6.5 Sherman Recipes

Thanks for the help so far everyone! I'm definitely not new to reloading, but I'm pretty green when it comes to loading a wildcat.

I found some R-26 at Midway. I can't wait to give it a tryin the Sherman.

Jay

You are going to love RL26. It will really light up the Sherman and with very low ES in my trials. I would start with about 60 grains with the 140's and move up from there. I reached 3300' in the SS and the Sherman has more capacity. Have a good backstop:D.......Rich

Dang! I passed on some RL-26 today... If I didn't already have a couple pounds of Retumbo, RL-22, and IMR 7828, I probably would have picked up a pound or two. It sounds like a pretty awesome powder though. I may have to go back to the local gun shop....

I posted this on another thread but thought it should probably end up here too. This was from my new longer throat 6.5 sherman. It is a very tight Lilja barrel so it takes a little less powder than normal. The load was Norma brass, F210 primer, 60 grs. RL26, 150 Matrix at 3.517" coal which is just into the lands with this longer throat. Velocity was 3080'. DSCF1259.jpg

Nice shooting Rich! I'm anxious to try some loads out with mine here shortly. I haven't seen RL-26 for a couple months, I'll have to see how mine likes Retumbo for now.

Nice shooting Rich! I'm anxious to try some loads out with mine here shortly. I haven't seen RL-26 for a couple months, I'll have to see how mine likes Retumbo for now.

When I built my first Sherman in '09, I used Retumbo. My favorite load was 63 grs, behind a 140 vld for about 3140'. I loaded it into the lands which I think was around 3.465" in the original chamber......Rich

Shot a 6 shot 6 inch group at 1100 yards in the wind today with the 150 Matrix at 3127'. Load was 60 grs. RL26 with a 5 es.

I think I read somewhere else that you hadn't used the 215M because the 210M worked well and you didn't see a need for the magnum primers. Is that correct?
I recently bought 1000 215M for my 8mm Rem Mag. Wondering if they'd be a good choice for the 6.5 SS or if I should get some non-magnum primers.

I think I read somewhere else that you hadn't used the 215M because the 210M worked well and you didn't see a need for the magnum primers. Is that correct?
I recently bought 1000 215M for my 8mm Rem Mag. Wondering if they'd be a good choice for the 6.5 SS or if I should get some non-magnum primers.

I use only std. primers......Rich

I put some different mounts on my Sherman today so went out to dial it in. I am posting this load because it has been VERY consistent. I shoot this in my long throat version so you might want to lower it 1 grain in the std. throat. I fired three shots at 100 yards after getting the scope dialed in and then traveled 20 miles to where I could shoot 1100 yards. The vertical was at least double, for some reason, but check out the cold bore shot which was the bull. This rifle ALWAYS shoots the first shot lower, but as I said, this load normally has no more than a 3" vertical at this range......RichView attachment 6.5 Sherm:150 Matrix:59 RL26.pdf

View attachment 1100 yd. cold bore 6.5 sherm:150 matrix.pdf

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.