6.5 Creedmor- the Holy Grail?

If I'm so stupid... Then why am I able to see past the charade? I'm not the one running around wearing rose-colored glasses...

As for compared to a 6.5x47 Lapua or a .260 Remington? You handload, right? Doesn't that sort of null-out your argument about factory ammo? Actually, nobody said anything about factory ammo, so why is that even being brought up? That is LITERALLY the only argument the 6.5CM supporters have left at this point, other than the shorter OAL. The rest has been completely disproven. If you handload, you should be able to put whatever bullets and powder you want into any case, and for a lot cheaper than ANY factory ammo of any type or cartridge, right? Therefore, if you handload, and you don't fly to your hunting location, the factory ammo argument is out the window.

If people want to shoot it, go for it...More power to them. But use it within its means, and within your skills. If you can't get within a close enough distance to properly place your shot with enough energy to kill your game, don't pull the trigger! It's that simple. But when hunters are under-gunned, and/or over-distance for their skills, and they're losing or wounding animals, that is unethical hunting! Not to mention that it makes us all look bad to the non-hunters, the Fudds, and the anti-gunners! It just gives them more ammo to use against us and our sport.

I was saying if you try to shoot an elk with a 6.5 and expect good results you are stupid.... I know you would not.

I'm saying nobody is saying that a creedmore can take an elephant at 1200yds. Yes there's some marketing hype on ballistic comparisons, that's kind of how it works...... duh. But they aren't saying go shoot a freaking elk at 500yds. If you choose do so, it's not because hornady marketed it as a big game cartridge.

A lot of the issues we see with poor shooting and poor game care I'll put on the shoulder of a previous generation for not leading, instead we see a lot of old guys so stuck in their ways they can see past a 6.5 Creedmore and a flat brim hat, which drives me nuts too but has zero relevance to the person they are!

The video a couple pages back is a perfect example, if I would have done that the first shot someone would have roll that bull before I had another round in the chamber and it would not have been war whopes of excitement over it, likely there would have been very little said because someone having to put a real shot on my bull would have been a statement enough.
There is a whole generation of new hunters, many are out hunting because they love being out there and they take it as an extreme physical challenge and they relish hard terrain and big game. Many did not grow up hunting, these are the exact kids many have abandoned, anymore the only groups you'll see passing on information and how to hunt are the pickup load of troll fence sitter that are just waiting to lob a round into a herd.
This gerneration of YouTube hunters really have been abandoned to the teams of marketing professionals by an other generation, everyone will bite on some marketing but they will put a whole lot more stock in an old guy who can kick their butts in the mountain with wisdom and years of game trail maps in your heads than they will slick marketing!!
If you act like out buddy Randy the "real gunsmith" this generation will see you for your BS and turn you off before you clear the first sentence!!

Last edited:
Feenix there is no denying he got a great elk. The problem is that he seems to believe all of his shots were perfectly placed. It would have been nice if he stsated that only his last shot hit where he wanted it too. There is likely a lot of jealousy felt by us as that is a very nice elk.

I was saying if you try to shoot an elk with a 6.5 and expect good results you are stupid.... I know you would not.
I shoot a 6.5 and expect spectacular results, my dad, my brothers, my daughter, 6.5's have zero issue with killing a ton of elk. I'd say if you CAN NOT cleanly take an elk with no issues with a 6.5 it's a personal deficit!
This season the guys and their kids I know killed 9 elk, half mature bulls the other half mature cows, all dead on the first shot. The number of large mule deer piled up is extensive as well, most all of these with the 6.5 Creedmore.
With larger 6.5's like the Sherman I have zero issues killing elk out at 800 yards, no issues using one bullet to fill each tag year after year.

Feenix there is no denying he got a great elk. The problem is that he seems to believe all of his shots were perfectly placed. It would have been nice if he stsated that only his last shot hit where he wanted it too. There is likely a lot of jealousy felt by us as that is a very nice elk.

I am in no position to make judgment or speculation for his vantage point but you can directly address it in his YouTube post or site. It's best to go directly to the source, perhaps he'll respond to your concern.

