6.5 Creedmoor for moose

Would a moose be similar to an elk in terms of toughness? I'd like to think my creedmore would do the job on either with a 140 Accubond or something similar out to 300-400 yards. I'd like to think the same of a 7mm-08 too. I would agree that at ranges beyon that, things would seem marginal with such chambering.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Moose have thicker skin and are quite a bit biggers

Most likely you were afraid the Creed would tear him up too bad. You are much better off with the big RUM. Wouldn't want you wasting all that moose meat.:rolleyes:
If he wanted to shoot one with a creed he would of never had to leave home, after all they are the flattest shooting death ray cartridge that was ever made. Lol

X2 for leaving the creed at home!

I'd rather have my 338-06 with 210partitions or 45-70 if I was in the timber just in case a grizz wants to join you for dinner.

Here is link to AK page on firearms which is interesting to say the least.
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.firearms

Bullet placement is their number one criteria.

Here is one of their paragraphs on cartridge selection:
"Cartridge Selection
Alaska big game varies from the relatively small (deer, goats) to the largest game on the continent (brown bears, moose). In general, hunters should select a larger caliber for the largest game. Cover type should also play a role in cartridge selection. Sheep and goats are almost always hunted in the mountains where long distance visibility is the rule. A smaller, flat-shooting cartridge may be best here. Deer in the coastal forests of Southeast Alaska are often shot at less than 20 yards. Moose in the Interior may be shot at intermediate distances. Select your cartridge based on the expected circumstances."

I added underline for emphasis which is what most folks would consider when hunting larger animals. I would also check with your guide as for their minimal caliber requirements since many do have them and will not accept anything less due to their own experiences. Heck, I know some elk outfitters that have strong opinions on minimal calibers due to chasing critters through the mountains is not what they like to do for sure.

So back to the OP question, is it enough? Yes but with a whole bunch of qualifiers. Behind the shoulder perfect broadside? Sure all day long. But who gets perfect standing broadside shots EVERY time they hunt an animal as big as a moose? I always like to take the least caliber that can handle most every type of angle shot imagine since you are on a trip maybe of a lifetime so you really want to be able to kill the animal when ANY shot presents itself. It may be the ONLY shot of your trip period so you surely want enough gun to make that shot.

upload_2019-12-23_18-7-58.jpeg
According to Hornady only deer and elk

Here is link to AK page on firearms which is interesting to say the least.
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.firearms

Bullet placement is their number one criteria.

Here is one of their paragraphs on cartridge selection:
"Cartridge Selection
Alaska big game varies from the relatively small (deer, goats) to the largest game on the continent (brown bears, moose). In general, hunters should select a larger caliber for the largest game. Cover type should also play a role in cartridge selection. Sheep and goats are almost always hunted in the mountains where long distance visibility is the rule. A smaller, flat-shooting cartridge may be best here. Deer in the coastal forests of Southeast Alaska are often shot at less than 20 yards. Moose in the Interior may be shot at intermediate distances. Select your cartridge based on the expected circumstances."

I added underline for emphasis which is what most folks would consider when hunting larger animals. I would also check with your guide as for their minimal caliber requirements since many do have them and will not accept anything less due to their own experiences. Heck, I know some elk outfitters that have strong opinions on minimal calibers due to chasing critters through the mountains is not what they like to do for sure.

So back to the OP question, is it enough? Yes but with a whole bunch of qualifiers. Behind the shoulder perfect broadside? Sure all day long. But who gets perfect standing broadside shots EVERY time they hunt an animal as big as a moose? I always like to take the least caliber that can handle most every type of angle shot imagine since you are on a trip maybe of a lifetime so you really want to be able to kill the animal when ANY shot presents itself. It may be the ONLY shot of your trip period so you surely want enough gun to make that shot.
I think penetration and busting through bones for those tough angle shots has more to do with bullet construction and velocity on impact than bullet diameter.

Is the 6.5 Creedmoor an adequate round for moose hunting in Alaska ?
Anyone know the name of the Alaskan trapper that shot most everything with a 220 swift. I read about him years ago but have since forgotten his name. Not hijacking the thread, but it relates to shooting big game with a small center-fire.

With proper bullet placement the 6.5 Creedmoor can and has taken just about ( notice I said just about ) anything on the North American continent. However it will never be my first choice for any large dangerous american game. I truly love the cartridge and have several rifles chambered in this caliber,but I would be reluctant to harvest anything larger than a deer size animal with it. Ya I know it can and has been successfully deployed against larger critters but not by me. I have several chamberings that are allotted for dangerous game.
1) .300 Win. Mag.
2) .338 Win. Mag
3) 45 x 70 Government
Most often I find the .300 Win Mag in my hands and really like this round a lot.
Occasionally I will carry the .338 Win. Mag. when I am hunting large dangerous potentially man killing Alaskan Game.
But truth be told I like the power and feel of a lever gun in 45 x 70 Government. So if I had just one gun for use here in the States I think this would be it. After all this cartridge has been with us for a very long time ( as have most of the calibers that i mention ) and is making a well deserved resurgence in several arenas.
I'm sorry I digress the simple answer is that yes in a skilled rifleman's hands shot placement is the key to ones success,and to that end the 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge is a performer. However I myself certainly would prefer something a little more substantial. Something that fires a projectile in excess of 200 - 325 grains. Just my 2 cents worth !

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.