6.5 saum 4s

Xtremetj

Bear with me, I'm new here and to the long range thing. I've been wanting a 6.5x284 but can't find what I'm looking for and stumbled on to the 6.5 SAUM 4S. Can some explain what the 4S means?

Would this be something to consider for a newbie? Mind you, I'm not set up to reload but am willing to take it on and learn. All I know is I want a 6.5.

Thanks in advance.

The 4S stands for "super secret squirrel ****" and no , I'm not kidding. I shoot the 6.5 saum which is the same thing. 6.5 4S is GAP's reamer versions. It's a great design but I'm running a much longer freebore to take advantage of my longer magazine and long 150gr and 160gr bullets. The GAP version is optimized for a standard 700 sa magazine and 140 vld bullets. I think the freebore on the GAP reamer is .81" now. Btw , if you are looking at one go ahead and get the. 296 nk as you're going to be turning the necks anyway.

The 6.5 4s is probably going to be a little more than you want to take on if you don't have a good bit of experience reloading, unless you want to pay out the wazoo for copper creek ammo. The 6.5x284 has a good deal of factory ammo available and so does the 6.5mm Creedmoor. What are you looking for in a rifle? What do you plan to do with it, target or hunt or both?

I'm looking for a hunting rifle for deer and antelope in eastern Colorado and Wyoming as well as target out to 600-800 yards for practice.

Really wanting a 6.5x284, just haven't found what I'm wanting.

Greg.

Factory brass is supposed to be here end of month for the 4s,FYI

I would have you also research the 6.5 SS (Sherman shortmag). It is important the best designed of all the 6.5s

Xtremetj,

Here is real information.

There are no other 'versions', the 6.5-4S was the developmental name for the project in the beginning. It was sort of tongue-in-cheek, a joke if you will. Since the release of loaded ammunition and brass, the name has been formalized at the 6.5 SAUM, no more no less. Some still repeat the 6.5-4s but they go back to the beginning of the process. Others will say the whole Remington name of RSAUM but the R has been dropped in all cases.

The standard reamer has a turned neck (0.2962"), the 0.081 freebore and a standard 1 degree/30 seconds throat. This allows for a mag length of 0.860" to 0.930" for the DBM.

There is a 'No-Turn' neck reamer available also.

There is a variation which allows for longer seating or more jump which has a 0.120" freebore.

Brass is due here by no later than the end of the month if not a tad sooner. This will work in the 'Turned' neck chambers eliminating the oft lamented task of turning necks. With this brass the reloading becomes just the same as loading for any other cartridge but with higher performance.

GAP has a standard hunting rifle chambered for this cartridge as well as the slightly upgrades version referred to as the Extreme Hunter. This is the rifle which George has used out to 1,100 yards for Prong Horn. The cartridge can be made available in any contour barrel and for any action which will accept the SAUM rim. There are also stocks available for lighter weight hunting rifles.

If you need more information feel free to use my contact information in my profile.

Regards.

The name 6.5 4S is everywhere including GAP's website, on some of the reamers, and on all the threads that I have seen that George has started regarding this cartridge.

For those new to the 6.5 4S cartridge, I would be careful looking for 6.5 SAUM info and thinking it will be GAP's version. There are A LOT of 6.5 SAUM versions out there especially if you are looking to buy reamers for a custom job. Even GAP has 3 or 4 versions of reamers available.

Whatever you want to call it the 6.5 saum is a great performer. I've been hearing that the 6.5 saum / 6.4 4S brass will be in stock soon since last spring. I'm not holding my breath and anyone getting into this should plan on sizing down from the parent cases and IF gap comes through with Hornady factory brass it would be nice to try. I sure hope the primer pockets are tougher than the Norma I've been using and has more case capacity too. Fitting another grain of Retumbo would be great.

Brass has been my hold up on building one. Even if remington would produce 7mm saum brass I would have been on the 6.5 4s/saum bandwagon long ago. If GA does ever get the brass I will be buying enough to get through 1 or 2 barrels. I've heard that it won't be horribly over priced, around $1.35 each.

Off topic just a tad but hoping that some light can be shed on my new to me version of the 6.5 SAUM
I picked up a gun in trade today built by the late Jerry Simison with brass and dies. The barrel is stamped 6.5 Petek 295 Neck. All the brass is 300 SAUM......Any ideas what that reamer might be all about..........Thanks..........Rick

Thanks everyone. Sounds like it would give me just what I'm looking for. A long range hunting rifle in a 6.5.

From what I'm reading, I assume it is a fairly new caliber since brass has not arrived yet?

May have to hold off on my rifle purchase and see what happens with it.

Greg.

Armored Transport,

I haven't run into this cartridge yet but I can suggest that you should cast the chamber then measure the cast and compare to the 6.5 SAUM dimensions. That's unless you have fireformed brass which came with the rifle.

predator 22,

The brass is scheduled to be here this month so there isn't any 'be prepared to do something else'.

Scot E,

The term *6.5 SAUM 4S (GAP version of the RSAUM)* and *6.5 GAP 4S (SAUM) caliber (which incorrectly uses the term caliber instead of cartridge* is attributed to the lack of upkeep by sales and the website designer's maintenance. These terms have been in place for more than 2 years when all the variations of the name were being used.

Currently the name is 6.5 SAUM (GAP) or 6.5 (GAP) SAUM in order to differentiate from all other versions. This is from George's mouth to my ears. In-house the reference is simply 6.5 SAUM.

Yes there are several versions, probably dozens by now from the sometimes overly productive wildcatting community. However at GA Precision there are 3 versions which I stated in my first post:

Standard Reamer - turned neck (0.2962"), the 0.081 freebore and a standard 1 degree/30 seconds throat. This allows for a mag length of 0.860" to 0.930" for the DBM.

No Turn Neck

Long Freebore - allows for longer seating or more jump which has a 0.120" freebore.

Should anyone be confused about which reamer to request or which reamer to order simply call and discuss this with sales. They can supply you with the print number which will get you the proper reamer from Dave Kiff.

There are a couple of other versions but they are not available to the general public and as a result are not a part of this discussion.

Daveinjax,

...and IF gap comes through with Hornady factory brass it would be nice to try.
There is no 'if' at all.

...and has more case capacity too. Fitting another grain of Retumbo would be great.
Retumbo, while a great powder, is too slow for this case. The newer version of H-1000, IMR-7977 is supposed to be the powder of choice being the Enduron formulation.

Regards.

Thanks everyone. Sounds like it would give me just what I'm looking for. A long range hunting rifle in a 6.5.

From what I'm reading, I assume it is a fairly new caliber since brass has not arrived yet?

May have to hold off on my rifle purchase and see what happens with it.

Greg.

It's been out for close to 3 years but it isn't a normal new cartridge designed by the big boys that have lots of cash to get everything setup initially. This was designed by GAP and therefore getting the factory brass squared away took some time and capital.

The great thing about running this cartridge the way it was designed is that the pressures are very low so brass life is long. I am sure guys will push it to max but most guys are just running it around 3150 fps and getting lots of reloadings.

The brass is scheduled to be here this month so there isn't any 'be prepared to do something else'

Sable tireur
Never said to "be prepared to do something else"
Herd that over a year ago about the brass. I hope it gets here this month would make everybody's life that has one easier and just in time to talk the wife into getting me some for my birthday.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.