260 rem vers 6.5 Creedmoor?

vino

Mabey this has been asked before but I'm not sure how to find it.
I'm going to get a nother gun. And I'm torn between the 260 rem and the 6.5 Creedmoor in the savage
Model 12LPR.
Or is there a better gun choice in that price range.?
I'm thinking about trading in my rem SF2 300win.gun)

vino

I've got one of those rifles in 260 Rem. I've found that if you push it at all you blow primer pockets and the brass is done. This has even happened with Lapua brass. The gun shoots great and can handle shot after shot without overheating but I'd look at the Creedmore if I had it to do again.

Good to know thanks. . I do some hand loading but on occasion I do buy factory ammo. And the ammo looks to be cheaper in the Creedmoor .

I would like to stick with the listed caliber they only offer 3 in the gun.
But on the other hand I found a rem cdl 700 today with a custom .6.5/06
Has a SS fluted barrel . Any input on that chioce?

I would like to stick with the listed caliber they only offer 3 in the gun.
But on the other hand I found a rem cdl 700 today with a custom .6.5/06
Has a SS fluted barrel . Any input on that chioce?
Good rifle, good caliber.....But get ready to learn how to neck-down and trim brass. Nothing is free when it comes to wildcat rounds.

I That 6.5/06 I found is a rem 700 action the action part is blued the custom barrel is SS. The stock is ugly as hell. The scope needs removed and throwed away.
It has 2 boxes of ammo With it and it's priced in the mid 500$
What kid of stock would you guys suggest and is this even worth thinking about?

A Creedmoor has the same base diameter and the body has less taper, about half as much, than a 260. The body is about .070" shorter. The difference in body volume is about 3.5%. The shoulder is shorter and the neck is longer than a 260. So 2.5 gr difference should get real close.

I That 6.5/06 I found is a rem 700 action the action part is blued the custom barrel is SS. The stock is ugly as hell. The scope needs removed and throwed away.
It has 2 boxes of ammo With it and it's priced in the mid 500$
What kid of stock would you guys suggest and is this even worth thinking about?
If you're going for a lightweight rig, that is still capable for long range, for the money,I don't think you can beat the Bell & Carlson Medalist stocks. I have one on a custom 700 .30-06 AI, and it's a phenomenal stock, especially after having it bedded. They are designed for sporter barrels, but they CAN be opened up to handle a Sendero/Varmint contour heavy barrel. My .30-06 AI has a varmint contour barrel on it, and the stock works perfectly, after my smith opened the barrel channel up on it.

Bell & Carlson Medalist

HS Precision stocks are awesome. They're my favorite, with the B&C Medalist stocks coming in at a close 2nd.

H-S Precision Pro-Series 2000 Sporter Stocks - Remington 700 ADL BDL Right and Left Hand PSS 001 003 009 010 016 108

So would you guys get the savage Model 12LPR
Or get the custom Remington 6.5/06 and restock it?
Only down side I see is if I get the6.5/06 it's all hand loads and if I go creed. I can buy factory ammo?

Last edited:
I have a 260 self made custom, my buddy has the Savage you mention in 6.5CM, I have no experience with the 6.5-06

Ballistics: not enough difference 260 vs. 6.5CM vs. 6.5-06 to base much on.
Fit to action: when seating long, heavy for caliber bullets, the CM has the advantage for magazine feed.
Accuracy: not enough difference

How do you decide?

If it were me, I'd go with the one I can make my own. As in the 6.5-06. Good enough action and lower starting price. If your not into modding and reloading, go with the 6.5CM as factory loads are damb good.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.