I've seen a lot of bad shots and made some of my own, it happens. I should watch more of his videos but so far ive seen 3.

1.Huge elk, shoots it 4 times, 3 in the guts one in the shoulder
2. Antelope@675 absolutely drills the wrong animal and blames spotter for it
3. Mule deer@ unknown distance puts it right under the spine and it drops like a rock... while shooter celebrates the spotter repeatedly screams that the buck got up. Buck just stands there broadside for like 5 seconds while spotter screams at the shooter to get back on the gun. Buck casually muley hops off down the next ridge. Spotter walks over and explains that the buck ran off to shooter who is baffled. They chase it like a mile and shot it up the rear to finish it.

I've seen a lot of bad shots and made some of my own, it happens. I should watch more of his videos but so far ive seen 3.

1.Huge elk, shoots it 4 times, 3 in the guts one in the shoulder
2. Antelope@675 absolutely drills the wrong animal and blames spotter for it
3. Mule deer@ unknown distance puts it right under the spine and it drops like a rock... while shooter celebrates the spotter repeatedly screams that the buck got up. Buck just stands there broadside for like 5 seconds while spotter screams at the shooter to get back on the gun. Buck casually muley hops off down the next ridge. Spotter walks over and explains that the buck ran off to shooter who is baffled. They chase it like a mile and shot it up the rear to finish it.
I've watched that video 3 times....I noticed the Hornady logo pop-up several times. Are they marketing/bragging on that crap??

It's not the 6.5 that should be the holly grail,,, its the nut behind the trigger that makes it happen.

Most of us can probilibly tag a critter off hand at 20 to 60 feet,,, some can pull off the sight in free hand out to 70 to 200+ yards.

When distance becomes a factor, all bullets need directing,,, from a pellet gun to land canons.

The grail is the pumpkin that makes it happen. LOL

Treading the needle through the hay stack is challanging when distance and winds pick up.
Stack in the low light conditions on top of heat mirages,,, then things get Intresting fore sure

A lot of the issues we see with poor shooting and poor game care I'll put on the shoulder of a previous generation for not leading, instead we see a lot of old guys so stuck in their ways they can see past a 6.5 Creedmore and a flat brim hat, which drives me nuts too but has zero relevance to the person they are!

The video a couple pages back is a perfect example, if I would have done that the first shot someone would have roll that bull before I had another round in the chamber and it would not have been war whopes of excitement over it, likely there would have been very little said because someone having to put a real shot on my bull would have been a statement enough.
There is a whole generation of new hunters, many are out hunting because they love being out there and they take it as an extreme physical challenge and they relish hard terrain and big game. Many did not grow up hunting, these are the exact kids many have abandoned, anymore the only groups you'll see passing on information and how to hunt are the pickup load of troll fence sitter that are just waiting to lob a round into a herd.
This gerneration of YouTube hunters really have been abandoned to the teams of marketing professionals by an other generation, everyone will bite on some marketing but they will put a whole lot more stock in an old guy who can kick their butts in the mountain with wisdom and years of game trail maps in your heads than they will slick marketing!!
If you act like out buddy Randy the "real gunsmith" this generation will see you for your BS and turn you off before you clear the first sentence!!

I'm an OLD guy but I agree with you somewhat. I'm happy also to see a younger generation out there hunting and deciding what's right for them. I've met some great young folks lately and it's made me feel more secure with this generation of hunters. Older folks my age often get set in their ways and thoughts sometimes for good reason and sometimes not. I really like the efficiency of the 6.5 C and its good to see it's become more popular.

Give some examples of your claims.
I googled it and found two reviews on longrangeonly by different guys using different hammer bullets. I skimmed them, but one had to lower the bullets advertised bc and the other had to raise the bullets bc to make hits.

Eye roll. The only thing I attacked about your company was the weak ballistic Coefficients - that is a fact. Also a fact is that they are worse than you publish - you should google that sometime and read reviews.

