6.5 prc enough gun for elk

I guess I'm not understanding your point here.

Are you suggesting a 6.5 PRC is a better choice for elk than the others you mentioned?
Not trying to speak for Laker but I read his post as the bullets he mentioned in the 6.5 would do more internal damage than the bullets in the bigger 30 cal's that he mentioned and I totally concur!

Personally I would take the 6.5 PRC each and every day over a 300 Ultra or any of the other 300's.

But...I have a filled and have seen a couple arks filled with elk from all sorts of rounds. I've more than the normal amount of experience. Getting a bullet into the lungs of an elk isn't tough!

The fact that this thread drones on an on with so freaking many silly responses (mostly by those with obviously so little elk killing experience) simply amazes me and shows how bored we are:)

I'm sure no one on this forum would argue about the ineffectiveness of 10 missed shots with a magnum (or any other cartridge). It's been said above that shot placement is key. Being able to hit the animal, in a vital area, is paramount!
Having a caliber that can reach the vitals on a less than perfect situation is subject to a lot of debate.

Your part about shot placement and hitting an elk in the right place being paramount shows that you get it.

Without fail I've found that over the years those that toot the whole use a big gun and shoot them from any angle and you'll be fine is a truck load of BS! Generally touted by those who want to sound like Johnny Leather Legs and or Elmer disciples!

I'll take surgical placement over hit them anywhere and you'll be fine each and every day!

One man's opine, if you can't get a good shot then do yourself and the animal a favor and show some respect and don't take the shot! I can't imagine being one who would take the bad shot, the bad angle etc and hoping that you can finish the job....that's just pee poor judgement!

While I much prefer the perfect broadside shot, preferably at under 50 yards, I will not hesitate to shoot the animal I want from a less desirable angle at a less desirable range…..provided that I'm pretty darn certain of proper bullet placement!

The above comment is one of the driving forces for my choice of cartridges and bullet! My signature line pretty well explains my stand on the subject! memtb

Your part about shot placement and hitting an elk in the right place being paramount shows that you get it.

Without fail I've found that over the years those that toot the whole use a big gun and shoot them from any angle and you'll be fine is a truck load of BS! Generally touted by those who want to sound like Johnny Leather Legs and or Elmer disciples!

I'll take surgical placement over hit them anywhere and you'll be fine each and every day!

Thank You for the Elmer disciple compliment! I'd much prefer to have more cartridge than needed, and take shots that are much closer, rather than stroke my ego by using a minimal/marginal cartridge with a quite frangible bullet…..just to be able to "thump my chest" about my superior skill set!

However my thought process, doesn't bode well with the sanctimonious attitudes of some shooters! memtb

with a quite frangible bullet…..just to be able to "thump my chest" about my superior skill set!
Not a chest thumping issue at all. I've just found a more fragile bullet puts animals on the dirt faster than a controlled expansion bullet when put in the vitals

But keep thumping your chest for the big guns and controlled expansion bullets

Not trying to speak for Laker but I read his post as the bullets he mentioned in the 6.5 would do more internal damage than the bullets in the bigger 30 cal's that he mentioned and I totally concur!

Personally I would take the 6.5 PRC each and every day over a 300 Ultra or any of the other 300's.

But...I have a filled and have seen a couple arks filled with elk from all sorts of rounds. I've more than the normal amount of experience. Getting a bullet into the lungs of an elk isn't tough!

The fact that this thread drones on an on with so freaking many silly responses (mostly by those with obviously so little elk killing experience) simply amazes me and shows how bored we are:)
I was trying to figure out if he was being serious.

I've shot a lot of animals with 6.5mm cartridges and 30 caliber cartridges and I have NEVER seen a 6.5mm projectile cause more trauma and internal damage than a 30 caliber projectile unless you are comparing say a very slow 30 cal vs a very fast 6.5mm. Also comparing a frangible bullet to a bonded bullet isn't an equal comparison either.

Also comparing a frangible bullet to a bonded bullet isn't an equal comparison either.
100% agree with this statement. But you will get guys telling you a 180 grain accubond or 200 grain accubond out of any 30 cal magnum is far better at killing elk than a fragile bullet like the Berger 140 or hornady 143 Eld out of a 6.5 when it simply isn't true from the wound cavities and elk I've seen tipped over with all those combos. Now you get into the fragile 30 cal bullet pushed at a good velocity they do have quite a bit bigger wound cavity. Though the animal dies either way.

Not a chest thumping issue at all. I've just found a more fragile bullet puts animals on the dirt faster than a controlled expansion bullet when put in the vitals

But keep thumping your chest for the big guns and controlled expansion bullets

Never had an issue with any animal failing to fall with a broadside shot, behind the shoulder! Can you say that about your "more fragile" bullet "IF" the unthinkable happens and the "surgical precision" ain't so precise. It may not even be the shooters error/fault, respect and acknowledge the old adage ……"stuff" happens"!

With the same "surgical precision" …..a larger bore cartridge is still capable of clean, efficient kills! memtb

Never had an issue with any animal failing to fall with a broadside shot, behind the shoulder! Can you say that about your "more fragile" bullet "IF" the unthinkable happens and the "surgical precision" ain't so precise. It may not even be the shooters error/fault, respect and acknowledge the old adage ……"stuff" happens"!

With the same "surgical precision" …..a larger bore cartridge is still capable of clean, efficient kills! memtb
Yes I can 100% say I've never lost an animal from a fragile bullet from a broadside shot behind the shoulder. I'd take a fragile bullet to the guts of an animal any day over a controlled expansion bullet to the guts

Last edited:

You'd take a 6.5 over a 300 ultra mag on elk ? Wow ! When I'm shooting elk with my 300 RUM or 300 WM I aim for shoulder. Bust shoulder blow lungs , out dead right there. Aim for little crease all you want and watch run. Broken shoulder down they go. Barnes TTSX AND Hammers do it every time. Even 215 Berger Hybrid at 3200 - 3300 will bust shoulder and explode. I've done it at 543 yds. No problemo amigo 😉