6.5 SAUM

Blacktail

so I buy a 6.5 SAUM for my son seemed like a good deal I get it send it out to get a brake and coating and shoot it guy I bought it from had 20 or so VLds loaded. Hovers around 75" not .5" as he stated. Included was a set of dies and 100 pieces of what he said was brass he turned to 6.5 saum from 7 saum. So I started loading today trying 143 Elds at 60 grs H1000 and a variety of searing depths. To make an easy 50 I ran some the brass he claimed was already done. Start trying to load the gun and I am finding just won't chamber. Is it possible I have been bamboozled?? This deal has been a nightmare had to send to cdi for DBM cause wouldn't feed now this crap. Is there a way to measure and tell? I am starting to feel like the extra brass was never turned into 6.5 saum brass. Just ordered 100 pieces of Bertram as well. Thanks. I'm obviously didn't get a good deal. If I can say with certainty this is 7 saum brass I'll make someone a good deal.

I can understand your situation because I was in it. I was so disgusted that someone would straight up lie that I gave the rifle away... letting the new owner be fully aware of the situation. It cost the new owner roughly the same as what I bought the "custom" rifle for to get it into a sub MOA shooter. Good luck I hope that rifle becomes a good luck charm for your son.

Man appreciate it the extra brass etc made it kind of a sweet deal. Let me sort through it I think there's some Remington and some Norma

If you think the guy was an honest seller I would start by trying to determine if the muzzle threading you had done has anything to do with it. 75" groups at 100yds can only be caused by a horrible crown

I would start from scratch. Treat this like a brand new rifle. Compare your fired brass to the rounds that would not chamber. It's a process of elimination game.

Pm me if you wanna talk to someone on the phone

Joe

Man I appreciate it a great deal The brake was built and added by kampfeld. I trust him the other stuff that keeps popping up is getting frustrating for sure.

Karl does great work. But mistakes happen. I don't think I could take any rifle in my safe and even try to reload rounds that shoot 6ft groups. That's why I would question the threading.

I hope it's something little though. Like I said I would start ruling stuff out. Any chance you have something contacting the barrel like a sling stud or something? I had that happen once. Made my 1/4" gun shoot 4 inches

Do you know what reamer was used? freebore and neck size? Have you tried any other bullets besides the 143 and his loaded 140vlds? what was the velocity and ES?

Some questions:

A) Did you shoot it before sending off to have a brake installed, then you would have been able to verify accuracy
B) have you checked/verified it's not the scope or rings/bases/mount?
C) are action screws torqued to proper setting?
D) barrel free floating and not touching stock?
and finally
E) how in the world do you measure 75" groups? A group that large wouldn't even show up on a target.

Everything's torqued to specs and in terms of Reamer wish I knew char in the batch of brass he sent I found handful of Hornady 6.5 gap brass and it won't even chamber so now I'm at a utter loss and can't find the guys number bought the gun from barrel stamped 6.5 gap and the dies are labeled 6.5/300 SAUM and the Hornady brass won't fit. I'm lost now

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.