6.5 saum 4s

Bartram brass is the only one making 6.5 saum headstamped brass. I use their brass in a couple guns the 7SAUM brass has been really good for me. the case capacity is a little lower than most other so you have to adjust your load

Hornady/GAP has brass as well, it's head stamped. George said due to a manufacturing problem they're behind, but they should have some available after the new year. Bertram will no doubt be of higher strength, I just wish it was more consistent.

I'm looking for a hunting rifle for deer and antelope in eastern Colorado and Wyoming as well as target out to 600-800 yards for practice.

Really wanting a 6.5x284, just haven't found what I'm wanting.

Greg.
You might want to consider 2 rifles both in 6.5. Either a .260 or 6.5CM for targets, high volume type shooting of all kinds and then a screamer to go along with it for your primary hunting rifle.

My 6.5LRM is running 140's at 3,400 with a fairly mild load of RL33. I'm still getting used to it and haven't piled up a lot of bodies yet but I'm really liking what I see so far.

I realize though at these speeds, barrel life is going to be limited.

For the last five years though I've shot the .260's more than anything both for game and predators/varmints putting a lot of rounds through them. I'd have had to replace the barrels on all three of them twice by now if they produced the same velocity/pressures.

A super flat shooting screamer is a lot of fun but that kind of performance comes at a pretty high cost.

Last edited:
Hornady/GAP has brass as well, it's head stamped. George said due to a manufacturing problem they're behind, but they should have some available after the new year. Bertram will no doubt be of higher strength, I just wish it was more consistent.

Hornady brass has been pure junk for the 6.5 SAUM. Too soft and primer pockets will not make it past 2 firings if your lucky. If they produce more, I hope they improve on their product.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.