6.5 SAUM Range update

Looks like your 60gr group proves to yourself you are shooting well....at 3100fps.....looks like a fine tune to wrap up...then long ranging it to prove....
It's already "lethal_chickie"
Good job

Looks like your 60gr group proves to yourself you are shooting well....at 3100fps.....looks like a fine tune to wrap up...then long ranging it to prove....
It's already "lethal_chickie"
Good job
Thank you... It was a bit cathartic today shooting these bergers. I struggled with the LRABs. I am going to do just that fine tune at 60.0gr and then head to the long range. I think our range is open again. The longest I have access to is 600 yards. Will keep you posted on my results as I head to that range.

Thanks again. Best, Victoria

Thank you... It was a bit cathartic today shooting these bergers. I struggled with the LRABs. I am going to do just that fine tune at 60.0gr and then head to the long range. I think our range is open again. The longest I have access to is 600 yards. Will keep you posted on my results as I head to that range.

Thanks again. Best, Victoria
I would bump up another .5 grain and see if it opens up.

My 6.5 SAUM was by far the easiest rifle i have ever loaded for. Berger 140 EH .010" off the lands, 62.0gr H4831SC goes into same hole at 100 yards and under 1.5" at 450 yards. Haven't shot out any further. H4831SC was surprisingly fast in my rifle. Had no reason to test any other powder.
View attachment 197173

CEB,
What stock is that on your rifle?

Thanks Dave

In general speeds she is already surpassing the 65284 by 100-150fps....isnt that what that 65 saum cartridge was designed at....
Why burn out a barrel just to achieve more fps....if the Berger can't open at that speed what good are they.....
I would rather 'pay to play at the range' than pay the gunsmith for another barrel....

I think his comment was intended to see what the accuracy would be...not to light up the chrono. The whole point is to be in the middle of a stable node

We're only talking about half a grain...

**UPDATE June 13, 2020 ***
Today was a great day shooting. I went to my long range, well long for here at 600 yards. The 156 Berger's grouped AWESOME! I had good success with the 140 Bergers at 60.0 gr of RL 26. Not so much at 60.2 grains. The 60gr load is consistent from when I shot it before.

I shot a group at 200 and 300. The Mirage effect was terrible, aka MIRAGE FROM HELL (see handwritten notes below), even through the temps were on the cooler side for this time of year on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I screwed up and forgot to put the dope on the gun for the 1st shot at 300 yards. You can see the round just nicked the paper. I will reshoot these distances soon.

After I got done punching holes in paper, I shot some steel 8" plates. I used the Strelok app for dope. Shot 200 yards, 300 yards, 500, yards and 600 yards. Only miss was at 1 at 500 and I pulled it. All in all, a pretty good day.
1592081252966.png

1592081288755.png

1592081313521.png

1592081352905.png

1592081380815.png

Nice looking groups and good record keeping. Glad you got to try out the 156EH. I was running them at 59.0 grains of RL 26 during my early break-in. As the barrel sped up and my velocities started to get north of 3000 fps with the same load, I started showing pressure signs and lost one primer pocket in my ADG brass. I never had a pressure problem at 2950+/- fps though. I like your ES/SD for the current 156 EH load as well. Have to admit that I have not tried the 156 EH at .015 off the lands yet so I may need to try a tighter load just to see if mine likes it too.

If you're not limiting yourself to hunting loads, I you might find the 153.5 hybrids also shoot well for your rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.