6.5 Creedmoor for moose

Is the 6.5 Creedmoor an adequate round for moose hunting in Alaska ?

Not my first choice but with the right bullet put in the right place it'll certainly do the job.

Ballistically it's nearly a twin to the 6.5 Swede which has been killing large game the world over, including moose for more than a century now, since 1894.

Please, just don't go shooting match bullets at them or try punching the shoulder with it and you should be fine.

Not my first choice but with the right bullet put in the right place it'll certainly do the job.

Ballistically it's nearly a twin to the 6.5 Swede which has been killing large game the world over, including moose for more than a century now, since 1894.

Please, just don't go shooting match bullets at them or try punching the shoulder with it and you should be fine.
Wouldn't the '06 be much preferable?

Wouldn't the '06 be much preferable?

Depends on who you are and your circumstances. If you're a 110lbs woman or 90lbs kid, or if the 6.5 is the only gun you own it would not be.

When I make my trip to AK I'll be taking a .375 Ruger and either a 7mm STW or .300 Rum but I have lots of choices and enough weight of my own not to be overly bothered by recoil.

The question was "will it work" and yes, it will certainly work when loaded with the right ammo/bullet and when the bullet is put in the right spot.

A bigger round gives you more room for error and greater range but either will kill dependably within reasonable limits.

The Moose won't know which it was killed with.

The Creedmore is adequate to push a good enough bullet to do well on a moose, are you going to power one down, no neither will an 06, some moose cartridge considerations do involve having the fire power to deal with the other things you run into mainly grizzles and that changes the conversation!!

The Creedmore is adequate to push a good enough bullet to do well on a moose, are you going to power one down, no neither will an 06, some moose cartridge considerations do involve having the fire power to deal with the other things you run into mainly grizzles and that changes the conversation!!

Better have some solids if bears come into the equation.

Will a 6.5 Creedmoor kill a moose ? Sure it will, just depends when and where it dies after the shooting is done

How much time do you have and how long you want to work ? getting it out of where it finally dies ..... is up to you

a guide will most likely hammer it down after your shot, like the fella who recently came here after a grizzly with a 7mm

good luck

Just because it will do it...doesn't mean it should be done.
Adequate , what does that mean? Too many better choices for Alaska period! Hunting any animal big or small presents all kinds of scenarios to be encountered. Shots at range, broadside , quartering , head on shots , charges heavy cover etc! This one rifle thing may be economics and that's understandable but to choose the light end of the spectrum is beyond me. I started hunting at 12 years old and was shooting a 30-06 at 14 and weighing a strapping 100 lbs. One of the best female hunters I ever met hunted with a 3006 into her seventies! I never heard her complain about recoil . This is the problem with the fan boy love of the 6.5 CM , it can't be just a great little round , it has to be the greatest thing ever ! Why can't we just say yes you can kill a moose with the CM but there are better choices. Like the man said " just because it will do it, doesn't mean you should.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.