6.5 Creedmoor for moose

Yes I think so - and the Scandinavians even have a factory cartridge for it:
Sako's 156gr 'Deerhead' (Norma's Oryx bullet).
In my 25" barrel I'm getting over 2700fps (> 2500 ftlb) at the muzzle.
It ha proved pretty deadly on large Boars.

I think one thing people often overlook when they are bringing up the Scandinavian moose hunters and the 6.5 is the way they used them on the typical moose hunts. They use large dogs to drive them out of the thick or antagonize a bull into fighting allowing very close shots. Most shots are under 100 yds. And studies have shown the average moose took 3 shots from the Swede with their 156 or 160 grain slugs to kill it. They were going around 2500 fps and of the 1700 moose killed in the study the average moose went 135 yards after the first shot until went down. So, yeah it can and has been done. For decades. You just need to ask yourself what type of results you're asking for or expecting. Shoot em in the neck right behind the ear and they won't go far. End of the day we all go back to bullet placement, whether it be a 22 magnum or 460 Weatherby.

Last edited:
Man, I would sure like to think so, but I've ran into so many guys in the elk woods talking about 1000 yards because they have this new 6.5 Creedmoor it's amazing. The kool-aid keg is plumb empty. My son shoots a CM and it's a great antelope and deer rifle. But the limits apply same as my daughter's 7mm-08. 400 yards on elk. They both shoot well out to 400 and even 600 but that's just my self imposed limit for what I feel the rifles limitations should be. We are successful and have never lost an elk or deer with their 18 one shot kills. Yes some elk have gotten away over the years getting outside that 400 yard halo, but we typically will get one the following days within range. I've just stopped trying to guess what other hunters are thinking anymore.

I called my buddy up in Alaska and getting back to original question he said there is no minimum caliber requirements in Alaska. Said no rimfires can be used except for shooting caribou from a boat in the water. And minimum 45 cal on muzzleloaders. But like we mentioned before plenty of natives use 223, 22-250 & 220 swifts on big game up there so the State of Alaska isn't going to set a minimum requirement. He did say outfitters will have minimum requirements though so be sure to call them and discuss before you show up with your 25-06 or 6.5.

Would a moose be similar to an elk in terms of toughness? I'd like to think my creedmore would do the job on either with a 140 Accubond or something similar out to 300-400 yards. I'd like to think the same of a 7mm-08 too. I would agree that at ranges beyon that, things would seem marginal with such chambering.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.