6.5 Creedmor- the Holy Grail?

Not only online but in the real world as well it seems success will receive negativity in some form. Ever notice people that are happy with something don't run their mouth in the same way as the haters? Unless you have real world experience with something I feel you should keep your mouth shut and your opinion to yourself. Hammer Bullets have work very well for me in the one and only rifle I've tried them in. My 280AI with a 143 hammer killed 2 elk this year, a cow 75 yards and a bull at 325. After my experience with them I'm gunn a try them in my 6.5 CM! A round my wife and I have each killed an elk with using a 140 berger vld. I kill an elk every year and am involved with 3-4 friends that shoot one plus I guide elk hunts, usually 10-15 hunters a year. We killed 10 bulls and 4 cows this year.

I'm sure this will fire up a lot of you guys but I mean not to do that. There are a handful of guides that I know and more I have heard this from but the 7mm magnum is one of the cartridges that is frowned upon when clients show up with one to hunt elk. Why, never has been explained to me. Only guess is bullet selection, Guys buy box ammo off the shelf and go elk hunting and don't pay attention to what bullet is loaded in that case and have had performance on game. It's a 7mm mag why wouldn't it kill an elk, that's all they know. Whereas hunters and handloaders make sure their bullet selection will perform with the cartridge. Nearly all my guys showed up this year with a 7mm mag! Guess what, we had zero issues. All the bulls were shot and killed in a reasonable manner. 1-2 shots all with factory box ammo, Average of 300 yards.

I have had 3 rifles in 6.5 creedmoor since 2008, it's a great round. I shot my elk with it to see how it would go. My wife shot hers with the same rifle because it was her first elk and I knew how **** accurate that rifle was so I trusted it. Both elk are dead and have been eaten so nobody can argue that! Is it ideal for elk, probably not but a lot of guys say neither is a 7mm mag.

So before you bash a hornady creation cause the brass sucks or a hammer bullet cause it has a lower bc than you like how bout you try it out and see for yourself

I don't really feel like I am trashing their hammer bullets... i guess if the owners opinions and crazy ballistic tables are one and the same as his bullets then whatever. I shared my experience with his bullets - they weren't my cup of tea, glad you like them. More power too you.

Guys get called out on this site all the time for skewing ballistic tables in their favor. RockyMntMt get's a pass? Why? If you are going post stupid stuff on a public forum, you are bound to get called out on it.

There are alot of business owners on this site that do an awesome job representing themselves and their companies with what they say and how they act. The hammer guy just isn't one of them. It's my opinion, and I am entitled to it.

Hell, now that I now its ok to shoot an elk with a 6mm bullet as long as its a hammer I might have to throw some in my 243 and go to town - just to collect the data tho.

Let's keep it real guys - If you say stupid stuff or you are inconsistent with your view points you are going to get called out on it. Apparently I didn't get the memo that some people like the hammer guy get free passes. Somebody forward that on to me.

There are a lot if smart guys with a ton of experience on this site. Ask mojomike - the guy started a thread about how he rolled an antelope on the run at 400 yards and got lit the hell up. Poor guy had to change his username. Some experiences are better left for around the campfire and Sometimes its better not to hit the post button (i would tell my boy Trump the same thing).

But if you are man enough to hit post you need to be man enough to take whatever comes your way.

Even the OP here, who I still think is a genius facilitator, got some heat for posting an anti creed thread.

This site would be pretty boring if we all agreed on everything.

Everyone knows the holly grail is the 6.45 Evermore. Shooting uranium tippedbullets that don't melt till over 5000fps. It has been known to take gerbils and T Rex up to two miles. The T Rex was DRT but one gerbil was lost due to poor blood trail:):) Have a great holiday season and be safe

I like to trash Hornady because they are trying to tell people that you can buy a rifle and ammo off the shelf and now you're able to harvest big game at extreme range. As far as BC's changing and twist rates being updated that's just the nature of the beast. G1 BC varies a lot with velocity and where in a magnum you might get away with a slower twist it will destabilize in s slower cartridge.

Still on that kick Rusty? Where is Hornady saying this? Because they advertise a bullet or ammo product that they do say "works at conventional or extended range" you translate that as "go kill stuff at extreme range"? Where are these ads?

Those heavy for caliber high bc 6.5 bullets seem to retain a lot of energy down range. The 160gr matrix has like a 0.74 bc doesn't it? I would think at any decent velocity those will perform better or just as well as any 7mm or 308 caliber bullet as far retained energy at long ranges.

?
What calculations are you using.
No way will a 6.5 compete with a 7mm at long range.
You set up on the most perfect ridge,the wind is in your face. Your glassing and boom, there he is. You didn't even have to bugle. You range him,,,,, dang 1500 yards. You look over at me and hear the repeat of Maggy. She is my 7mm, my baby. And I still have about 250 yards left in her on a cold day. So call me when you get ready to go hunting with your 6.5, I'll pick up your slack.

?
You set up on the most perfect ridge,the wind is in your face. Your glassing and boom, there he is. You didn't even have to bugle. You range him,,,,, dang 1500 yards. You look over at me and hear the repeat of Maggy. She is my 7mm, my baby. And I still have about 250 yards left in her on a cold day. So call me when you get ready to go hunting with your 6.5, I'll pick up your slack.
That's funny as hell. I don't even hunt much with a 6.5 caliber. I also like the 7mm Rem mag tho, kudos to you for being confident enough to pull the trigger at 1500 yards. I am not there yet.

Jeeezzzzzz! 27 pages on a thread opened last Monday!

Obviously I have not read all the pages, but knowing your quarry and your rifle choice makes a huge difference in the out come.

My wife and I hunt together (she is afraid something will get her if she is alone). But I carry two rifles just incase we need extra HP on a shot. Lately I've been wanting to put my new 6.5 Grendel to use. But we are carrying her 6.5 Creedmoor incase the giant boar hog i want her to take comes in.

We hunt Whitetail country, so the Creedmoor is plenty for bigger hogs and mature bucks. The Grendel will be used on eating size pigs, doe and cull bucks.

Even though I have a bunch of different 6.5's, one of the .30 rifles would come out to play if we were to take on some of the more hardy critters in North America!

I googled it and found two reviews on longrangeonly by different guys using different hammer bullets. I skimmed them, but one had to lower the bullets advertised bc and the other had to raise the bullets bc to make hits.

I'm not sure why the online community loves to trash certain companies so much?
From hammer bullets to hornady they get smashed, yet if you want to be fair, nosler published the craziest bc on the lr accubond and have since corrected them, my point is so what? Berger keeps changing their twist rate recommendations, it's not as cut and dried as everyone would like to think and a competitive market place. I've been on hammers site, some are listed as calculated from drops, others are guessed at I guess.
Not guessed, mathematically calculated. We have seen bc of the same bullet from the same cartridge running the same vel from two different rifles on the same range session need two entirely different bc's. Our only goal is to get them as close as we can so guys can get on target and make their own adjustments for a good solution. Quite frankly our current line of bullets are hunting bullets and the bc value is not a priority. Our priority is accuracy and terminal performance. We will not sacrifice either of these in order to make a higher bc bullet. Period.

Yeah, Nosler had to do the same thing with their ABLRs. I don't have a problem with hammer bullets. People can shoot and buy what they want. Hammers aren't my cup of tea, I had two buddies that bought them and I helped with load development. The bcs they were claiming were off for us. He has made some stupid statements with no validity. He is just trying to make his bullets seem as magic as hornady did with the creedmoor.
I know you are a numbers guy, you said so. Which bullets? What were the atmospherics, vel and the actual needed corrections at what ranges? If you actually want to contribute to the cause then do it. So far all you have done is run your mouth with no evidence. If you have real data we will make corrections. We want as much accuracy as possible. So far you have a lot of opinion with nothing to back it up. Do you have any credentials? Engineer, physicist, ballistician, metallurgist? Have you done anything to advance the sport?

I now expect another personal attack with no merit.

I know you are a numbers guy, you said so. Which bullets? What were the atmospherics, vel and the actual needed corrections at what ranges? If you actually want to contribute to the cause then do it. So far all you have done is run your mouth with no evidence. If you have real data we will make corrections. We want as much accuracy as possible. So far you have a lot of opinion with nothing to back it up. Do you have any credentials? Engineer, physicist, ballistician, metallurgist? Have you done anything to advance the sport?

I now expect another personal attack with no merit.
None from me

?
What he was comparing was my 6.5AI shooting Matrix 160's to 7RM 168's.....he's close. I only lose 300ft# to the 168 @ 500yds. Bullet drop is less than an inch difference.
I'm using Lintz's ballistic calculator on my cellphone where I've got both my 6.5AI and 7 data stored. I hand load (have to for the AI) and load for both, so I've lots of data.
And, it's a 6.5-06AI, not a CM so not even a close comparison....and it's also the limit of my 6.5 for now. As long as I can keep velocity up to stabilize the bullet....I can shoot heavy's (as far as 6.5 go) and this is where the comparison ends to the 7RM. Beyond that the 7RM has the upper.