thanks
Jim

Hi Jim......The 6.5 saum is simply a 7 necked down to 6.5 There is nothing wrong with that except you need a long action to seat the long bullets out where they need to be. The difference in this case is, the shoulder is pushed back, the body taper is blown out, and the shoulder is changed to 40 degrees. This allows the bullets to be seated properly in the case to fit in a SA and the new case dimensions make up most of the lost capacity from pushing the shoulder back. Also, the shorter powder column should increase the efficiency a bit. Bottom line is, I believe the velocity will be on par with the 6.5 saum but will be much more short action friendly:D. Also, barrel life should increase with the long neck and 40 degree shoulder. I hope this answers your questions....Rich

Yep, that covers it.
Should get over 3000 rounds or more with this using H1000 and keeping pressure at 58,000 or less from what I am reading about the 6.5 saum which your case is a slightly better design in my mind.
Should get 3200+ with the 130's and 3100+ with the 140's out of a 26" barrel.
Let us know your results.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts