6.5 haters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I shoot a whole slew of 6.5mm chamberings, including the 6.5CM I started using 6.5mm chambered rifles
decades ago when I acquired a 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenaur. I quickly realized the "great" qualities of
the 6.5mm bore. The original loading in that M-S rifle was a 160 grain RN bullet at a sedate 2160 fps, but
it was very effective on game up to and including big mule deer and Black Bear. I am quite certain that if
you put one of those bullets through the lungs of a moose, he would quickly succumb.

I have shot several moose with the 6.5x55 Swede, and never had one go more than 30 feet after the shot.

The 6.5CM gets a bit of static, but it is a mild-mannered chambering that will get the job done if the shooter
does his/her part. I prefer bullets from 129 - 156 grains, with the 140 Accubond and the 130 Scirocco II being
the most popular for my hunting in this area. I do not deliberately pack it for Elk or Moose, but if I had it in my
hands when a legal one showed, I would have no problem shooting it [within reasonable range, of course].

I believe the 6.5CM is here to stay. Well supported and widely advertised and available from many different
manufacturers with the quick twist that works with the longer bullets. What is not to like? Dave.

I would respectively disagree with coyote shadow tracker that the creed is a 308 copy. It actually derived from the 30TC. That being said I don't hate any calibers per say each has their purpose and can satisfy each individual needs. Could I shoot an elk at 1000yds with my 6.5 Creedmoor? Yes. Would I? No. I have better and more capable choices. I have enjoyed the back and forth comments. If you want to make light of me for owning, hunting, and target shooting a Creedmoor go ahead. It's laid a lot of deer on the ground none making it past 20yds after being shot. I own.....owned one (just gave it to one of my granddaughters since she loved hunting with it so much that I shot 2 half moa groups with at 1000yds shooting factory Hornady 129gr sst ammo with a 4.5x14 power Boone and Crockett scope. So I'll just laugh it off and enjoy the fun.

Attachments

• 220317_095959_6.jpeg
    220317_095959_6.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 25
I would respectively disagree with coyote shadow tracker that the creed is a 308 copy. It actually derived from the 30TC. That being said I don't hate any calibers per say each has their purpose and can satisfy each individual needs. Could I shoot an elk at 1000yds with my 6.5 Creedmoor? Yes. Would I? No. I have better and more capable choices. I have enjoyed the back and forth comments. If you want to make light of me for owning, hunting, and target shooting a Creedmoor go ahead. It's laid a lot of deer on the ground none making it past 20yds after being shot. I own.....owned one (just gave it to one of my granddaughters since she loved hunting with it so much that I shot 2 half moa groups with at 1000yds shooting factory Hornady 129gr sst ammo with a 4.5x14 power Boone and Crockett scope. So I'll just laugh it off and enjoy the fun.

A great decision…..a great "starter rifle" for young people! 😉

Sorry, I couldn't stop myself! Self-restraint…..a virtue I've yet to develop! 😉 memtb

I am not sure I would say 6.5 haters as much as I would Creedmoor haters. The 6.5 has always been a wonderful bullet. Read so many articles about the 6.5 before the Creedmoor ever arrived on the seen. I would say the reason for the hate is the Creedmoor showed up and all of a sudden this is the cartridge to end all cartridges. People claimed ridiculous capabilities when the Creedmoor doesn't produce anything better than the Swede the 260 Rem, 264 win mag or the 6.5/06 A square that was already available to the public. This isn.t to mention the wildcats that were available. Shooters just got tired of new shooters picking up the cartridge running to the range and field and claiming that it was this super cartridge that equals what is out there already.
Exactly! Needmore is so good, Hornady replaced it with the 6.5 PRC 7 months later.
Marketing, for horning in on market shares is all it is.
.260 Remington is superior in every way, as is 6.5x55 Swede.

I don't hate any caliber either. I personally only have one 308 copy in my safe and it is 7-08 belongs to my son in the who is in the Navy right now. I have shot one 6.5 creed a Bergera a friend bought. Nice shooting little gun. I just find it funny how some of the younger crowd jump in on shooting at a local public range close to me and brag about shooting a creed and listening to their bs as they brag to each other about how it kills anything from squirrels to enemy aircraft.

Specifically, the 6.5 Creedmoor has a spot in hunting, target shooting. Knowing well any chambering, bullet performance and its limitations is key.
I'd buy one for the entry level newb and work with them to be successful for years. But there are truly long range hunting choices superior to the 6.5CM or my 7RM, someone's 30 cal. A lot to consider. I've got enough gun for my limitations, but the vast majority of purchasers have no idea come hunting day.

Status
Not open for further replies.