260. Rem for moose?

matt_3479

I more recently built a 260. Rem that I had no real plan to hunt moose with. I wanted a long range practice rifle and coyote to whitetail or black bear. I am an avid moose hunter as I go every year. My usual set up was a Remington 700 xcr tac II chambered in 300. Win mag with whatever shot well out of it (most recently was using 215 hybrids never got to try out on moose) and a Remington 700 bdl 7mm mag back up rifle. The 300. Win mag I ended up selling and the new 260. Rem shoots unbelievably well with 140 hornady Amax pushed at 2847fps and the 140. Berger hybrids pushed around 2880-2915 (unconfirmed velocity-more testing to come). The hybrids shot in the .3's at 100 yards with the best group/furthest tested was a .437 5 shot group at 300 yards and more common is .6-.8 5 shot groups. While waiting for more Bergers I tested the hornady Amax as I had hundreds sitting around and best group shot was .9085 3 shot group at 615 yards. Starting to wonder if maybe I should give this rifle a shot on moose this season or just stick with the factory bdl in 7mm mag pushing the 160gr accubonds?

At any distance the .260 would be useful on moose I doubt there would be a practical difference between a MOA load and a 1/4 MOA load on such a large animal. I don't know what distances you typically shoot your moose at but the 6.5 sweed has slayed them with 160gr round nose bullets for some time now.

AMAX would be a little light for my taste, maybe with a bonded or mono metal bullet.

Barnes ttsx or a partition would hold up better than an Amax or Berger. 1/4moa vs 3/4 isn't going to matter on a moose in my opinion.

I more recently built a 260. Rem that I had no real plan to hunt moose with. I wanted a long range practice rifle and coyote to whitetail or black bear. I am an avid moose hunter as I go every year. My usual set up was a Remington 700 xcr tac II chambered in 300. Win mag with whatever shot well out of it (most recently was using 215 hybrids never got to try out on moose) and a Remington 700 bdl 7mm mag back up rifle. The 300. Win mag I ended up selling and the new 260. Rem shoots unbelievably well with 140 hornady Amax pushed at 2847fps and the 140. Berger hybrids pushed around 2880-2915 (unconfirmed velocity-more testing to come). The hybrids shot in the .3's at 100 yards with the best group/furthest tested was a .437 5 shot group at 300 yards and more common is .6-.8 5 shot groups. While waiting for more Bergers I tested the hornady Amax as I had hundreds sitting around and best group shot was .9085 3 shot group at 615 yards. Starting to wonder if maybe I should give this rifle a shot on moose this season or just stick with the factory bdl in 7mm mag pushing the 160gr accubonds?
The 260 is enough gun but I would not recommend using either the Berger or the Amax.

Hornady ELD-X, Interlock, or my favorite, the Interbond or Nosler accubond would all be much to be preferred than the Amax or Bergers if I was shooting them and the Nosler Partition was especially developed for Elk and Moose.

The 260 is not one Id suggest trying to use to punch the shoulders but if you can pick a good heart/lung shot and use a quality bullet I wouldnt be afraid to use it. Keep in mind that the 6.5x55 has been used extensively on Moose in Europe for around a hundred years and they are very similar ballistically.

The 7mm Rem of course offers you the ability to use much heavier bullets and at much higher velocity but the 260 will do the job if you do your part.

My buddy hits Alaska every couple years for moose, his favorite is a 6.5x284 with a Berger VLD. Last year's bull took a frontal shot just over 300 yard, mangles both lungs and he could not move but was still standing, second bullet center of the neck at 100 yards dropped him. Frontal shot exited just in front of a hind quarter second bullet I found just under the hide on the exit. You know moose anatomy well enough, I'd go with precision and put a 140 Berger just over the heart.

I'll see if I can get my hands on some accubonds and see how they shoot. If they shoot well this rifle with be coming with me. If not I have to decide weather I think the Berger is capable. It's hard to say it isn't when you see how well they work on elk! Should do just fine on moose. Otherwise the 7mm will be coming

The only bull moose I've ever killed took a 180 NP out of a 300 wby @ 200 yards. Showed no indication of being hit, didn't break stride or anything. Found him dead about 100 yards away...bullet performed great, exited the off shoulder. I'm sure a well constructed 6.5 bullet will kill a moose, but I'd use a controlled expansion bullet and pick my shots accordingly.

Yah moose have a tendency to act like nothing has happened after recieving some hot lead allowing for a follow up shot that is as easy and well placed as the first. But have also seen moose with decent shots run and tracked for 2.2km's on a good shot. Tough animals. That's why I'm asking about the 260. Rem. I'm more curious if anyone has tried it yet and what's there thoughts.

We have taken two moose with a 264 WM shooting 140 Berger Hunting VLD's. One was at 265 yards and the other at 692. Neither one went more than 2 steps. I guess it depends on the situation as to whether it would be a good choice but I think the 260 will anchor them pretty well.

I've read a bunch that the 6.5 hybrids are too solid and doesn't open up enough on deer or doesn't always open up on deer. And I've read a few times that the 6.5 vld's are sometimes too soft for thick skinned big game or heavy bone. So wouldn't the 140 hybrid be a good choice on black bear with all there fat and elk and moose with there thick hide and heavy bone incase you hit bone?

I've seen elk and AK moose shot with both the hunting and hybrid, don't see much difference unless your shooting a rifle that is roughing up the hunting bullets which I've seen once and then the hybrid acted like the hunting. The 6.5 Berger 140's are rugged, I punch a lead cow elk last year at 300 yards smack in the center of the shoulder, heavy quartering away to the point I was timing it so I would miss her rear end. Crushed her shoulder, blew a 2 inch hole into her chest, violated the front of her lungs and trashed the major arteries and I found the base of the core and jacket on the of side of her neck, she hoped two steps and flipped over backwards and skidded down to within 10 yards of me. I have not had one stop in a deer, even big mulies. I'm shooting them 3234 fps, don't buy into some of the internet BS! I'd suggest loading them and going and finding a deer and blowing a hole through them and see what you think for yourself!

The berger 140 hunting vld work just fine for moose, at least here in Sweden, they're a good long range option but if you're gonna stay within 300yd id give the 160gr Hornady RN a look, it's the go too bullet for a lot of moose hunters up north with the 6.5x55
Or perhaps even better, the 160gr Woodleigh PPSN which has both pretty good BC and is built like a tank.

The 260's are about the same as the 6.5swede, performance wise, so they should work pretty good

It's just if the 140 hybrid is tougher it sounds like a better option for moose vs the hunting incase I hit bone. But I also don't want no expansion.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.