6.5 Sherman Recipes

Vestals Gunsmithing is now building custom rifles chambered in the Sherman Shortmags. They have a Facebook page and website.

So is it pretty much across the board that reloader 26 is the best powder in the 6.5 Sherman? Just to clarify NOT the SS.

There are a lot of powders that work well, but it is the best all around. I have heard great things about N570 too, but have not personally used it......Rich

Thanks Rich,
I am starting to look for components and didn't want to waste my time and money on others. Do you have a preferred brass? I'm planning on running RL-26, fed210-m primers, and 143g eld-x's.

Thanks Rich,
I am starting to look for components and didn't want to waste my time and money on others. Do you have a preferred brass? I'm planning on running RL-26, fed210-m primers, and 143g eld-x's.

Norma 270 or 280. If you get the 280, you MAY have to neck turn? I had a guy last week tell me that he only had a thou clearance with the 280 which was a surprise to me. Most of the '06 sized head brass is MUCH thinner including the 270 Norma that I have. Watch the diameter on the eldx. Some of them are running over size and can cause pressure problems. Not a big deal if you know ahead....Rich

To all 6.5 Sherman shooters. I need to hear from anyone who used 140 Amax, 140 Berger vld, or 140 Accubond for fire forming their brass. I need accurate CBTO measurement from anyone using the .297 nk / .235 freebore reamer. I need to send break-in rounds to my smith, to smooth up barrel, before he sends it off to be nitrided. It's a PITA not to have the chambered rifle in my posession to do my own measuring, but that's what I'm up against. I also have 160 Matrix, but prefer to use the other 3 for fireforming. Korhil gave me his CBTO on the 143 eldx, but I had traded away all mine. Thanks in advance, David

I realize it's an older thread, but what COAL are you guys using? I'm in the process of planning a 6.5 Sherman, but want to make sure my donor rifle (3.520") has a mag length long enough to fit the Sherman.

Thanks

I realize it's an older thread, but what COAL are you guys using? I'm in the process of planning a 6.5 Sherman, but want to make sure my donor rifle (3.520") has a mag length long enough to fit the Sherman.

Thanks

Thanks

3.520 will work with the long throat with all but the 143 ELDX. It would even work there if you were able to jump them a little. With the std. throat, it would work with ANY of the 6.5 bullets.......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.