6.5 PRC - Make143 ELD-X work

I shoot Christiansen myself in 6.5 CM 6.5prc and 300prc all with carbon fiber barrels. Too be honest I have found none of em shot the eldx bullets good enough for me. The elf-m shoot fantastic and all under .5 mos.
I found in the 6.5 's I use the swift scirocco II bullets and there tack drivers. I use rl26 and Cci 200 primers with lapua brass and adg for prc. I seat the 6.5 prc at 2.915 coal .
I was gonna go back and mess with the eld-x bullets and try retumbo but hesitate due too cost of this crap now. I really miss just shooting for fun but my hunting rounds are all set so I am saving my rl26 for em till I can find more

Instead of seating the bullet longer, lets go deeper. Start at 30k off the lands or consider your magazine length as "jam" and go 30k off of that measurement. Then go deeper finding your node. Then just do your load development as normal.
Give this a look….

When She Nodes you'll know it's deep enough😅

CA Ridgeline 6.5 PRC, 57.0 grains H1000, Fed 210M, 143ELD-X , 3000fps, superbly accurate. Seated 2.945"-48" to take advantage of the longer magazine CA designed. I shot the smallest 4 shot group of my old life with a factory rifle... 0.22" ctc @100 yards!

Attachments

• 143g prc.jpg
    143g prc.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 207
YUP,. ^^^ There, it IS ^^^ like I said,... "It can BE,.. Done" With, the Right Powder Charge and, Bullet, TUNE !
Does take, a little "work", tho !
Also, NICE Weight "retension" on, the Bullets about, 60-70 Percent, Left ( what WE saw also, under Far side Hides at, the longer, Distance's ! ).
Good job, Glenn !

Last edited:
YUP,. ^^^ There, it IS ^^^ like I said,... "It can BE,.. Done" With, the Right Powder Charge and, Bullet, TUNE !
Does take, a little "work", tho !
Also, NICE Weight "retension" on, the Bullets about, 60-70 Percent, Left ( what WE saw also, under Far side Hides at, the longer, Distance's ! ).
Good job, Glenn !
I will admit....it was painful to shoot a 50 round "break in" per CA, and another 15 to hit the node, but definitely worth the time and money in the end. I think Jim Carmichal said a long time ago, "no matter how much you love to shoulder that rifle, if you don't have a 100% confidence in that first shot you might as well sell it sooner than later". Boy was he right, given the cost of bullets, primers and powder that cost so much now, not to mention accessibility!

Yes, the barrel "Break in" can be, a Bit of, a PITA,.. But, you Only need to, do it,.. ONCE ( per Rifle ! )
Check your BC's / POI's at, several Distances,..
THEN, It's ALL about, that FIRST, "Cold Bore" shot, on Game !
And, a LOT of Practice at, Field Positions on, Steel !
Again,.. Great, "Job" !

Last edited:
Easiest way to solve that is to shoot bergers.
I chronoed a maxed compressed load of 156 Bergers Elites at roughly 3000 fps with Retumbo in a stock Mauser 18 and no pressure. When I sighted the gun in last year only the 147 H match were available but it shot .5 inch groups with H4831SC. If the Bergers shoot even close to that it is a nice elk load. No problem getting them in the mag. I will update the results as soon as I can get out to see if that loads shoots. I caught a lot of flack from the .30 cal elk crowd on here by pointing out it surpasses a book maxed velocity .300 Win with a 180 Nosler Partition in energy by 400 yards and catches up the 06 and WSM at about 300.

Curious as to guys experience with the elite hunters on elk and particularly compared to the ELDXs. I have 143 ELDXs, and 147 Hornady match on hand now too.

The 140 gr Elite Hunters, will work, Fine in, the 6.5 PRC at, 3,100 FPS + / - Velocities.
I used, the 140 gr. Classic Hunter, Berg's, in my 24", .270 WSM at, 3,185 FPS and IT punched thru, BOTH shoulder Blades ( and, a Lot of, Meat ) on my Elk at, 110-115 Yards. The Bullet's Base, was found, all "Balled up" in the Far side Hair, W/ Lungs,. Jello. Either Bullet, will be fine for, Elk at PRC Velocities, Til' it reaches, about, 2,000 FPS ( That's where, I believe that, most Bullets, QUIT Working,.. real,"Good" on, Elk / Moose ! ).
Ft. pounds of Energy, are meaningless to ME, without,.. Bullet Expansion & Penetration.
And YES, MANY Hunter's, are Pleased with, the ELD-X's, too. A Great Design, IMO.

Last edited:
My son "CA Mesa" & i "MPR" both shoot 6.5prc. Use 143 eldx. Shoot anywhere from .250" to .5" with rl-26. We coat the bullets with hbn. Very simple process, don't wipe it off, we seat at .008". Running at 3150 to 3200fps. 147s do shoot better!!