6.5 saum 4s

I'm not sure where you heard about brass being available a year ago. They have been working on getting it that long but not it being available. There is brass out and already tested by a number of shooters. I think it is very close. Price has been set from what I've heard.

Scot E.

Sorry a little clarification. I head about it becoming available over a year ago and heard it was going to be out to the public this spring.

So... I've found one for sale.... is it worth jumping on? Remember, I'm not set up to reload. It's something I will be looking to do in the future, but I'm guessing I'm not going to find any ammo I can buy anywhere???

Holy crap.... I think I'll stick with the 6.5x284 or even the 26 Nosler for that!!!!

What's so special about their ammo?

yeah, that is why everyone is excited about factory brass being available soon! or you need to reload and be able to do some brass work.

Daveinjax,

There is no 'if' at all.

Retumbo, while a great powder, is too slow for this case. The newer version of H-1000, IMR-7977 is supposed to be the powder of choice being the Enduron formulation.

Regards.

Sable Tireur , after burning close to a pound of H1000 and a hundred 150gr Matrix testing and then moving on to Retumbo and having good success I'll be sure to take your advise and throw out all my data and Retumbo and go back to H1000. Can you tell me the exact charge of H1000 I should be using in my rifle ?

Daveinjax,

Can you tell me the exact charge of H1000 I should be using in my rifle ?

Obviously not. I apologize for touching what is apparently a raw nerve. That was not my intent.

There is a large number of shooters who are using H-1000 and the replacement IMR-7977 with great success in a variety of 6.5 SAUM rifles. I offered only in an attempt to help not ruffle your feathers. Life is too short to **** people off.

Regards.

Extremetj, It is non of my business at what 6.5 cal that you buy. Number 1 you do not reload so that is expensive setup upon itself. Ammo for the 6.5x284 and the 26 Nosler are $50 plus per box. The 6.5 creedmore ammo is half the price of either.

Retumbo, while a great powder, is too slow for this case. The newer version of H-1000, IMR-7977 is supposed to be the powder of choice being the Enduron formulation.

Regards.
Sable. This is the first I've heard of a "new" version of h-1000. When was it changed? What's new about it?Thanks.

Here is the notice which came up:

October 21st, 2014 IMR Introduces New Enduron Powders: 4166, 4451, 7977

IMR is bringing out a new series of advanced-formulation extruded powders. In 2015, IMR will introduce three (3) new Enduron powders: IMR 4166, IMR 4451, and IMR 7977. The new line of IMR Enduron powders feature small kernels for easy metering, plus a built-in copper fouling eliminator. IMR claims that Enduron powders are not sensitive to temperature changes. If this is true, these powders should prove popular, particularly IMR 4166 which seems to be in the Varget/Reloder 15 burn-rate range. With Varget so hard to find, if IMR 4166 proves accurate (and available) we might see many .308 Win shooters make the switch. IMR states that IMR 4166 is a "versatile, match grade propellant". We've been quite pleased with IMR 8208 XBR as a Varget alternative. IMR 8208 XBR is accurate, clean-burning, and offers good velocity. Perhaps the new IMR 4166 will be as good or better.
When will Enduron powders appear on dealers' shelves? Hodgdon Powder Co., distributors of Hodgdon, IMR, and Winchester powders, says that: "The new IMR Enduron™ Technology powders will be available at dealers in early 2015 in 1-pound and 8-pound containers." For more information and Enduron LOAD DATA visit imrpowder.com or check the 2015 Hodgdon Annual Manual.
IMR's press release provides these descriptions of the new Enduron propellants:
IMR 4166 is the first in the series of Enduron™ propellants. It's a perfect burn speed for cartridges like the 308 Win/7.62mm NATO, 22-250 Remington, 257 Roberts and dozens more.
IMR 4451 Another new Enduron powder that gives top performance in the venerable .30-06, 270 Winchester, and 300 Winchester Short Magnum, to name just a few. This propellant is ideally suited for many mid-range burn speed cartridges.
IMR 7977 is the slowest burn rate Enduron Technology powder. It is a true magnum cartridge propellant with outstanding performance in such cartridges as the .300 Winchester Magnum, 7mm Remington Magnum, .338 Lapua and more.

It was in another article where it states that it replaced H-1000 but IMR/Hodgdon are positioning it as a Magnum replacement powder which covers a broader range.

Regards.

Here is the notice which came up:

October 21st, 2014 IMR Introduces New Enduron Powders: 4166, 4451, 7977

IMR is bringing out a new series of advanced-formulation extruded powders. In 2015, IMR will introduce three (3) new Enduron powders: IMR 4166, IMR 4451, and IMR 7977. The new line of IMR Enduron powders feature small kernels for easy metering, plus a built-in copper fouling eliminator. IMR claims that Enduron powders are not sensitive to temperature changes. If this is true, these powders should prove popular, particularly IMR 4166 which seems to be in the Varget/Reloder 15 burn-rate range. With Varget so hard to find, if IMR 4166 proves accurate (and available) we might see many .308 Win shooters make the switch. IMR states that IMR 4166 is a "versatile, match grade propellant". We've been quite pleased with IMR 8208 XBR as a Varget alternative. IMR 8208 XBR is accurate, clean-burning, and offers good velocity. Perhaps the new IMR 4166 will be as good or better.
When will Enduron powders appear on dealers' shelves? Hodgdon Powder Co., distributors of Hodgdon, IMR, and Winchester powders, says that: "The new IMR Enduron™ Technology powders will be available at dealers in early 2015 in 1-pound and 8-pound containers." For more information and Enduron LOAD DATA visit imrpowder.com or check the 2015 Hodgdon Annual Manual.
IMR's press release provides these descriptions of the new Enduron propellants:
IMR 4166 is the first in the series of Enduron™ propellants. It's a perfect burn speed for cartridges like the 308 Win/7.62mm NATO, 22-250 Remington, 257 Roberts and dozens more.
IMR 4451 Another new Enduron powder that gives top performance in the venerable .30-06, 270 Winchester, and 300 Winchester Short Magnum, to name just a few. This propellant is ideally suited for many mid-range burn speed cartridges.
IMR 7977 is the slowest burn rate Enduron Technology powder. It is a true magnum cartridge propellant with outstanding performance in such cartridges as the .300 Winchester Magnum, 7mm Remington Magnum, .338 Lapua and more.

It was in another article where it states that it replaced H-1000 but IMR/Hodgdon are positioning it as a Magnum replacement powder which covers a broader range.

Regards.

Thanks, I misread your post. I thought that you were saying Hodgdon had changed H-1000 but kept the name. Thanks for the reply.

7977 has similar burn rates and is supposed to be temp insensitive but it is not a new H1000 or meant to replace it. It is a double based powder while H1000 is single based.

Also, the new hornady brass will be stamped GAP 6.5 4S as are the dies they are selling.

Sorry a little clarification. I head about it becoming available over a year ago and heard it was going to be out to the public this spring.

yeah, that is why everyone is excited about factory brass being available soon! or you need to reload and be able to do some brass work.

It has been over 3 1/2 years since they said factory brass is coming out soon for this cartridge.

Did anyone ever produce factory brass for this cartridge "6.5 SAUM 4S".

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.