Anybody who goes back and reads your posts on these different threads will see you are all over the place, inconsistent with your views, and lacking credibility. I love how you skew your table with low velocity in the creed while being pretty generous with your own handloads. there was an earlier post with handloaders getting over 3000 fps with RL26. Run the table with that velocity and then check your numbers.

Here is the link to the thread:

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/reloader-26-in-6-5-creedmoor.191114/page-18

Ballistic Coefficients are over rated, there is no replacement for displacement, but an 88gr 6mm bullet is adequate for elk (as long as its one of our hammer bullets). Keep posting and sharing those view points - you look like you know what you are talking about.
I'm not sure why the online community loves to trash certain companies so much?
From hammer bullets to hornady they get smashed, yet if you want to be fair, nosler published the craziest bc on the lr accubond and have since corrected them, my point is so what? Berger keeps changing their twist rate recommendations, it's not as cut and dried as everyone would like to think and a competitive market place. I've been on hammers site, some are listed as calculated from drops, others are guessed at I guess.

I googled it and found two reviews on longrangeonly by different guys using different hammer bullets. I skimmed them, but one had to lower the bullets advertised bc and the other had to raise the bullets bc to make hits.

From hammer bullets to hornady they get smashed, yet if you want to be fair, nosler published the craziest bc on the lr accubond and have since corrected them, my point is so what? Berger keeps changing their twist rate recommendations, it's not as cut and dried as everyone would like to think and a competitive market place. I've been on hammers site, some are listed as calculated from drops, others are guessed at I guess.
I like to trash Hornady because they are trying to tell people that you can buy a rifle and ammo off the shelf and now you're able to harvest big game at extreme range. As far as BC's changing and twist rates being updated that's just the nature of the beast. G1 BC varies a lot with velocity and where in a magnum you might get away with a slower twist it will destabilize in s slower cartridge.

Yeah, Nosler had to do the same thing with their ABLRs. I don't have a problem with hammer bullets. People can shoot and buy what they want. Hammers aren't my cup of tea, I had two buddies that bought them and I helped with load development. The bcs they were claiming were off for us. He has made some stupid statements with no validity. He is just trying to make his bullets seem as magic as hornady did with the creedmoor.

Last edited:

Not only online but in the real world as well it seems success will receive negativity in some form. Ever notice people that are happy with something don't run their mouth in the same way as the haters? Unless you have real world experience with something I feel you should keep your mouth shut and your opinion to yourself. Hammer Bullets have work very well for me in the one and only rifle I've tried them in. My 280AI with a 143 hammer killed 2 elk this year, a cow 75 yards and a bull at 325. After my experience with them I'm gunn a try them in my 6.5 CM! A round my wife and I have each killed an elk with using a 140 berger vld. I kill an elk every year and am involved with 3-4 friends that shoot one plus I guide elk hunts, usually 10-15 hunters a year. We killed 10 bulls and 4 cows this year.

I'm sure this will fire up a lot of you guys but I mean not to do that. There are a handful of guides that I know and more I have heard this from but the 7mm magnum is one of the cartridges that is frowned upon when clients show up with one to hunt elk. Why, never has been explained to me. Only guess is bullet selection, Guys buy box ammo off the shelf and go elk hunting and don't pay attention to what bullet is loaded in that case and have had performance on game. It's a 7mm mag why wouldn't it kill an elk, that's all they know. Whereas hunters and handloaders make sure their bullet selection will perform with the cartridge. Nearly all my guys showed up this year with a 7mm mag! Guess what, we had zero issues. All the bulls were shot and killed in a reasonable manner. 1-2 shots all with factory box ammo, Average of 300 yards.

I have had 3 rifles in 6.5 creedmoor since 2008, it's a great round. I shot my elk with it to see how it would go. My wife shot hers with the same rifle because it was her first elk and I knew how **** accurate that rifle was so I trusted it. Both elk are dead and have been eaten so nobody can argue that! Is it ideal for elk, probably not but a lot of guys say neither is a 7mm mag.

So before you bash a hornady creation cause the brass sucks or a hammer bullet cause it has a lower bc than you like how bout you try it out and see for yourself

Recent Posts