6.5-06 vs 6.5-284

old post, I know!

Quote: "First, I'm not convinced you can't chamber a 6.5 - 284 in a short action. I think if you modified the throat slightly you could do it and use the long bullets or get a modified mag box."

I have had two 6/284s and two 25/284s on a Rem short action, I will never put this case on a short action again.

6.5/06 is dumb butt simple to tune with 130's R#22, tiny bug hole groups opening up a single bullet hole, 3150 fps. 127g Barnes long-range shoots 3/8-1/2" groups with a .050 jump. I have had zero troubles. with brass. Be aware that Lapua & Norma brass is thicker in the web than Winchester. I you want to shoot Lapua brass in a custom chamber, you will probably have to have a reamer made with 0.0035 over the web dimension of the Lapua brass in order to not get premature extraction issues.

My reamer is ground to where the 130 class bullet shank/boat tail is above the shoulder neck junction of the Winchester case, and the top of the boat tail is .020 above the shoulder/neck junction on a 140 Berger VLD hunting bullet.

A simple check for doughnuts is to simply insert your bullet in the fired case neck, if the bullet goes down past the shoulder neck junction, you have no doughnut.

The 6.5/284 is a great case, but should always be put on a long action so you can maintain the bullet jump from the lands that the particular bullet likes. Otherwise, you are STUCK with declining accuracy as the bullet jump grows from throat wear.

Top quality barrel replacements are running $900 inc shipping plus the wait, so get the most for your buck spent.

Last edited: