6.5 Sherman AKA meat stick strikes!!!

bigngreen

It was a perfect long range shooting morning, calm, cool and deer moving. The 6.5 Sherman was the only player on the field cause someone :rolleyes: rearranged the truck last minute and didn't put his 270 WSM back into the truck but we didn't need it any way.
We have our favorite deer spot that we can glass the deer coming up into it from an opposing rock ledge that makes for an excellent shooting platform, 13 deer came and we ranged them in till 610 yards and the first doe took a 140 Berger high in the spine. The herd didn't have a clue what happened and they we're being way to dumb and a second one was chosen and my bro sent a Berger through her heart at 560 yards. It couldn't have been better, I think it may take dad a little while to learn to hold where you want a bullet and not start creeping up, we did loose some back strap. The 140 Berger performance was perfect as usual with a pin hole in and devastation in the middle, the 6.5 Sherman is an outstanding cartridge and performance is easy and consistent and just flat puts the smack down on game!!! "Meat stick" is up to 1735 yrds!!!
Pic one is hero shots, two is the exit and 6.5 Sherman, thee is the shooting rock and four is all of us!! Rich, 270 Sherman with .650 BC 165gr bullet?!?

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2210.jpg

IMG_2211.jpg

IMG_2212.jpg

Tank
The Sherman uses a 270 Win case that is improved alot.
The load I am shooting uses 63gr. of Retumbo with room for a bit more. Cliff

Congrats on the shooting.

I have used the 6.5-06 AI for many years and always liked the performance you get for the low recoil level you have to deal with in a non braked rifle. Course, I like muzzle brakes so recoil is not an issue.

For the Berger bullets, your right in the sweet spot for performance with your mid class performance wildcat. Great combo and you are right, they are amazing performers, especially on deer size game.

Looking good, guys. And good shooting.

Finally got to see what a 6.5 Sherman will do. Nice. I'm intrigued.

Thanks for the pix and write-up.

I'm betting "meat stick" stacks some elk up soon, it's got to do in a couple elk and a 30" mule deer. Dad's got a big buck tag in an excellent unit so we'll find one up in some basin and send one special delivery, would be nice if Vortex could get a scope delivered by then :D
I do like the way the 6.5 Sherman shoots, you can't really see it good in the pic but there is a 3 port Mini Muscle Brake on it which makes it so ridiculously easy going it should be a crime!
The 140 Berger is outstanding as well, we've taken game with all but the 7mm and 20 cal Bergers and performance has been excellent, we've even tried to blow them up but no can do. The 6.5 Sherman is definitely running in the sweet spot for the 140 Bergers!

Bigngreen,

how do the 6.5 Sherman ballistics compare to a 280 ackley improved, using same weight bullets??? only asking because I can buy ready made 280 AI brass from nosler. yes, its high but buy once cry once!!

Thanks, Mike

Bigngreen,

how do the 6.5 Sherman ballistics compare to a 280 ackley improved, using same weight bullets??? only asking because I can buy ready made 280 AI brass from nosler. yes, its high but buy once cry once!!

Thanks, Mike

Mike, not really familiar with the capabilities of the 280 AI, what would it push a 140 VLD?

Mike, not really familiar with the capabilities of the 280 AI, what would it push a 140 VLD?

Rhian....great post but then I'm a little biased!:D The .280 A.I. will likely push the 140 a little faster, but only because of the larger basal area with the same weight. Of course the downside is the 140 in the A.I. will have a lower b.c. and the Sherman would take over at longer range. i.e. The .280 Sherman will push a 140 faster than an A.I.! You can actually use the A.I. Nosler case to form the Sherman and you don't get quite as much shrinkage as it doesn't have to move everything so far.......Rich

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.