6.5 Creedmoor for moose

I seen a video of the Inuit shooting a polar bear with a 22/250 but I'd probably recommend something bigger!

Relying on AK Native hunting prowess with mini cartridges for expert support is hilarious and at the same time troubling, most of them are about gun expert as a group of Minn trailer boys on a deer drive with shotguns where 40 guys open fire on a deer that got flushed out into the line of fire, most if not all of their hunts are "subsistence" or "community" where they pull up on a jetboat or snowmachine to 10 k head of caribou and pop them in the head at 50 feet or a group of them open fire on a running herd then collect the dead

bottom line is, as a hunter your job is to kill the animal in the quickest most efficient manner, not talking about "ethics" but simple human common sense every individual possesses, many choose to ignore that voice of reason and make stubborn, ignorant choices

Why would you even attempt to go moose hunting with a cartridge clearly incapable of anchoring a large animal off it's feet, do some of you relish the idea of a wounded, wild eyed and bleeding animal running for hundreds of yards while you attempt to put more bullets into it ?
With the multitude of cartridge choices we have these days, why screw it up ?

In my moose camp, mini cartridges are forbidden and 30 caliber is minimum, as in a 30-06 with 180 gr bullet but prefer hunters with 300 WSM or 300 Win Mag, various 338's even better, our job is to harvest game cleanly not to go into a chaotic, chasing and searching episode

coming to hunt moose in Alaska ? leave the pea shooter at home but make sure to bring insulated waterproof boots and raingear

Anyone know the name of the Alaskan trapper that shot most everything with a 220 swift. I read about him years ago but have since forgotten his name. Not hijacking the thread, but it relates to shooting big game with a small center-fire.
I think there was a guy called the Wolf man that shot everything with a 220 Swift. His name was Frank Glaser. There's a book about him. He finally gave it up when he was almost chewed up by a charging grizzly and was able to kill it after 11 shots!! Guy had ice in his veins!

[QUOTE="WildRose, post: 1785805, member: 30902Please, just don't go shooting match bullets at them or try punching the shoulder with it and you should be fine.[/QUOTE]

LOL Awesome!

Relying on AK Native hunting prowess with mini cartridges for expert support is hilarious and at the same time troubling, most of them are about gun expert as a group of Minn trailer boys on a deer drive with shotguns where 40 guys open fire on a deer that got flushed out into the line of fire, most if not all of their hunts are "subsistence" or "community" where they pull up on a jetboat or snowmachine to 10 k head of caribou and pop them in the head at 50 feet or a group of them open fire on a running herd then collect the dead

bottom line is, as a hunter your job is to kill the animal in the quickest most efficient manner, not talking about "*Rule 1 Violation*s" but simple human common sense every individual possesses, many choose to ignore that voice of reason and make stubborn, ignorant choices

Why would you even attempt to go moose hunting with a cartridge clearly incapable of anchoring a large animal off it's feet, do some of you relish the idea of a wounded, wild eyed and bleeding animal running for hundreds of yards while you attempt to put more bullets into it ?
With the multitude of cartridge choices we have these days, why screw it up ?

In my moose camp, mini cartridges are forbidden and 30 caliber is minimum, as in a 30-06 with 180 gr bullet but prefer hunters with 300 WSM or 300 Win Mag, various 338's even better, our job is to harvest game cleanly not to go into a chaotic, chasing and searching episode

coming to hunt moose in Alaska ? leave the pea shooter at home but make sure to bring insulated waterproof boots and raingear

There's a lot right in this post but it's a simple proven fact that the 6.5's are capable of taking large game like moose and even dangerous game the world over and they've been doing it now since the 1890's.

Know the strengths and limitations of what you are shooting including bullet design and put it where it will do the most good and the moose will be dead.

If you're gonna poke him with an ice pick your options are far more limited than if you use a cannon but both will get the job done if you do your part.

I think there was a guy called the Wolf man that shot everything with a 220 Swift. His name was Frank Glaser. There's a book about him. He finally gave it up when he was almost chewed up by a charging grizzly and was able to kill it after 11 shots!! Guy had ice in his veins!

Yep, that him. I read that book years ago. Thank you!

There's a lot right in this post but it's a simple proven fact that the 6.5's are capable of taking large game like moose and even dangerous game the world over and they've been doing it now since the 1890's.

Know the strengths and limitations of what you are shooting including bullet design and put it where it will do the most good and the moose will be dead.

If you're gonna poke him with an ice pick your options are far more limited than if you use a cannon but both will get the job done if you do your part.
All you say here is correct but there are much better choices for moose then the 6.5 Creedmoor. The CM is a fine little round both accurate and efficient. We however are speaking about sport hunting
And we all have means enough and the information to purchase the equipment we need. Most of us are not the local Alaskans natives with little money and going to go hungry if we don't put meat on the pole.
It is true get the good shot and have a well constructed bullet , dead moose with the 6.5 CM. What I don't understand is why do we have bigger more powerful rifles available? Though I have had many perfect shots over the years , I have also had many shots that were less than perfect and still took the animal down quickly and humanely. Point here is , use enough gun for all the situations .

The 6.5 Creedmoor may work on moose under certain (very narrow) conditions, but what happens when it doesn't ?

You lose the trophy of a lifetime, the bull moose runs off to die somewhere, never to be found, 600-1000 lbs of meat and a beautiful set of antlers wasted

YOU cannot shoot another one that season, you have to tag it and you're done

could and probably should get charged with negligent "wanton waste of meat"
Alaska is notoriously serious and strict about this issue, no free rides and punishment is swift with $$$$ fines

$800.00 non-resident moose tag & $160.00 non-resident hunting license wasted

all your expenses for the trip and lost time at work $$$$ ? wasted

be smart and bring enough gun for the job, leave the steel plate plinker at home

Just a thought...if you have to ask if it'll work, you don't know enough about your cartridge or the game you're hunting, so the answer should be "nope, won't work". When things go wrong, its a nuisance, when things go wrong in Alaska, its dangerous and expensive!

All true, but I think the same study showed - surprisingly - that nearly all the calibers, large & small, performed much the same.
Also, I don't think most people hunting Moose plan to shoot them at long ranges.
I have shot 9 moose and let me tell you when you see one during hunting season it is the exception not the norm. I for one would recommend the most powerful caliber which you can shoot well. I have shot all 9 with .30 caliber rounds from .308 Win to 300 WSM and none of them have travelled more than 50 yards including 2 shot at 425 yards with the 300 magnum (both only went 20 yds)
The one which went the farthest was travelling away from me in dense brush about 100 yards away and one shot brought it down very quick. Not my best shooting but the 300 magnum did a ton of damage from the hind quarter all the way to the front shoulder allowing an easy killing shot.
Although you usually don't plan on long shots during a week long hunt moose are where you find them.

Would a moose be similar to an elk in terms of toughness? I'd like to think my creedmore would do the job on either with a 140 Accubond or something similar out to 300-400 yards. I'd like to think the same of a 7mm-08 too. I would agree that at ranges beyon that, things would seem marginal with such chambering.

Merry Christmas everyone!

I would not recommend your 7mm-08 for anything over 250 yards on a moose unless you can wait for the perfect shot or you would like to hone your blood tracking skills.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts