6.5 saum

FastBullets

hello all. I am looking for some info on a new to me rifle that I have purchased. I recently (not here yet) aqcuired a 6.5 SAUM in a Ruger Mark 2 action 28" tube 1-9 twist. This is my first 6.5 caliber. I shot two elk in the last two years with a friends 6.5-284 and loved that. I was going to build/buy one of those but due to my love for bullets that fly faster than everyone elses, I went with the SAUM. I know the BBL life on these rifles is not as long as some others, especially when loaded to full speed. I was wondering if anyone has any load data or starting point info for me? It would seem that H1000 is the powder of choice after doing an internet search. Any others? I want to shoot 140's out of it. The previous owner said it shot Bergers well. Thanks for any help.

G

61 gr for the 140 gr Bergers is supposed to be an accurate load in the 6.5 saum.

Have you tried Retumbo any hotter? Did accuracy suffer? I want to get to 3300 if I can do it accurately. How long a BBL are you shooting through?

26 inch Shillen barrel. 64gns is the max I can fit in the case and that is a compressed load. I would imagine brass life would suffer.
I can get 3300 with 64 grains retumbo and 130 ssts

26 inch Shillen barrel. 64gns is the max I can fit in the case and that is a compressed load. I would imagine brass life would suffer.
I can get 3300 with 64 grains retumbo and 130 ssts

I see. I was thinking also of trying Reloader 17 or accurate MagPro. Have you tried any others or is Retumbo is your go to? Sounds like you got a good thing going with it.

I don't think you'll get to 3300 fps with good news. Brass is definitely going to suffer badly not to mention your throat. Elkoholic and Big-n-Green have a neat little ditty built around the SAUM case called the 6.5 Sherman. . .it's a smoker! Do a search on here and see what their velocities were, I don't think they made it much over 3200 fps. I really don't see the need to hop it up that high. . .that is the beauty of the 6.5, it does it's job at modest velocities.

I'm the pot calling the kettle black, here. . .sorry. I'm one too for pushing the outer limits. BUT - some times you gotta know when to say when. LOL :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.