6.5 prc enough gun for elk

You'd take a 6.5 over a 300 ultra mag on elk ? Wow ! When I'm shooting elk with my 300 RUM or 300 WM I aim for shoulder. Bust shoulder blow lungs , out dead right there. Aim for little crease all you want and watch run. Broken shoulder down they go. Barnes TTSX AND Hammers do it every time. Even 215 Berger Hybrid at 3200 - 3300 will bust shoulder and explode. I've done it at 543 yds. No problemo amigo 😉
And a 6.5 would do the exact same thing (don't need to handicap it with 100% copper bullets tho)

Soooo?

These guys who are 2 or 3 year newbies on LRH that are afraid to list thier state, city, age , etc. I don't care much for. They could be from Jackson, Laramie or maybe Lander if Wyoming. Same goes for any other member from whatever state. I could care less if somebody knew my age or what town I live in. Paranoia will destroy ya . Let's be ananamous 🙄

Last edited:
You'd take a 6.5 over a 300 ultra mag on elk ? Wow ! When I'm shooting elk with my 300 RUM or 300 WM I aim for shoulder. Bust shoulder blow lungs , out dead right there. Aim for little crease all you want and watch run. Broken shoulder down they go. Barnes TTSX AND Hammers do it every time. Even 215 Berger Hybrid at 3200 - 3300 will bust shoulder and explode. I've done it at 543 yds. No problemo amigo 😉

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I've seen plenty of elk take it thru the shoulder and watch them wander around, I've not found the heralded shoulder shot to be all that effective in putting and elk down right now.

I've seen many elk hit the turf via the behind the shoulder shot. Use a hard bullet (TTSX, Hammer etc) and yeah you can see some wobble around a bit as well. However use a bullet such as the NBT, Sierra BT or HPBT, the Bergers and Scenars and you'll find a goodly share of the arm pit shot elk bouncing at the shot.

To your questioning me regarding my choice of the 6.5 PRC over the RUM's I'll say this. I won't run a brake, I won't carry a gun over 9 lbs all up (sling, rounds, scoped). And I way prefer the weight to be in the 7.5-8 lbs "all up".

You're a Wyo guy as is Memtb, Laker and I aren't that far north. Let's get together and shoot a bit and naturally Memtb's wife is welcome with her 338 as well. I'll bring a 6.5 PRC and you can bring a 8-9 lb all up 300 Ultra (no brakes) and we can do some shooting. Grill some elk burgs and or I can bring some buff burgers and we can have a good old time. Might be kind of fun eh:).

I'd love to watch old one gun Memtb and his wife run their 375 AI and 338. And they can watch Laker and I shoot our little rat guns. You can gun your Ultra.

Ideally we could find some good chuck colony's to work over and or a good riddled with rocks below us, above us and at all ranges. We can shoot some offhand, sitting and off the deck. You guys can shoot off your knee's as well, I'll pass though as after 7 knee surgeries including each replaced I don't shoot off them anymo.

Just a wild idea as a way to have some fun. I'd love to learn from you guys and your big guns.

Side note, I used a 340 Wby a ton load, one off a 700 and one a 70. Burned up both barrels and said no mas. I found zero none, nada difference in how they took down elk when compared to my 270 and 7 Mashburn Super.

All in in this is all good fun eh

(now if the Nugs would take care of the Lakers tonight...)

Load up some dummy rounds in random order the next time at the range. See how bad she flinchs

Group size is generally an indicator if the shooter is flinching. She does pretty well on the 300 yard range in our back yard!

So, I'm fairly confident that she doesn't flinch…..we'll at least not badly enough to show on the targets! memtb

Last edited:
These guys who are 2 or 3 year newbies that are afraid to list thier state, city, age , etc. I don't care much for. They could be from Jackson, Laramie or maybe Lander if Wyoming. Same goes for any other member from whatever state. I could care less if somebody knew my age or what town I live in. Paranoia will destroy ya . Let's be ananamous 🙄

Gotta ask, what on earth is this all about?

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I've seen plenty of elk take it thru the shoulder and watch them wander around, I've not found the heralded shoulder shot to be all that effective in putting and elk down right now.

