260 rem or 6.5-06 on 700 Long action?

260 rem or 6.5-06?

• .260 Rem

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • 6.5-06

Votes: 24 72.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have been thinking of the same question for sometime now. But I have been also trying to find some answers about a 6.5-06 ackley improved. The reason would be Nosler's 280 Rem AI brass and resizing option... Anyone consider this and is it possible with the Nosler brass to shorten the fireforming issues. I also agree the 280 rem ai would be the better choice with the high BC bullets out there but I always have wanted a 6.5

my first choice would be a 6.5-284 . i have two of them. you can get lapua brass and i have dies for it. my second would be the 6.5-06.

Does anyone have experience with a 260 Ackley Improved? I read about it on 6mmbr.com and that intrigued me!

I saw one in the classified ad awhile back - it got snatched up quick!

How about a 6.5x57 AI? There have been some excellent results from the 257 Roberts AI, bump it .007" to .264" and the results should be very similar.

But trying to beat the performance and accuracy of a 6.5x284 is a fool's game. I am not sure if the magazine follower needs to be modified for a 284 based cartridge. That could be percieved as a minus - but a very small one.

OP, have you thought any on the 6.5x55 AI? Stamped ready made Lapua brass, speeds very close to 284 case from what I am told, and likely better bbl life. It'll DO what your 260 AI is trying to do, with less pressure IMHO.

Otherwise, no reason not to just use the 6.5/284 as brass ready to go. I like to keep things simple myself.

OR you could buy a 264 Win Mag Sendero if that floats your boat.

Never heard anyone complain on any 6.5. If accurate, barrel life and brass forming are your two variables.

How much speed do you really need is perhaps your last question.

If you use a .270 cases to make 6.5X06 brass the cases must be trimmed....the .270 is LONGER than '06.I've used .25-06 to make my 6.5 brass with good results.
My rifle has a medium sporter barrel with 1/8 twist and it will almost effortlessly shoot 3/4" groups with Nosler 120 gr B.T.'s..If i really try and have good conditions it will do less....a lot less.
best
Dana

I just did this very thing w/ an old 30-06. I went with the 6.5-06, got a set of dies from rcbs, and away I went. The 130g Sciroccos have a fairly high bc and so far shoot great. The only down side is I can't seat the bullets out to the lands and still have them fit in the mag. I am jumping them and it is shooting sub moa. When I get a custom stock for it I will change the mag.

Steve
I shoot a LA700 chambered in 6.5 gibbs, I load .012" off the lands for an OAL length of 3.538" and they fit the mag with room to spare.
RR

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.