6.5 Creedmor- the Holy Grail?

I think it is hilarious that you will criticize the adequacy of a 140 gr bullet out of a 6.5 creedmoor, but claim that one of your low bc 6mm 88 gr hammer bullets is more than adequate and you are going to use it on elk, just for the data tho right? Give me a break man...
There you go assuming things again. Last time you assumed that I hate 6.5's and that I had probably never shoot one. Now you are assumingthe range that I intend to shoot. That's ok though because I assume you never get tired of being wrong.

I would rather shoot an elk with my 6mm creed running a muzzle vel of 3350 fps with an 88g Hammer Hunter (a rugged bullet that can handle the needed penetration) at 350y than with a 6.5 Creed running a 140g anything with a muzzle vel of 2700 fps.

300 Norma beats the brakes off 300 PRC and 300 Win.
Hornady has been peddling turnkey versions of old standbys to get lazy people into the sport.

In pure velocity, sure. Not in the low EV's wanted for hits on small targets at ELR. No having to worry about powder up versus powder down variations like in the big fat Norma case. Is that being lazy?

Waste of taxpayer money... We already have those 3 I mentioned, so why the hell would we need a .300NM, or a .300 PRC for +2K engagements. That's just idiotic.

Twist rates only VERY slightly affect pressures...Sometimes not at all. So, how would modern twist rates affect reloading manuals for 1:9 twist barrels, other than not having load data for 1:7 or 1:8 twist barrels?

The DOD was looking at 300 Norma because it would just be a new barrel on the 338 Lapua rifles but had better drift and deflection and less recoil. Less energy too but they were looking at it.

The DOD was looking at 300 Norma because it would just be a new barrel on the 338 Lapua rifles but had better drift and deflection and less recoil. Less energy too but they were looking at it.
I could see the .300NM over the .338 Lapua, but once you get bigger than that, the big bores are what needs to be utilized in a combat zone, in excess of 1,500 meters. Personal opinion.

I could see the .300NM over the .338 Lapua, but once you get bigger than that, the big bores are what needs to be utilized in a combat zone, in excess of 1,500 meters. Personal opinion.
To me it seems like bullet technology is such that you can hit out to 1k with 308, pretty close to 2k with 300 Win or the like, and the next step is a 375

So to clarify your slam friend has 4 different friends that each lost a Bull this year hit well with a 6.5CM?

Or your friend has personally lost 4 bulls with a creedmoor?
If they'd been "Hit Well" they wouldn't of run off.

Put the right bullet in the right place and you have hit the animal well. Put the right bullet in the right place and it doesn't run off or at least not far.

So many variables.

Two people I know bull elk hunted in Az just a few weeks ago. One shot a nice 6 x 6 at 400 yds with a 308 using 150 gr nosler ballistic tips @ 2900 fps. One shot died, right away. The other person shot at a bull at just under 200 yd with his 270 win loaded with 130 nosler ballistic tips (unknown velocity). He lost the elk.
Not the best choice of bullet for either rifle one got the job done the other didn't.

In both instances I would have suggested to the owners of those two rifles to use a heavier premium bullet like the partition.

I guess we will never know the story on those four lost elk. My feeling is the bullet choice was a big factor.

Fariswm: can you find out what those four hunters were using in their 6.5 Creedmoors?
Bullet selection and shot placement both need to be seriously thought about and matched to the game being sought.

It's really just that simple.

I gotta disagree with most comments here. It all comes down to a hunter that is competent. Notice I did not say confident!.
At the end of every hunt with the 300 win mag, 7mm magnum and/or 45/70. Every large caliber hunter throws away pounds and pounds of blood shot meat. To what purpose I ask!? It's no more of a waste than the guy who shot a bad shot and lost the wounded elk. It's all about getting the bullet in the kill zone and all your equipment will not do that without proper training. For those 4 who lost the elk. Im sorry to hear it. But next time be more prepared, bring along a black light flashlight and wait till evening to find blood if you have to. Knock small calibers all you want but at the end of the day I prefer to make a good shot and I prefer not to waste meat. Good Bless you all.
Well I'll correct you one aspect of this.

I throw away very little meat because I use non frangible bullets that reliably and consistently expand and learned to put them where they'll do the most good.

If you have no exit hole, or one larger than a golf ball, there are better bullets to choose from.

Just to add my $.02 in the mix. I witnessed a friend take 6x6 bulls at 934 yards with a 6.5 shooting 143 ELD X with one shot this year in Idaho. My hunting party help him pack it out. He recovered the bullet on the opposite side against the hide, I examined the bullet and can say it expanded down to the ogive.
What kind of 6.5?

Oh for the days when cartridges stayed where they belong. The Creedmores were invented for punching lots of paper at long distances. That's where they belong. Pushing beyond the envelope of your cartridge/ rifle/personal attributes doesn't make you an Olympian. It makes you foolish.
Well that isn't true. The 6.5x55 is the CM's ballistic twin and it has been widely and successfully used on medium, large, and even dangerous game the world over for a hundred years.