Wyoming Elk License Draw Results

All of the moose tags drawn were bull tags. The best one to date was a 47"er. The others were around 40". It seems that the days in the saddle necessary and time on foot increased each year to the point that I do not intend to hunt the same areas for moose. The moose numbers seem to be on a steady decline that appears to me to coincide with wolves in Yellowstone. The official evaluation is that the willow growth has steadily matured and no longer provides adequate browse. I don't really buy that explaination, but I'm not a moose habitat expert either.

That's why I had mentioned that I was looking elsewhere.

The problem with the moose population is the wolves. Moose used to be as easy to find as antelope. You just had to drive around and find the one that was closest to the road. My dad drew his third tag two years and we could not find a moose to save our lives. We always hunted area 17 on Spread creek. The places in Wyoming that were not infected with wolves still have plenty of moose. The Game and Fish have to remove several dead and wounded elk from the refuge in Jackson daily so nobody has to see what the wolves have done. The elk have their noses and hind ends eaten out and sometimes are still alive. With the last few years of drought, the feed is not what it was. But the wolves are what is reducing the moose numbers.

I know that wolves are the real issue, though I don't think anyone at G&F will publically admit that. We found a 49" moose dead several years ago. The nose had been eaten, and that was it.

We used to hunt Spread Creek as well. No more,...it's a waste of time now.

When I was on the "once in a life time" buffalo hunt in the Henry's back in 1980, I found a cow buffalo dead with nothing eaten off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Just shot and left.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.