6.5 SAUM Elk Results

cmor

Can't say enough good things about hunting with my 6.5 SAUM made by GA Precision shooting 136 grain Precision Ballistics bullets.

6x6 elk was taken at 620 yards. He took 1 step and laid down - the bullet did significant damage to his heart.

A mature cow elk was taken at 590 yards. She went 50 yards - the bullet made a mess of both lungs.

Mule deer was taken at 290 yards - He went 10 feet - the bullet did significant damage to his heart.

It's hard to express how nice it is hunting with equipment in which I have total confidence.

Attachments

• elk.jpg
    elk.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 394
  • mule deer.jpg
    mule deer.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 369
Deer was shot quartering toward me. Entry was inside front shoulder and exit was around diaphragm - 2 1/2" exit hole.

No exit holes on the elk - massive internal damage though.

I have the utmost confidence in our 6.5 as well, more than all the other customs I have, this guns just shoots lasers. I have an invite to assist on a cow elk hunt where 3 tags need filling. Its hard to put down the .338 and .30 cals I have, but I am so darn attracted to the SAUM shooting Berger (hunting) 140's.
We recently used in on an Antelope hunt and were only presented shots from 251 and 390 yards, both one and done shots filling both the tags.
Good job on your harvest and if the winds are light, I think the .30 and the .338 may stay cased.

Thanks for posting. I'm thinking of selling my 7mm RM as I'm building a 338 and replacing it with a 6.5 SAUM.

Being a 6.5 fanatic, the 6.5 SAUM is on my short list. I have a barrel being made now. Won't ready for this year, but will be for next!

Seeing posts like this makes the wait that much harder...,,

Nice critters!
I'll be trying out my new to me Cloud Peak Gunworks 6.5 SAUM in a little over a week on Montana mule deer and Wyoming antelope doe. I'm shooting the 130 gr JLK VLD. Have had good reports on this bullet from several different guys who have taken multiple animals at close and long range with this bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.