6.5 Creedmor- the Holy Grail?

I know I am going to get a bunch of flack for posting this, but....

In a recent conversation with a friend of mine, who has a grand slam of sheep on his bedroom wall, and a super slam of the rest of the game animals in North America less a barren ground caribou, I was told during a conversation about accurate smaller caliber rounds that he has four friends, who this year each lost mature elk bulls each with a 140 grain bullet reasonable well placed from a 6.5 Creedmor.
This cartridge, to me, seems to have the ability in many of its proponents minds to be the holy grail of all cartridge designs. It is sad when common sense is put back in the gun locker when any of us take to the woods with a weapon that doesn't really fill the bill for the game we hunt, when we know we have the horsepower in the locker to do the job properly.
Elmer Keith who we all know loved the .270 Winchester. But his favorite for hunting and guiding for elk is reported to be the .375 H&H. He also loved the .338 Win Mag.
Dead is Dead, but wounded is usually also dead but with a heavy dose of suffering to go with it.

I own a .338 Win Mag and have made it a point to be able to shoot it comfortably. I also own 2 25-06's and 3 .243's. I use the latter to plink, for my grandchildren to shoot deer, and for just a fun day on the range. When the hunt is on for me and as a back up it is 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm Exact or .338 Win Mag. Common sense to see that Dead is Dead when I pull the trigger on something worth shooting.

HOLY RAIL ??? Just what purpose what you consider the 6.5 for ? The 6.5 was developed for target shooting and not for hunting. You could potentially use almost anything for hunting depending on the specific purpose. To be a humane sportsman utilizing the most effecting caliber would only seem to be common sense though some people listen to all the hype although there are those who are a limited number that are stuck using the weapon they have available. Personally I will stick with my current tried and true 308 and 270 since they have proven their effectiveness over and over for many years !!

I own a .270 Win, a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 338 Win Mag. My favorite whitetail rifle? The 338 of course. I get no pleasure whatsoever in tracking any game. If I have to track, I prefer 2 big holes bleeding profusely. A 250 grain 338 projectile in the vitals has for me resulted in no tracking ever and no bloodshot meat.

Seems like just a bit of over kill !!!!

I had requested earlier in the thread for ballistics to back up a point of view. They never showed up. So I figure if I am willing to ask for ballistics I should be willing to provide some.

The 6mm Creed that I mentioned carrying this year is a Ruger American 22" barrel.
Load data:
88g Hammer Hunter .212 g7bc
46g H4350
WLRM
Hornady brass
Muzzle vel 3326fps w/ 5.9sd energy is 2161 ft/lb
Impact vel at 400y is 2555fps energy is 1266 ft/lb

7-08 22" barrel load data:
131g Hammer Hunter .211 g7bc
46g Varget
WLRM
Lapua brass
Muzzle vel 3120fps w/ 5.3 sd energy is 2831 ft/lb
Impact vel at 400y is 2362fps energy is 1622 ft/lb

6.5 Creed 24" barrel data: Hottest I found
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
143g ELD-X .315 g7bc
58.8g Superformance
Fed 210m
Hornady brass
Muzzle vel 2795fps energy is 2480 ft/lb
Impact vel at 400y is 2256fps energy is 1674 ft/lb

I still stand by my statement that I would rather have the larger dia 7mm with higher impact vel for hunting elk than the slower smaller dia 6.5 creed.

@FIGJAM
You can do what you like with the data. If I have ever been incorrect in any of my statements I would like to know about it and would stand corrected. Myself or our company never intentionally mislead our customers. There is no reason for us to. We have one goal, and that is to make the best bullet possible. We have countless hours into research and development along with countless hours of bullet testing to make sure that we are making the best product possible. Unless you have used our product and found a problem with it, you have no right to denigrate the product or what we do.

I know I am going to get a bunch of flack for posting this, but....

