6.5 Creedmoor for moose

I'll fan the flames a little. Waiting on my supper to finish cooking. I knew a guy that killed a Polar Bear with a .257 Weatherby. He poached it in Siberia during the cold war. It was quite a story. Pretty sure he was using 115gr partitions. The story isnt relevent here except it took 5 good hits to kill him. They were lucky the bear didnt come for them. Point is little guns and big animals can get you in trouble. He was very lucky.

Guess I'm weighing in late on this thread and probably every point that can be made has been made already. But I guess we all got opinions to express....I live where moose live and are hunted every year. I've killed moose so this isn't armchair knowledge, I'm sure under the right conditions it will kill one. But what about other considerations like boy hope he don't run further out in that cedar bog (it will take winches, come alongs, and a lot of strong young backs to ever get him out) or maybe the angle is all wrong for a good well placed shot but its now or never. Better be good at cuttin' one up on his hide and packin' him out. We shot a small bull that went 874lb's dressed and that 308 I was carrying didn't seem a bit too big, 180gr partition was up to the job and dropped him where he stood but would have preferred something a little bigger at that moment. I see a signature that goes don't carry whats gonna work under good conditions but what will work when everything goes wrong. They shoot moose up here over a 1000lb's every year and they aren't all standing out in tote roads. Ours was chasing a cow and when he saw us he spun around facing us and that was the shot we got. Took 2 hours to drag him 100yds to the closest spot to get to him. So the short answer is No I wouldn't hunt moose with a 6.5CM. Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.