6.5 Creedmor- the Holy Grail?

I worked with a game warden who used a 130 partion in his 270 as his heavy gun and a 220 swift was the only thing I ever saw him shoot stuff with. He did bear control in Alaska for 15 years about 400 coastal brown bears would agree the 270 shouldn't be used for that because they were dead with 1 shot ea. Being a professional and not scoring them he head shot his game and they died. Watched him more than a few times shoot moose with his swift. He'd get out and I'd be in the back if his truck with the ropes and winch. Learned quite alot from him.
All this hatred and bull stuff over an accurate and pleasant to shoot cartridge you can buy ammo for that is competitive at national level prs matchs. Way too funny.
Wait till the prc brass from lake city hits the streets. That will put the haters into overdrive

Saying the 6.5 CM is grizz medicine is really pushing it. Not saying that under the right conditions it wouldn't kill a grizzly. How ever I would not want to be the guy sqeezing the trigger.
My belief is that really there is no such thing as over kill. A lot of people will say a 338 anything is too much for a whitetail and will destroy the deer. Not true a heavy 338 bullet will likely do far less damage then a small caliber speed demon bullet will. So again I will say yes the creed will kill an elk but there are much better cartridges to use. Along with that a poor shot from any size cartridge will have less then perfect results.

My 2 Cents.

A. I'd much rather a hunter hit what their aiming at without flinching.
B. I'd much rather a hunter be able to cheat the wind (majority can't make decent wind calls on their first shot)
C. Minimum 1200 ft/lbs and 1800 fps to take an ethical shot on Elk.
D. Average Joe doesn't reload.
E. I don't choose cartridges that can't be loaded at 3.4" OAL or less (max Tikka Long Action).

I calculated the below table, and I prefer the 6.5 Creedmoor based upon recoil (and no, I'm not recoil sensitive. I just like to see where a bullet hits). I'd choose the 284 Win if brass and/or ammo were more available.

Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 8.38.11 PM.png

Yes. I was generalizing the area. Probability right about the gut shot on the first one. I'm guessing the bull was quartered slightly and shooting past the shoulder and hitting him the hip, hindquarter area. Also glad the guy kept throwing lead at him.
I thought that at first too but when I watched it a 2nd/3rd time I realized the bull was almost perfectly broadside to the shooter.

I think when he realized just how high that bull would score he just lost it mentally and started flinging lead fearing the bull would just walk off without him getting a shot in.

If you listen to the discussion afterwards the guy had no idea how many shots he'd even fired which is a pretty good indication he was in panic mode.

Obviously he was not "undergunned" as the one decent shot he put on the bull killed him pretty well instantly.

He would have been shooting a .416 Rigby or 458wm and those same bad shots would have had the same result.

Displacement has it's benefits but I'll take shot placement with a quality bullet over displacement anytime. A hundred years of history shows the 6.5's having more than adequate displacement and energy to kill even the largest of game when loaded with the proper bullet and that bullet is put where it belongs with enough energy to get the job done.

None of my 6.5's would be my first choice for a dedicated elk rifle but I wouldn't hesitate to use one of them if the right bull showed up and that's all I had.

Match the bullet, rifle, load, and shot placement to the game being sought. Then apply an ample dose of common sense before pulling the trigger and you'll probably come out successful every time.

Golly Gosh.... From what I've read there have been more Moose killed in the US with a 30-30 than any other cartridge. So does that prove that it's an adequate cartridge for moose? Not at all. It was what hunters had and therefore what they used and that was most likely when most moose were shot at halitosis range in thick cover.

This goes hand and hand with the argument that just because Europeans have been shooting moose with a 6.5 for umpteen years that it's a good elk cartridge.

... ..
If a well placed shot under normal hunting conditions produces a clean kill then yes, it's adequate.

Save the ethical preaching for other forums where it doesn't violate the rules.

My 2 Cents.

A. I'd much rather a hunter hit what their aiming at without flinching.
B. I'd much rather a hunter be able to cheat the wind (majority can't make decent wind calls on their first shot)
C. Minimum 1200 ft/lbs and 1800 fps to take an ethical shot on Elk.
D. Average Joe doesn't reload.
E. I don't choose cartridges that can't be loaded at 3.4" OAL or less (max Tikka Long Action).

I calculated the below table, and I prefer the 6.5 Creedmoor based upon recoil (and no, I'm not recoil sensitive. I just like to see where a bullet hits). I'd choose the 284 Win if brass and/or ammo were more available.

View attachment 114693
Yeah no offense but that table is skewed as hell. Throw some LR bullets in the magnums and try again. And 155 in 308 really? This isn't Palma and I'm sure you didn't start it at 3k

I've tried to tell them, just because Native Americans used pointed sticks for 1,000 years on moose, elk, and bear dose not mean you'or best chance for elk is a pointed stick.
Your best chance for success is whatever rifle you have the most competence and confidence in with a bullet that'll get the job done if you do.

As others have mentioned simply don't exceed your abilities or that of your equipment and ammo and you'll likely have a positive outcome.

If you have Facebook, find "Cousins Outdoors". Those two hunt everything up to and including moose up here in Canada and they exclusively use 143 ELDX in their 6.5 Creedmoor and 260 Remington rifles.

I also believe they have their own show on Wild TV.
When I said black bear I was meaning stuff that can eat you. I'm sure it would work on moose and elk inside 350 with appropriate bullets.

400 yard+ performance and this ammo is loaded in 6mm and 6.5 bores when those cartridges don't really carry the amount of energy generally regarded as enough at those ranges. Go to the product page and watch the video. It also lists the 6.5 creed as adequate for elk on the same page it touts the bullets as being 400+ capable. We've covered due diligence but if you didn't know better it looks like they are billing 6.5 creed precision hunter ammo as 400 yard + elk medicine

Wow, that's your "Hornady is telling people to go kill stuff at extreme range" argument? C'mon man, that's disappointing. I'm not telling you to like Hornady, but why embellish your claims and spread all the hate?

Plus, 400 yards with that 143gr ELD-X still has over 1400 ft lbs and a velocity over 2,000 fps. I wouldn't think twice about shooting an elk with that. I could care less about a minimum ft lbs argument since it doesn't take into consideration what the bullet does or how it works.

You do what you want. I dont care. But bashing a company for something it didn't do is lame.

Wow, that's your "Hornady is telling people to go kill stuff at extreme range" argument? C'mon man, that's disappointing. I'm not telling you to like Hornady, but why embellish your claims and spread all the hate?

Plus, 400 yards with that 143gr ELD-X still has over 1400 ft lbs and a velocity over 2,000 fps. I wouldn't think twice about shooting an elk with that. I could care less about a minimum ft lbs argument since it doesn't take into consideration what the bullet does or how it works.

You do what you want. I dont care. But bashing a company for something it didn't do is lame.
Ok guy