In a recent conversation with a friend of mine, who has a grand slam of sheep on his bedroom wall, and a super slam of the rest of the game animals in North America less a barren ground caribou, I was told during a conversation about accurate smaller caliber rounds that he has four friends, who this year each lost mature elk bulls each with a 140 grain bullet reasonable well placed from a 6.5 Creedmor.
This cartridge, to me, seems to have the ability in many of its proponents minds to be the holy grail of all cartridge designs. It is sad when common sense is put back in the gun locker when any of us take to the woods with a weapon that doesn't really fill the bill for the game we hunt, when we know we have the horsepower in the locker to do the job properly.
Elmer Keith who we all know loved the .270 Winchester. But his favorite for hunting and guiding for elk is reported to be the .375 H&H. He also loved the .338 Win Mag.
Dead is Dead, but wounded is usually also dead but with a heavy dose of suffering to go with it.
I own a .338 Win Mag and have made it a point to be able to shoot it comfortably. I also own 2 25-06's and 3 .243's. I use the latter to plink, for my grandchildren to shoot deer, and for just a fun day on the range. When the hunt is on for me and as a back up it is 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm Exact or .338 Win Mag. Common sense to see that Dead is Dead when I pull the trigger on something worth shooting.
I hunt elk with a 7 mag.....changing up to the 7mm08....and I also use a bow....
my sons buddy shot an elk with his creed 8 friggin times....
my son girlfriend shot her elk with my sons 300 win mag 4 times before it took a knee....both elk were huge.....id shoot a cow or a raghorn 5 point with a creed....at three hundred yards

I shot a rag horn with a 300 win 190 vld @286 yards and it just turned its head and looked at me. Lungs were jelly but it wasn't ready to die. Tough animals.

I shot a rag horn with a 300 win 190 vld @286 yards and it just turned its head and looked at me. Lungs were jelly but it wasn't ready to die. Tough animals.
every elk I shot with a berger did that....so I went back to swift sciroccoii…..the swift slaps em around real good.....every one has just dropped...love that bullet

I had requested earlier in the thread for ballistics to back up a point of view. They never showed up. So I figure if I am willing to ask for ballistics I should be willing to provide some.

The 6mm Creed that I mentioned carrying this year is a Ruger American 22" barrel.
Load data:
88g Hammer Hunter .212 g7bc
46g H4350
WLRM
Hornady brass
Muzzle vel 3326fps w/ 5.9sd energy is 2161 ft/lb
Impact vel at 400y is 2555fps energy is 1266 ft/lb

7-08 22" barrel load data:
131g Hammer Hunter .211 g7bc
46g Varget
WLRM
Lapua brass
Muzzle vel 3120fps w/ 5.3 sd energy is 2831 ft/lb
Impact vel at 400y is 2362fps energy is 1622 ft/lb

6.5 Creed 24" barrel data: Hottest I found
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
143g ELD-X .315 g7bc
58.8g Superformance
Fed 210m
Hornady brass
Muzzle vel 2795fps energy is 2480 ft/lb
Impact vel at 400y is 2256fps energy is 1674 ft/lb

I still stand by my statement that I would rather have the larger dia 7mm with higher impact vel for hunting elk than the slower smaller dia 6.5 creed.

@FIGJAM
You can do what you like with the data. If I have ever been incorrect in any of my statements I would like to know about it and would stand corrected. Myself or our company never intentionally mislead our customers. There is no reason for us to. We have one goal, and that is to make the best bullet possible. We have countless hours into research and development along with countless hours of bullet testing to make sure that we are making the best product possible. Unless you have used our product and found a problem with it, you have no right to denigrate the product or what we do.
Nice info steve! Iv got serval 6.5s and fast 22s that i run ur bullet in. They shoot better or just as good as anything i ever shot! The way i see it is with any bullet it speed is king out to about 500 yds. Then its all about bc. What i find funny is the folks that dont have a clue about ballistics think since they got a 6.5 creedmore they r a sniper! I been shooting 264 win mags long time. No big hype about them but its like everyone gona jump on the band wagon now they got a creed! Iv killed elk at 1004 yds with a 7mm Dakota. And deer at 960 with a 6.5 wssm. My opinion its all about shot placement! And ppl who cant shoot is always gona cry about the caliber if they loose game! Keep making them nice bullets. Iv seen What the 64gr hammer does to a deer at 3900 fps. Wouldn't be afraid to shoot a elk with it inside 300 yds. But as always i got a 7mm to ha ha

Last edited:
Watch at 31:30. He claims he hit it all 4 times at only 300 yards then brags about the 6.5 CM cartridge! He's very lucky he was able to get off shot 2, 3 and 4.

Come on now, that was with a 6.5 PRC and not a CM... totally different thread.:D

Had a Special Forces guy say this once: rule #1 about being SF, always look cool doing it!

He was shooting a 6.5 PRC.
Y
He was shooting a 6.5 PRC.

Your right! My bad. The CM would be even worst, but I agree Tex_Hunter...the guy just needs to learn how to shoot. There was a HUSH video recently (3 Stud Antelope) where a girl shoots an antelope with a 6.5 CM and knocks it down, they're all standing around talking awhile then all a sudden the Antelope stands up and they had to shoot it another time or two.