6.5 Creedmor- the Holy Grail?

I've seen a lot of bad shots and made some of my own, it happens. I should watch more of his videos but so far ive seen 3.

1.Huge elk, shoots it 4 times, 3 in the guts one in the shoulder
2. Antelope@675 absolutely drills the wrong animal and blames spotter for it
3. Mule deer@ unknown distance puts it right under the spine and it drops like a rock... while shooter celebrates the spotter repeatedly screams that the buck got up. Buck just stands there broadside for like 5 seconds while spotter screams at the shooter to get back on the gun. Buck casually muley hops off down the next ridge. Spotter walks over and explains that the buck ran off to shooter who is baffled. They chase it like a mile and shot it up the rear to finish it.
Too much adrenaline and testosterone, not enough good instruction and mentoring when he was young.

Hopefully before too long someone will educate him.

I like to trash Hornady because they are trying to tell people that you can buy a rifle and ammo off the shelf and now you're able to harvest big game at extreme range. As far as BC's changing and twist rates being updated that's just the nature of the beast. G1 BC varies a lot with velocity and where in a magnum you might get away with a slower twist it will destabilize in s slower cartridge.
Hornady is dong no such things. You're into the realm of slander here and putting Len in a bad position by doing so.

Hornady is dong no such things. You're into the realm of slander here and putting Len in a bad position by doing so.
I mean you seem pretty knowledgeable and rationale. Could you not see how someone new to the game could see 400+ and appropriate for elk on an ammo box and think that's exactly what it means? I've had loads of people come in the store where I work deciding between 6.5 creed and 338 Lapua for a mile rig. This is not a joke and that part IS NOT hornady's fault but the hype has gotten out of hand.

I think the guy in the vid was seated with his bipod on a big rock. Probably not the most steady platform for a 300 yard shot at a trophy bull. Because of this and his excitement. Probably too much scope zoom too. I don't think he could spot his hits.
Good that last one hit home. He probably just had one more round.
Probably a good lesson for us all to do more field practice.

My 2 Cents.

A. I'd much rather a hunter hit what their aiming at without flinching.
B. I'd much rather a hunter be able to cheat the wind (majority can't make decent wind calls on their first shot)
C. Minimum 1200 ft/lbs and 1800 fps to take an ethical shot on Elk.
D. Average Joe doesn't reload.
E. I don't choose cartridges that can't be loaded at 3.4" OAL or less (max Tikka Long Action).

I calculated the below table, and I prefer the 6.5 Creedmoor based upon recoil (and no, I'm not recoil sensitive. I just like to see where a bullet hits). I'd choose the 284 Win if brass and/or ammo were more available.

View attachment 114693
What happens if you run the same bullet in the 7 saum as the 284 win?

Jeeezzzzzz! 27 pages on a thread opened last Monday!

Obviously I have not read all the pages, but knowing your quarry and your rifle choice makes a huge difference in the out come.

My wife and I hunt together (she is afraid something will get her if she is alone). But I carry two rifles just incase we need extra HP on a shot. Lately I've been wanting to put my new 6.5 Grendel to use. But we are carrying her 6.5 Creedmoor incase the giant boar hog i want her to take comes in.

We hunt Whitetail country, so the Creedmoor is plenty for bigger hogs and mature bucks. The Grendel will be used on eating size pigs, doe and cull bucks.

Even though I have a bunch of different 6.5's, one of the .30 rifles would come out to play if we were to take on some of the more hardy critters in North America!
Put the right bullet where it belongs at a reasonable range and there's not a hog on earth you can't kill with the Grendel. I've killed them out to 300yds with the .204 Ruger with both frontal and side head shots.

My 2 Cents.

A. I'd much rather a hunter hit what their aiming at without flinching.
B. I'd much rather a hunter be able to cheat the wind (majority can't make decent wind calls on their first shot)
C. Minimum 1200 ft/lbs and 1800 fps to take an ethical shot on Elk.
D. Average Joe doesn't reload.
E. I don't choose cartridges that can't be loaded at 3.4" OAL or less (max Tikka Long Action).

I calculated the below table, and I prefer the 6.5 Creedmoor based upon recoil (and no, I'm not recoil sensitive. I just like to see where a bullet hits). I'd choose the 284 Win if brass and/or ammo were more available.

View attachment 114693
Pretty sure if you put a 140 gr bullet in the 7-08 of a similar profile, it will beat the 6.5 CM by a bit all the way down the line.

I don't know where to begin. For starters, use a 168gr Berger in the 7mm stuff and run those numbers again.

It's almost as bad a Hornady comparing the Creed to the Win mag...different bullets make a big difference...and no way in hell the Creed can compare to any of the saum's or wsm's you have listed.

By using your chart, a 6.5 saum shooting the same bullet as the Creedmoor 300fps faster would spank everything else on your chart with ease...

Uhhh, a 140 in a 6.5 will out BC by quite a little a 140 7mm, you have to push the 7mm 140 much harder to see the short term advantage.

Yeah no offense but that table is skewed as hell. Throw some LR bullets in the magnums and try again. And 155 in 308 really? This isn't Palma and I'm sure you didn't start it at 3k

Skewed yes, but I'm the one who set the peramiters, which were skewed toward recoil. However, if it is Data you seek, Data you shall have.

Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 9.12.22 PM.png

Skewed yes, but I'm the one who set the peramiters, which were skewed toward recoil. However, if it is Data you seek, Data you shall have.

View attachment 114694
This isn't any acceptable form of data. No velocity and no BC. I'd wager the 142 SMK is what's in the 6.5 probably humming along over book max and the 200 gr bullet in 300 WSM is probably a nosler partition for all we know. I'll help you out