I've seen many elk hit the turf via the behind the shoulder shot. Use a hard bullet (TTSX, Hammer etc) and yeah you can see some wobble around a bit as well. However use a bullet such as the NBT, Sierra BT or HPBT, the Bergers and Scenars and you'll find a goodly share of the arm pit shot elk bouncing at the shot.

To your questioning me regarding my choice of the 6.5 PRC over the RUM's I'll say this. I won't run a brake, I won't carry a gun over 9 lbs all up (sling, rounds, scoped). And I way prefer the weight to be in the 7.5-8 lbs "all up".

You're a Wyo guy as is Memtb, Laker and I aren't that far north. Let's get together and shoot a bit and naturally Memtb's wife is welcome with her 338 as well. I'll bring a 6.5 PRC and you can bring a 8-9 lb all up 300 Ultra (no brakes) and we can do some shooting. Grill some elk burgs and or I can bring some buff burgers and we can have a good old time. Might be kind of fun eh:).

I'd love to watch old one gun Memtb and his wife run their 375 AI and 338. And they can watch Laker and I shoot our little rat guns. You can gun your Ultra.

Ideally we could find some good chuck colony's to work over and or a good riddled with rocks below us, above us and at all ranges. We can shoot some offhand, sitting and off the deck. You guys can shoot off your knee's as well, I'll pass though as after 7 knee surgeries including each replaced I don't shoot off them anymo.

Just a wild idea as a way to have some fun. I'd love to learn from you guys and your big guns.

Side note, I used a 340 Wby a ton load, one off a 700 and one a 70. Burned up both barrels and said no mas. I found zero none, nada difference in how they took down elk when compared to my 270 and 7 Mashburn Super.

I think that we'd do fair at our self-imposed shot distances. However, if you will check in previous posts we don't shoot a lot of rounds per year through our hunting rifles. I would never suggest that I can sit on a Prairie Dog Town and shoot more than 30 or so rounds comfortably! In a hunting scenario, I won't shoot 20 rounds in 5 or so years!

You'll find with a bit of research…..that I said my shoulder is tender the day following an extended shooting (more than 20 to 30 rounds) session from the bench.

We have other rifles for shooting…..but, only one for hunting!

We have opposing views and likely far different types of hunting. While many of you folks see shooting game at long distances the "Holy Grail" of hunting……I'd much rather keep my shots under 50 yards! Hell….I'd like to see the game fall 50 yards from the truck! 😉 memtb

I had left knee replaced 3 months ago. Sounds like fun ! My 300 Rum is now 13.5 pounds. I rarely miss out to 600 to 700 yds. My C.A. 6.5 PRC is 9 pds. Out to 500 I do ok. My Tikka 6.5 CM. Close but good to 440 yds. My Weatherby 300 WM easy out to 500 yds. I don't shoot game out to 1000 yds. I know I can get closer to improve my odds. I'm not lazy. Everybody should be ethical. I don't have a wife to worry about. My ex wife and girlfriend were and are good spotters though.

Last edited:
I think that we'd do fair at our self-imposed shot distances. However, if you will check in previous posts we don't shoot a lot of rounds per year through our hunting rifles. I would never suggest that I can sit on a Prairie Dog Town and shoot more than 30 or so rounds comfortably! In a hunting scenario, I won't shoot 20 rounds in 5 or so years!

You'll find with a bit of research…..that I said my shoulder is tender the day following an extended shooting (more than 20 to 30 rounds) session from the bench.

We have other rifles for shooting…..but, only one for hunting!

We have opposing views and likely far different types of hunting. While many of you folks see shooting game at long distances the "Holy Grail" of hunting……I'd much rather keep my shots under 50 yards! Hell….I'd like to see the game fall 50 yards from the truck! 😉 memtb
I concur, as long as it's 50 yds above the truck....snork

These guys who are 2 or 3 year newbies on LRH that are afraid to list thier state, city, age , etc. I don't care much for. They could be from Jackson, Laramie or maybe Lander if Wyoming. Same goes for any other member from whatever state. I could care less if somebody knew my age or what town I live in. Paranoia will destroy ya . Let's be ananamous 🙄
Ok so, what was this post about?