6.5 Creedmoor or .260 Rem on a long action??

Dirt_Nap

Im looking to build 2 rifles. 1 deer hunting rifle and a lr rifle setup. I want to use the same caliber for both. I'm down to these 2. I was told a .260 is a sa won't have enough room for the bigger bullets. I only reload

I went this same route but did two 6.5x47's. One on a Defiance that shoots 130 bergers at 2950 fps. Other one on a Remington SA shooting 130 Accubond at 2900 fps. Both great deer bullets. No problem loading the x47 in a short action. Not quite the case capacity as the creed or 260, but it gives good performance. 130 Berger load carries enough velocity and energy for deer out to 750 yds.

If you go 260 i would do the improved version. I went 6.5 creed and have been very pleased. I use it as a bench gun not hunting so the creed kept the cost down. Has the 6.5-284 been ruled out? It seems to fit what you want perfect.

Either cartridge would be fine. If you didn't mind having a wildcat in that long action you could have a reamer made that would allow you to seat the heavy bullet way out so that you could pick up that case capacity.

Of those two, .260 for sure, but if your building on a long action there's better options.
Building a 260 or a 6.5 cm on a long action won't gain you much over a short action.

Jmcmath mentioned the 6.5x284 which can be shot on a long or short action, but has a lot more to offer in a la.

.260 AI on a long action would be a stellar setup. OR a 6.5x284 Norma on a LA, or take full-advantage of the long action and get the most out of your rifle with a 6.5 Sherman.

Im looking to build 2 rifles. 1 deer hunting rifle and a lr rifle setup. I want to use the same caliber for both. I'm down to these 2. I was told a .260 is a sa won't have enough room for the bigger bullets. I only reload

On a short action, I would, and have done 6.5x47 and 6.5 Creedmoor. They both work fine in a short action. On a short action hunting rig, I have done a .260 with a Wyatt extended mag box. That worked fine.

Of the two you mentioned in a long action, I would go with .260. My own choice in a long action would likely be a 6.5/06.

John

I went with the title to the thread. If I was choosing another cartridge other than the two mentioned in the title, 6.5x55. Because of the action, brass availability, performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.